TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:38:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1073027 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1720 on: November 22, 2021, 12:33:01 PM »

I don't seem to have been sent (or to have received) this newsletter either Huh

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1721 on: November 22, 2021, 12:37:14 PM »

If it helps, it was sent to me on Friday at exactly 17:00 from mailshot@fairportconvention.com

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1722 on: November 22, 2021, 12:42:18 PM »

If it helps, it was sent to me on Friday at exactly 17:00 from mailshot@fairportconvention.com

Thanks. Checked Spam, etc, and still can't see it.

Update: dropped a line to FC via the website and had a copy of the newsletter in my box within 5 mins!  That's service!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 12:54:00 PM by Will S » Logged

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1723 on: November 22, 2021, 03:13:38 PM »

Can I just clarify something about ordering from FC...if one pays with PayPal does one receive anything other than a receipt from PayPal themselves.  I've got one of them, but when I went back into the website just now it shows the items I bought (a warm up Tues ticket and a Farewell shirt) as still in the Cart?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1724 on: November 22, 2021, 03:44:55 PM »

On this morning's evidence, I'd drop them a line and just check that they got the order.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1725 on: November 22, 2021, 04:24:43 PM »

Can I just clarify something about ordering from FC...if one pays with PayPal does one receive anything other than a receipt from PayPal themselves.  I've got one of them, but when I went back into the website just now it shows the items I bought (a warm up Tues ticket and a Farewell shirt) as still in the Cart?

I ordered a T shirt on Saturday but I only got a Paypal receipt too  so i think that is probably normal.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1726 on: November 22, 2021, 05:03:27 PM »

I ordered the same items through Paypal & they are still shewing in the cart. However, I have had a confirmation email from 'merchandise@fairportconvention.com, as well as Paypal'.

Still no newsletter, despite a reminder. Roll Eyes

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1727 on: November 22, 2021, 05:42:20 PM »

Just had a response from Gareth.  Great service as always.  All fine...but the inconsistencies between experiences are a little strange.  The website (and back end technology) really does look like it needs to be updated.  It's not quite Park Records but it's not a million miles away.

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1728 on: November 22, 2021, 05:46:45 PM »

"Talking of Cropredy, Richard Digance can’t make it next year (he’s at The Edinburgh Festival) but we’ll be announcing his replacement for the Saturday lunchtime slot very soon."

Unless I've missed them somehow, I haven't seen the usual flurry of complaints that typically follow news of Mr D's absence in that field. I wonder why ?
bob_g

Loc: Mitcham

Bob

« Reply #1729 on: November 22, 2021, 10:20:12 PM »

I might have whinged about it had I known, no newsletter here, last one I got was the Live announcement in July. Have I missed any others since then? But if he’s off doing Edinburgh I guess that’s a good enough excuse! ;-)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1730 on: November 22, 2021, 10:36:31 PM »

"Talking of Cropredy, Richard Digance can’t make it next year (he’s at The Edinburgh Festival) but we’ll be announcing his replacement for the Saturday lunchtime slot very soon."

Unless I've missed them somehow, I haven't seen the usual flurry of complaints that typically follow news of Mr D's absence in that field. I wonder why ?
There's plenty on Facebook. He's more popular than you give him credit for!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #1731 on: November 23, 2021, 08:57:04 AM »

Most folk here know my opinion about Mr D. I hope they get a decent act to replace him.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1732 on: November 23, 2021, 10:27:54 AM »

Most folk here know my opinion about Mr D. I hope they get a decent act to replace him.
Jasper Carrott is touring...

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #1733 on: November 23, 2021, 10:28:40 AM »

Jasper Carrott is touring...

that would be rather splendid
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #1734 on: November 23, 2021, 10:33:53 AM »

Just give Keith Donnelly the gig - he deserves it.

DW
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1735 on: November 23, 2021, 04:00:45 PM »

Ok, I've seen some of the comments regarding Digance not appearing next year. Yes, he's very popular. My own take on the situation is when he first did the slot way back in 2002, he was very good - old school folk comedy but funny, and I'd always make an effort to catch his set.

As the years went by, however, it became apparent that he's a bit of a one trick pony, and the act became more and more stale and predictable, culminating in the dreadful Daily Mail style rants, e.g. "England one day will be great, we just don't know the date" (I'm aware that's probably not an exact quote, but it was in that ballpark).

While there's nothing wrong with familiarity, comfort zones, predictably safe in the knowledge that Cropredy Saturday lunchtime = Digance, maybe it would be a good idea to alternate the slot with other performers, give someone else a chance, reflect that times have changed, whatever your take might be, etc.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1736 on: November 23, 2021, 07:01:18 PM »

While there's nothing wrong with familiarity, comfort zones, predictably safe in the knowledge that Cropredy Saturday lunchtime = Digance, maybe it would be a good idea to alternate the slot with other performers, give someone else a chance, reflect that times have changed, whatever your take might be, etc.

We've been here before.  He'll be back in 2023 you can guarantee it.  I saw him supporting FC twice in the early 80s at Wimbledon Theatre.  The first time I quite enjoyed it.  I was about 15.  The second time it was almost identical.  Throw in the dodgy views and really he's a total folk club anachronism.  To my mind, it doesn't reflect that well on the festival organizers or audience how well he goes down.

blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #1737 on: November 23, 2021, 07:35:48 PM »

We've been here before.  He'll be back in 2023 you can guarantee it.  I saw him supporting FC twice in the early 80s at Wimbledon Theatre.  The first time I quite enjoyed it.  I was about 15.  The second time it was almost identical.  Throw in the dodgy views and really he's a total folk club anachronism.  To my mind, it doesn't reflect that well on the festival organizers or audience how well he goes down.

Other political views are democratically available which may not necessarily match yours.  Wink
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1738 on: November 23, 2021, 07:57:12 PM »

Other political views are democratically available which may not necessarily match yours.  Wink
I’m quite happy to trust Fairport’s judgement. They’re old buddies. Life’s too short to be offended at everything!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1739 on: November 23, 2021, 11:28:19 PM »

This is Fairport Chatter not Digance Chatter.

Let's stick to the topic.

Andy in rare Admin role.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: