TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:19:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ashley - Gloucester Docks Revisted!  (Read 12838 times)
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« on: January 27, 2018, 05:24:32 PM »

I read on Ashley's site that he is working on a "Gloucester Docks Revisited and other tales of love" double CD project for release in the summer!! I'll never forget his All Stars tour in 1988, seeing the Colchester, Royton and Islington gigs. A reprise for the new album would be wonderful!
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 11:31:08 PM »

I read on Ashley's site that he is working on a "Gloucester Docks Revisited and other tales of love" double CD project for release in the summer!! I'll never forget his All Stars tour in 1988, seeing the Colchester, Royton and Islington gigs. A reprise for the new album would be wonderful!

Very interesting - there's a strong case for "By Gloucester Docks..." to be Ashley's masterpiece. At the very least it's one of the most important albums he's ever made, any news of a revival is very welcome !
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 07:49:01 AM »

I'm ashamed to say I've never heard it, possibly even heard of it.

Dan, would you care to expand upon your 'strong case' to try and convince me...?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 11:22:40 AM »

It's the true story of a doomed love affair between our hero (AH) and someone who cannot be named - an affair that's requited but for various reasons cannot continue.

The music is emotional and expansive featuring luminaries such as Phil Beer, Pete Zorn, Graeme Taylor, Dave Mattacks, Polly Bolton and Christine Collister, and spoken passages from actors Michael Pennington and Marilyn Cutts. Songs such as "Dancing Under The Rose - Again" and "Brief Encounters" underline the raw emotions AH has been brave enough to put on show.

If you can get hold of the CD-ROM of Brian Hinton & Geoff Wall's superb AH biography "Always Chasing Rainbows", part 2 of The Guv'nor, there's a whole chapter devoted to the story and making of this album.

On the back of Talking Elephant's 2013 reissue of the album :

"When I first heard this wonderful piece I knew I was hearing something that was not just heartfelt and personal, but beautiful, original, and fresh. 26 years on I have still heard nothing remotely like it."
Simon Nicol

"This is an album that should be on every shelf. Heroic writing from Ashley and the haunting voice of one of England's most beautiful singers, Polly Bolton. The performances throughout are exceptional whilst the narrative reaches into the heart and gently tugs."
Chris While

"All too rarely somebody gets a concept album right. The late 1980's produced two for me : Bruce Springsteen's 'Tunnel Of Love' and released in the same year and sharing his theme of lost love, Ashley Hutchings' seminal 'By Gloucester Docks...', which is not only truly inspired but also produced one of my favourite songs, 'Brief Encounters'. Stunning."
Julie Matthews

Having read all about the album in the Hinton & Wall biography, I was intrigued enough to find a copy on Amazon, about 9 years ago now, and have loved it ever since. Well worth exploring.

Pictured below the original "clown" cover and the Talking Elephant reissue.

[attachment deleted by admin]
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 12:46:41 PM »

There is also "By Gloucester Docks.........-Live" by AH All Stars (AH, Polly Bolton, Clive Gregson, DM, John Shepherd & Pete Zorn) from 1999 on Road Goes On Forever label. Worth a listen.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
StephenGiles

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 01:03:56 PM »

Here is the wonderful Folk on 2 session they did:

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/AshleyHutchingsAllstars1988-06-22BBC.asx
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 02:14:40 PM »

Thanks guys.  I see the latter version is on Spotify.  Will have a listen  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 02:39:40 PM »

This interests me greatly.  I'm not familiar with the whole of AH's catalogue, but I latched onto BGD etc. in the 80s and like it very much. Also like the now  reissued Allstars live album.  
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 07:53:27 PM »

Thanks for that!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 10:32:35 AM »

Think that's the one I still have on tape.  Smiley
StephenGiles

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 12:35:56 PM »

Ashley also toured Gloucester Docks with members of the Albion Band plus Elaine Morgan in early 1989. We caught them at Windsor Arts Centre!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 07:52:36 AM »

Oh dear, I'll be honest...I'm really struggling here.  From my point of view I'm finding it hard to locate the folk-rock masterpiece (which so many reviews point out, especially following the 2013 rerelease) underneath the a) sub music hall 'fluff' of the quieter moments, and the frankly irritating 80's twangy rock (who is the guitarist - they're absolutely desperate to be Mark Knopfler..?) style of the louder, heavier stuff.  There are moments where I think 'this is a great song' and then a lyric* or a guitar sound get in the way.  When that doesn't happen the rather dated production sound does.  Harumph.  I'm really annoyed.  I so wanted to love it....

* the lyrics to Ring on Her Finger had me literally hiding behind a cushion.

ps is Christine Collister on this?  I thought Polly B was the female singer, but I swear I can hear Christine on some of it?

Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 08:55:04 AM »

Oh dear, I'll be honest...I'm really struggling here.  From my point of view I'm finding it hard to locate the folk-rock masterpiece (which so many reviews point out, especially following the 2013 rerelease) underneath the a) sub music hall 'fluff' of the quieter moments, and the frankly irritating 80's twangy rock (who is the guitarist - they're absolutely desperate to be Mark Knopfler..?) style of the louder, heavier stuff.  There are moments where I think 'this is a great song' and then a lyric* or a guitar sound get in the way.  When that doesn't happen the rather dated production sound does.  Harumph.  I'm really annoyed.  I so wanted to love it....

ps is Christine Collister on this?  I thought Polly B was the female singer, but I swear I can hear Christine on some of it?

Polly Bolton sings the lion's share. Christine Collister sings the opening track and does some bv's. The guitarist is Graeme Taylor.

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 11:31:23 AM »

I think I know what you mean, David,  but I find myself liking it in spite of its embarrassing  shortcomings.. It's not one to play very often, and only when in precisely the mood.
red max

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 03:46:49 PM »

Given all the superb albums he's been involved with over the years (Liege & Lief, Please To See The King, Morris On, Compleat Dancing Master, etc.) By Gloucester Docks would need to be a hell of an album to be considered a highpoint of Ashley's career. I had the original vinyl and gave it several spins before deciding it just wasn't for me. It's been a while since I heard it, but my strongest recollection is some rather plummy-voiced actors ("It is true, it IS true!") I think a lot of artists who made great music in the 60s & 70s tried to sound relevant in the 80s, and their albums from that decade can grate a bit
StephenGiles

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 11:03:37 PM »

I have always considered it to be a superb album, as were the band's 3 performances I saw.  Smiley I am very much looking forward to the "revisited" album!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 09:04:10 AM »

I have always considered it to be a superb album, as were the band's 3 performances I saw.  Smiley I am very much looking forward to the "revisited" album!

Was ist das?

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 10:53:34 AM »

First Post on this thread...

Flobbadob!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: