TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:32:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1073431 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1360 on: March 13, 2020, 01:13:51 PM »

What Paul said.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #1361 on: March 13, 2020, 01:38:00 PM »

Thanks Al  Smiley

I love seeing people's pictures of old Cropredy Festivals - it brings back that first mouthwatering vibe of entering a certain field on a breezy August morning.... Fez

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
GarethW

« Reply #1362 on: March 14, 2020, 03:09:27 PM »

I've got the EP, though I'm pretty sure it didn't come in connection with the Cropredy Capers box. There's nothing on it to suggest it's even recorded at Cropredy, it just says 'Mixed live to CD by Rob Braviner'. Here's the cover:

Never seen that in my life. Can you recall where you got it from? Free Reed? FC website? Wintour merch stand? Can't imagine how I missed it.

It's all a bit vague, to be honest - certainly not Free Reed or online. Most likely a Wintour merch, I think. Here's the cover in all its fold-out glory!

This CD was one of 500 (I think) given out with the first Cropredy 2005 ticket purchasers as an incentive to book early in our first year. It was a forerunner to the 'Off The Desk' CD which came out later.
The photo for the cover was actually taken at Hammersmith Odeon (Apollo) before soundcheck on a Daniel Beddingfield tour I was doing. Brav and his family came along and we printed off the set list,'scrunched' it up a bit, laid it on the desk with a radio mic (which Fairport never used) and took a snap with my phone. There you go, mystery solved - and a little look into the behind-the-scenes skulduggery that goes on in the name of merchandise - albeit free merch!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1363 on: March 14, 2020, 03:57:00 PM »

I've got the EP, though I'm pretty sure it didn't come in connection with the Cropredy Capers box. There's nothing on it to suggest it's even recorded at Cropredy, it just says 'Mixed live to CD by Rob Braviner'. Here's the cover:

Never seen that in my life. Can you recall where you got it from? Free Reed? FC website? Wintour merch stand? Can't imagine how I missed it.

It's all a bit vague, to be honest - certainly not Free Reed or online. Most likely a Wintour merch, I think. Here's the cover in all its fold-out glory!

This CD was one of 500 (I think) given out with the first Cropredy 2005 ticket purchasers as an incentive to book early in our first year. It was a forerunner to the 'Off The Desk' CD which came out later.
The photo for the cover was actually taken at Hammersmith Odeon (Apollo) before soundcheck on a Daniel Beddingfield tour I was doing. Brav and his family came along and we printed off the set list,'scrunched' it up a bit, laid it on the desk with a radio mic (which Fairport never used) and took a snap with my phone. There you go, mystery solved - and a little look into the behind-the-scenes skulduggery that goes on in the name of merchandise - albeit free merch!

Thanks Gareth . I've got one but had totally forgotten that!!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1364 on: March 16, 2020, 12:10:42 PM »

Bit late to the party here... I had the voucher for the 5th CD for Fairport Unconventional but by the time I got round to ordering it (many years later....) it had sold out. I'll be honest, I hardly ever listen to this box set so is there anything on the 5th CD that is worth paying silly money for?

(silly money for a cd = > £20)

It's got tracks featuring non Fairport people like Ian Anderson, if that sort of thing floats your boat.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1365 on: April 09, 2020, 06:25:56 PM »

So, here’s a thing posted on social media regarding musicians who almost joined other bands...

“When Dave Mattacks did a drum clinic for us back in 82/3? at the Kingfisher, we went for an indian, he got the phone brought to the table to check in with his wife in america all of this no mobiles, etc im a young ish drummer in awe of this incredible talent, the y bring the phone around to him mid meal! he takes it, and the conversation goes, no i wont join the band! You pay me i play! i dont need my name in lights! this goes on three times, and he is getting pissed off! im sitting making small talk, and bang phone is wheeled back! he says loudly! look fk off im not joining! "Emerson Lake And Mattacks" would look fkn stupid anyway!”

It’s a reliable witness...

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1366 on: April 09, 2020, 07:48:47 PM »

So, here’s a thing posted on social media regarding musicians who almost joined other bands...

“When Dave Mattacks did a drum clinic for us back in 82/3? at the Kingfisher, we went for an indian, he got the phone brought to the table to check in with his wife in america all of this no mobiles, etc im a young ish drummer in awe of this incredible talent, the y bring the phone around to him mid meal! he takes it, and the conversation goes, no i wont join the band! You pay me i play! i dont need my name in lights! this goes on three times, and he is getting pissed off! im sitting making small talk, and bang phone is wheeled back! he says loudly! look fk off im not joining! "Emerson Lake And Mattacks" would look fkn stupid anyway!”

It’s a reliable witness...

Brilliant ! ELM - Emerson Lake & Mattacks ? Got a certain ring to it...

Of course, when Greg and Keith wanted to reform the band in the 80's, and Carl Palmer was with Asia/not interested, they went through the A-Z of great drummers, auditioned the great Simon Phillips, eventually hiring Cozy Powell, so that the ELP moniker wouldn't need changing !
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1367 on: April 09, 2020, 08:13:01 PM »

Wife in America?  I didn't think the US came until much much later?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1368 on: April 09, 2020, 08:34:50 PM »

Wife in America?  I didn't think the US came until much much later?

All it says that his wife was in America. I mean, my wife’s on the sofa at the moment but, you know...

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #1369 on: April 21, 2020, 02:59:40 PM »

I wonder when (if) FC will give us a streaming treat ..

Thompo has fine two gigs
Steve Knightley - Martin Simpsn - Seth Lakeman et al Folk on Foot
SHow of Hands streaming the Minnack Theatre show on Friday

The list goes on, but all a bit quiet in Fairport land.

DW
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1370 on: April 21, 2020, 03:22:05 PM »

Chris Leslie has been putting some tunes up on Facebook.  Getting all 5 of Fairport together over the internet from their homes might be rather more complicated.  And I don't know that they have filmed any gigs recently that could be streamed - there were a few about 10 years ago or more now that were released on DVD.  Other than the films from the last few Cropredys that have been put up on Youtube anyway.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1371 on: April 22, 2020, 02:26:40 PM »

2019's Cropredy gig has never made it to YouTube, although 2018's is there.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1372 on: May 06, 2020, 08:37:19 PM »

The June 2020 Fairport cruise, Who Knows Where the Rhine Goes?, has been rescheduled for September-October 2021, and moved to the Danube. We've been invited to (i) cancel for a refund, (ii) sign up for the rescheduled date, or (iii) book one of the handful of remaining cabins on the June 2021 Danube cruise. Much to consider, such as, for example, what's the weather like along the Danube in early October?
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #1373 on: May 06, 2020, 08:47:40 PM »

The June 2020 Fairport cruise, Who Knows Where the Rhine Goes?, has been rescheduled for September-October 2021, and moved to the Danube. We've been invited to (i) cancel for a refund, (ii) sign up for the rescheduled date, or (iii) book one of the handful of remaining cabins on the June 2021 Danube cruise. Much to consider, such as, for example, what's the weather like along the Danube in early October?

Depends where you are going. It is a long river!
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1374 on: May 06, 2020, 09:05:10 PM »

Depends where you are going. It is a long river!

Starts in Bucharest, Romania, September 29, 2021, cruises west and ends in Budapest, Hungary, 9 days later. Passes through Romania/Bulgaria, Serbia, and Hungary. It looks as though the average temperatures during early October range from lows of 40F to highs in the 60sF.  Maybe a bit cold for Mrs. J From A, for whom Cropredy in August can be uncomfortable after sunset.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #1375 on: May 06, 2020, 10:10:09 PM »

I was in Budapest in late September and it was shorts and tshirt weather, even in the evenings

I can’t transfer to the June cruise as there are no single cabins. The ‘new’ trip is 9 not 7 nights too.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1376 on: May 07, 2020, 05:49:48 AM »

I was in Budapest in late September and it was shorts and tshirt weather, even in the evenings

I can’t transfer to the June cruise as there are no single cabins. The ‘new’ trip is 9 not 7 nights too.

I will pass this on to Mrs. J From A! She's inclined to go on the Autumn cruise, which coincides with her birthday, as long as it's not too cold. I'm mildly concerned that it conflicts with the college football season, but only mildly. Smiley
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #1377 on: May 07, 2020, 09:51:55 AM »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandy-Denny-Box-Set/dp/B003N18PI2/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=SANDY+DENNY&qid=1588841371&sr=8-13

Because you're a friend you can have my copy for a grand!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1378 on: May 07, 2020, 10:09:36 AM »

If I had it, I might take you up on that.  I very much regret not having the readies at the time.  There was a lot of politics involved in that box - most of which I don't really understand, but Andrew Batt who put it together is a very nice chap.

ps if you want to really splash out, there's a copy on eBay for £1500  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #1379 on: May 07, 2020, 10:37:10 AM »

If I had it, I might take you up on that.  I very much regret not having the readies at the time.  There was a lot of politics involved in that box - most of which I don't really understand, but Andrew Batt who put it together is a very nice chap.

ps if you want to really splash out, there's a copy on eBay for £1500  Grin

Bought mine for about £20 from a bookshop in Brighton, crazy times when you have to contemplate adding a CD box set to your Home Contents Insurance policy.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: