TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:30:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SWARB! It Suits Him Well - Official Tour  (Read 47196 times)
folkicons

Solderer of Fortune

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2017, 12:18:43 AM »

That works for me and the gig is listed.

"The bride wore Black & Decker"
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2017, 07:28:50 AM »

That's literally just gone up.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2017, 06:51:56 PM »

My friend Dick and I might go to the gig in Maldon 2 Feb, coming from The Netherlands.
However we'd also like to go and see our mates from The Jigantics in Old, Northamptonshire the day after.
By public transport this is pretty much impossible (it is possible, but takes many hours and would be via London Centre, aargh, won't bother).
Will anyone out there be at the Maldon gig and drive northwestwards, doesn't have to be to Old but roughtly Northampton-bound? And have space for two musicminded Dutchmen? Probably not I know, but cannot hurt trying!  Undecided

Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2017, 07:08:51 PM »

My friend Dick and I might go to the gig in Maldon 2 Feb, coming from The Netherlands.
However we'd also like to go and see our mates from The Jigantics in Old, Northamptonshire the day after.
By public transport this is pretty much impossible (it is possible, but takes many hours and would be via London Centre, aargh, won't bother).
Will anyone out there be at the Maldon gig and drive northwestwards, doesn't have to be to Old but roughtly Northampton-bound? And have space for two musicminded Dutchmen? Probably not I know, but cannot hurt trying!  Undecided

I’m going to the Swarb gig in Maldon but unfortunately will not be driving anywhere - sorry!  However have you thought about hiring a car?

Born to Run (but not very fast)
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2017, 07:32:35 PM »

Well, none of us are drivers. Then it would've been easy  Smiley
Alternatively maybe is there any local/regional "what's on" for the day after? If we go to the Maldon gig on 2 Feb, we're likely back in NL 4 Feb. So we're looking for some gig 3 Feb, managable from Maldon (and without car. Which probably makes it impossible). Guess Old, Northampton is likely out of the question!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2017, 08:55:56 PM »

How are you getting to/from Maldon? Presumably by train/bus? From/through London?

Go stay in London on 3rd - can recommend Shake the Chains (google it for musicians/project - its worth catching!)

koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2017, 09:43:48 AM »

Via Stansted, apparently 2 easy bus journeys. The 3rd, will keep it in mind, thanks! Though not terribly keen on London ...
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2017, 10:08:37 AM »

The X10 to Chelmsford & the 318 from the bus stop adjacent to Maldon.

Yep, quite easy but not sure of the frequency of the 318.

There appears to be no club meeting on that Saturday & your problem if you don't move accomodation will be getting transport back to Maldon afterwards. Rural Essex buses stop wuite early in the evening.

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2018, 12:28:31 AM »

Very enjoyable gig tonight. (despite shocking sound problems)
A fitting wake fo one of my musical heroes. Lovely to see JillSwarb too.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2018, 12:38:15 AM »

the sound was bad at ulverston particularly in the first half too me it was is it bad sound or did they just sound bad. John Kirkpatrick was great, as was Carthy as for the Jason Wilson just poor novelty lounge jazz covers and as for the reggae influence no sign of it

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Nygel

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2018, 06:48:00 PM »

We had a great time in London. a full room of people who went away happy.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2018, 08:09:28 PM »

the sound was bad at ulverston particularly in the first half too me it was is it bad sound or did they just sound bad. John Kirkpatrick was great, as was Carthy as for the Jason Wilson just poor novelty lounge jazz covers and as for the reggae influence no sign of it

It was bad sound. New kit that day apparently, and no real idea how to use it. IMO.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
DawnG

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2018, 10:16:22 AM »

Excellent gig at an almost sold out Nettlebed last night wasn't really sure what to expect but really enjoyed it . Sound was also really good.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2018, 10:34:00 AM »

I was there too and enjoyed most of it.  Review in the Recent Gigs thread.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2018, 07:57:46 PM »

Maldon Town Hall, David Hughes opened with a few numbers which put us in the mood and made us smile.  I didn't like it much for the first 3 numbers (oh no thought I, it's far too jazzy), then it kinda grew on me once Carthy and JKP joined in. The evening got better until' My love is like a red red rose'  Roll Eyes.. Zaynab on percussion was really good and she sang so beautifully. Simon Swarbrick definitely has the family resemblance, enjoyed his playing.  As for Matty Groves and the reggae  Huh

I was left pondering as to why the Jason Wilson band led this Swarb tribute and at times saw no connection with Swarb's lifetime's work?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 08:27:50 PM by JJ (Joanna) » Logged

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2018, 09:26:35 PM »

Maldon Town Hall, David Hughes opened with a few numbers which put us in the mood and made us smile.  I didn't like it much for the first 3 numbers (oh no thought I, it's far too jazzy), then it kinda grew on me once Carthy and JKP joined in. The evening got better until' My love is like a red red rose'  Roll Eyes.. Zaynab on percussion was really good and she sang so beautifully. Simon Swarbrick definitely has the family resemblance, enjoyed his playing.  As for Matty Groves and the reggae  Huh

I was left pondering as to why the Jason Wilson band led this Swarb tribute and at times saw no connection with Swarb's lifetime's work?

I was there too (see Recent Gigs) and tend to agree. Thought it was an interesting evening but simon’s playing was swamped a bit by the sax

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2018, 12:08:40 PM »

Very much my thoughts too (see Recent Gigs)

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2018, 06:06:13 PM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05yrs30

"Highlights from the debut performance at Hebden Bridge Trades Club" to be broadcast on BBC Radio Leeds - "The Durbervilles" tomorrow evening 8pm.

here is the live webstream:
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_leeds.m3u8
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2018, 11:00:01 AM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05yrs30

"Highlights from the debut performance at Hebden Bridge Trades Club" to be broadcast on BBC Radio Leeds - "The Durbervilles" tomorrow evening 8pm.

here is the live webstream:
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_leeds.m3u8

thanks for this I shall give it a listen
 Smiley

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: