TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:32:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bandcamp  (Read 1076 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« on: October 19, 2023, 11:32:57 AM »

I'm sure a number of us buy music through Bandcamp.  Having been bought up earlier this year, and now sold on again, it sounds like their future is in doubt, which will I'm sure affect not just us fans but also the many smaller musicians who sell through them.

"The fall of Bandcamp would be, at the risk of sounding melodramatic, catastrophic for independent music communities. It is the only equitable music streaming platform and marketplace with any prominence."

https://www.themarysue.com/bandcamps-future-is-uncertain-and-that-is-devastating-for-independent-music/

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 11:43:56 AM »

Aye, it's very concerning.  I've spent thousands on there...I have over 200 items on my collection and I know for a fact that for some musician friends it's the only method of selling their music in small numbers that allows them to make a little profit or at least not lose money.

It's the usual thing...In it's desire to slash costs and maximise profits, 'capital' finds a way of ruining everything good.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 12:22:57 PM »

Yes, I have nearly 250 items in my collection. Just make sure you have them all safely downloaded and backed up!

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 12:52:11 PM »

Yes, I have nearly 250 items in my collection. Just make sure you have them all safely downloaded and backed up!

Oh I most assuredly do.  The one thing about Bandcamp I've always rather disliked is the app.  It's never worked properly for me so I always play the downloads.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2023, 05:20:48 PM »

Oh I most assuredly do.  The one thing about Bandcamp I've always rather disliked is the app.  It's never worked properly for me so I always play the downloads.

Same here...

The other thing I like about BC is the way one gets led down often strange byways to discoveries which would almost certainly remain undiscovered.  Earlier today - the Culture Dub Orchestra - W Midlands-based reggae/roots/world music outfit...

Flobbadob!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2023, 05:25:41 PM »

Yes, I've discovered a number of acts I probably never would have otherwise.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: