TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:55:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1072659 times)
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #1340 on: February 28, 2020, 01:23:21 PM »

Have just looked at the copy of Cropredy Capers that I was given by Free Reed and I cannot find any mention of any 5th CD anywhere..
Mind you I am having problems reading very small print at the moment!  Smiley

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1341 on: February 28, 2020, 02:02:49 PM »

Have just looked at the copy of Cropredy Capers that I was given by Free Reed and I cannot find any mention of any 5th CD anywhere..

From the discussion on FB it seems that some boxes mention it and some don't. Examples of both below.

* cropbox 1.jpg (72.67 KB, 500x960 - viewed 1237 times.)

* cropbox 2.jpg (37.54 KB, 960x492 - viewed 1237 times.)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1342 on: February 28, 2020, 02:07:30 PM »

Interesting. I lost the physical boxes of all my Free Reed sets some years ago in some flood damage (but not the books or other materials). But I remember that white box on the back of my set and thinking how very odd to have a plain white box for no reason. But now I know the reason it was there!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #1343 on: February 28, 2020, 02:45:33 PM »

Ah right. mine has no mention of the bonus CD Smiley

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Jamie

« Reply #1344 on: February 28, 2020, 02:49:42 PM »

I've got the EP, though I'm pretty sure it didn't come in connection with the Cropredy Capers box. There's nothing on it to suggest it's even recorded at Cropredy, it just says 'Mixed live to CD by Rob Braviner'. Here's the cover:

* Photo on 28-02-2020 at 14.36.jpg (74.82 KB, 723x652 - viewed 1233 times.)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:03:34 PM by Jamie » Logged
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1345 on: February 28, 2020, 03:11:19 PM »

I've got the EP, though I'm pretty sure it didn't come in connection with the Cropredy Capers box. There's nothing on it to suggest it's even recorded at Cropredy, it just says 'Mixed live to CD by Rob Braviner'. Here's the cover:

Never seen that in my life. Can you recall where you got it from? Free Reed? FC website? Wintour merch stand? Can't imagine how I missed it.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1346 on: February 28, 2020, 03:59:35 PM »

Never seen that in my life. Can you recall where you got it from? Free Reed? FC website? Wintour merch stand? Can't imagine how I missed it.
I seem to remember an email going out immediately after the Cropredy when it was recorded stating something along the lines of "we're only making xxx so get your order in now, when they're gone they're gone"

I'm sure I have one too.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1347 on: February 28, 2020, 04:02:18 PM »

Bit late to the party here... I had the voucher for the 5th CD for Fairport Unconventional but by the time I got round to ordering it (many years later....) it had sold out. I'll be honest, I hardly ever listen to this box set so is there anything on the 5th CD that is worth paying silly money for?

(silly money for a cd = > £20)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1348 on: February 28, 2020, 04:03:43 PM »

From the discussion on FB it seems that some boxes mention it and some don't. Examples of both below.

I'm guessing the reason the 5th CD doesn't get a mention on the 2nd pic is cos it's no 4669 - 'twas only the first 3000 that were "supposed" to have the voucher - which my copy, no 1054, although saying so on the box, never did have a voucher...

Flobbadob!
Jamie

« Reply #1349 on: February 28, 2020, 04:29:40 PM »

It's all a bit vague, to be honest - certainly not Free Reed or online. Most likely a Wintour merch, I think. Here's the cover in all its fold-out glory!

* FC 2004 Fold Out.jpg (132.13 KB, 1059x437 - viewed 1223 times.)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1350 on: February 28, 2020, 04:38:43 PM »

I seem to remember an email going out immediately after the Cropredy when it was recorded stating something along the lines of "we're only making xxx so get your order in now, when they're gone they're gone"

I'm sure I have one too.

Well if it did I never got that email. My box was pre-ordered and I had it before Cropredy. I remember this distinctly as I recall being surprised to see a pile of signed box sets in the record shop in Banbury over the festival weekend.
Mark Donmall

Loc: Tunbridge Wells

« Reply #1351 on: March 02, 2020, 11:03:51 AM »

Regarding the Cropredy Capers 5th CD, I had a vague memory of it not actually appearing and being sent an alternative freebie which, having now dug out my copy of box, turns out to be a souvenir programme for the SwardAid2 concert. I've found a letter from Free Reed in the box having 'pleasure in enclosing the item recently requested by you'. It's obviously a very generic letter as it says this is 'likely' to be one of the many write-in freebies offered with various box sets. It goes on to mention each of these (e.g. the 'guests' CD with Fairport unconventional). When it comes to Cropredy Capers it says there is the SwardAid2 programme replacing the CD which they 'were sadly unable to get permission to produce'.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1352 on: March 02, 2020, 11:41:34 AM »

Regarding the Cropredy Capers 5th CD, I had a vague memory of it not actually appearing and being sent an alternative freebie which, having now dug out my copy of box, turns out to be a souvenir programme for the SwardAid2 concert. I've found a letter from Free Reed in the box having 'pleasure in enclosing the item recently requested by you'. It's obviously a very generic letter as it says this is 'likely' to be one of the many write-in freebies offered with various box sets. It goes on to mention each of these (e.g. the 'guests' CD with Fairport unconventional). When it comes to Cropredy Capers it says there is the SwardAid2 programme replacing the CD which they 'were sadly unable to get permission to produce'.

Ah, looks like this is the answer. It never came out, although was intended.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1353 on: March 02, 2020, 12:20:28 PM »

Ah.  In my iTunes library it comes straight after the Cropredy Capers discs, which is I guess why I was thinking it belonged with that set.  Sorry for misleading you!

And on Discogs it says:
A 5th CD voucher was said to be included in the first 3000 copies of the box-set. It is not sure whether this bonus CD actually existed.

I certainly am pretty sure there was no voucher with my box, though I'm currently a few thousand miles away from it, so can't check!

Finally able to check mine.  Number 3509, so no voucher, or mention of it on the back of the box.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1354 on: March 09, 2020, 06:56:53 PM »

Record Collector reports that Pete Astor (Weather prophets/Loft) has covered VBL on his new album of covers...

See what you think?  https://peteastor1.bandcamp.com/track/vincent-black-lightning

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1355 on: March 12, 2020, 01:59:55 PM »

Whilst sorting through some papers this morning I came across a wallet of photographs labelled Cropredy 2006. I didn't know I had these. They were taken by my friend Chris who I ad introduced to both Fairport and Cropred y and who attended with me a couple of times and there is one picture of Chris and I standing by Cropredy Bridge. It is poignant to look at these now because Chris passed away suddenly the following year, a few months short of his 40th birthday but also because there are some lovely pictures here including a fantastic shot of Maart & Swarb signing together in the CD tent. An emotional and unexpected find.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1356 on: March 12, 2020, 02:26:33 PM »

Whilst sorting through some papers this morning I came across a wallet of photographs labelled Cropredy 2006. I didn't know I had these. They were taken by my friend Chris who I ad introduced to both Fairport and Cropred y and who attended with me a couple of times and there is one picture of Chris and I standing by Cropredy Bridge. It is poignant to look at these now because Chris passed away suddenly the following year, a few months short of his 40th birthday but also because there are some lovely pictures here including a fantastic shot of Maart & Swarb signing together in the CD tent. An emotional and unexpected find.
What a lovely find, poignant as you say, but great that you found them again  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1357 on: March 12, 2020, 02:40:19 PM »

What a lovely find, poignant as you say, but great that you found them again  Smiley

Awww, nice when that happens.  Poor Chris...39 is no bloody age.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1358 on: March 12, 2020, 05:29:50 PM »

Maart & Swarb, Yours Truly & Chris

* Maart & Swarb.jpg (557.49 KB, 1556x1110 - viewed 808 times.)

* Me Muso.jpg (648.29 KB, 2061x1472 - viewed 818 times.)

* Chris.jpg (830.34 KB, 2065x1488 - viewed 769 times.)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1359 on: March 12, 2020, 07:33:39 PM »

Great photos, Al, but so poignant...

Flobbadob!
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: