TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:57:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1082981 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1320 on: February 26, 2020, 12:06:21 PM »

Just checked my copy of The Best & The Guests and it was the bonus for Unconventional, as stated on the back of the sleeve.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jamie

« Reply #1321 on: February 26, 2020, 12:33:27 PM »

Hmm. the back of the Cropredy Capers box does say that the first 3,000 copies include a bonus 5th CD voucher. There isn't one in my box (number 0776) and I don't recall seeing or hearing a fifth CD for the set. All the other goodies are there, along with the spring 2004 Free Reed newsletter which announces the set's release with great fanfare and details all the extras but doesn't mention a fifth CD. If there is one I'd love to hear about it.
All very mysterious - I expect Nigel Schofield would have a definitive answer.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1322 on: February 26, 2020, 12:38:26 PM »

Hmm. the back of the Cropredy Capers box does say that the first 3,000 copies include a bonus 5th CD voucher. There isn't one in my box (number 0776) and I don't recall seeing or hearing a fifth CD for the set. All the other goodies are there, along with the spring 2004 Free Reed newsletter which announces the set's release with great fanfare and details all the extras but doesn't mention a fifth CD. If there is one I'd love to hear about it.
All very mysterious - I expect Nigel Schofield would have a definitive answer.

There is a copy for sale online including the extra disc but it does not give details of the content. I'm sure that I have it but I can't check until I get home from work. As it doesn't appear to form part of my digital music library I presume it wasn't anything very exciting but I may be looking in the wrong place.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1323 on: February 26, 2020, 01:32:48 PM »

Ah.  In my iTunes library it comes straight after the Cropredy Capers discs, which is I guess why I was thinking it belonged with that set.  Sorry for misleading you!

And on Discogs it says:
A 5th CD voucher was said to be included in the first 3000 copies of the box-set. It is not sure whether this bonus CD actually existed.

I certainly am pretty sure there was no voucher with my box, though I'm currently a few thousand miles away from it, so can't check!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1324 on: February 26, 2020, 01:37:33 PM »

I have a vague memory that you could send off for one, but it was a sampler for the other boxes...I'm probably wrong though.

I definitely sent off for mine. The voucher was in the unconventional box. I still have my cropredy Capers box sealed, believe it or not, so I dont know what's in it. I'll check the number when I get home.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 02:07:05 PM by Alan2 » Logged
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1325 on: February 26, 2020, 04:28:43 PM »

Just checked my boc of Cropredy Capers and there is no sign of a 5th bonus disc.
Im certain that i wouldn't have missed out had there been one.
Further digging may yet be required😕

Ive just had another check and i have the 2004 spring newsletter from Free Reed, where no mention of a 5th bonus, write in, disc exists.
The Fairport Unconventional box does have the write in 5th disc.  Also the Cropredy Capers box is one of the first 2000 as it has the chaps signarures on the underside, it is No.745.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 04:44:37 PM by Jim » Logged

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1326 on: February 26, 2020, 04:56:01 PM »

Just checked my boc of Cropredy Capers and there is no sign of a 5th bonus disc.

Ive just had another check and i have the 2004 spring newsletter from Free Reed, where no mention of a 5th bonus, write in, disc exists.
The Fairport Unconventional box does have the write in 5th disc.  Also the Cropredy Capers box is one of the first 2000 as it has the chaps signarures on the underside, it is No.745.

I was just about to post to say exactly this. In the box there is neither a voucher nor a 5th disc though these are both mentioned on the back of the box. As you say, the newsletter is within and does not mention the extra disc but does mention that the first 2000 copies would be signed, as mine is, being number 286. It is all a bit of a mystery, especially as there was a set for sale online claiming to include the 5th disc. This must surely all have been explained at the time. I wish my memory was better.

https://www.popsike.com/Fairport-Convention-Cropredy-Capers-5CD-BOX-SET-SIGNED/160294130504.html

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #1327 on: February 26, 2020, 06:51:51 PM »

I was just about to post to say exactly this. In the box there is neither a voucher nor a 5th disc though these are both mentioned on the back of the box. As you say, the newsletter is within and does not mention the extra disc but does mention that the first 2000 copies would be signed, as mine is, being number 286. It is all a bit of a mystery, especially as there was a set for sale online claiming to include the 5th disc. This must surely all have been explained at the time. I wish my memory was better.

https://www.popsike.com/Fairport-Convention-Cropredy-Capers-5CD-BOX-SET-SIGNED/160294130504.html

Just checked the Free Reed website and there is no mention of a bonus disc, whereas the Unconventional bonus disc still appears to be available!

Can the seller be contacted or is there an opportunity to ask a question if you are signed in to the site?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 07:12:23 PM by Jim » Logged

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1328 on: February 26, 2020, 10:01:04 PM »

Just checked the Free Reed website and there is no mention of a bonus disc, whereas the Unconventional bonus disc still appears to be available!

Can the seller be contacted or is there an opportunity to ask a question if you are signed in to the site?

Well the listing dates from 2008 so it seems unlikely.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1329 on: February 26, 2020, 11:07:57 PM »

I've got a signed one and no 5th disc. For those who haven't seen the box, there is a designated box for the signatures, so they aren't signatures obtained at a gig or similar.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #1330 on: February 27, 2020, 11:57:30 AM »

I've taken the liberty of asking the wider FC fanbase by posting about this conumdrum on Facebook's "Fairporters" group

The Dude abides
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #1331 on: February 27, 2020, 03:01:32 PM »

Well, with the hive on the case this is what i have learnt so far.
Nobody has a 5th cd, although a 5th cd is mentioned on the case above the signatures and number.
Free Reed  and Nigel Scofield are being contacted to see if they can throw any light on the matter.
Some boxes didnt get the booklet but got a CD -ROM of it.  No extra music on said CD ROM.

Investigation ongoing

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1332 on: February 27, 2020, 05:44:21 PM »

Stout work, Jimbo.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1333 on: February 28, 2020, 09:31:20 AM »

Well, with the hive on the case this is what i have learnt so far.
Nobody has a 5th cd, although a 5th cd is mentioned on the case above the signatures and number.
Free Reed  and Nigel Scofield are being contacted to see if they can throw any light on the matter.
Some boxes didnt get the booklet but got a CD -ROM of it.  No extra music on said CD ROM.

Investigation ongoing

Thanks for that Jim. My Cropredy Box remains unopened. Cool
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #1334 on: February 28, 2020, 10:09:52 AM »

Nigel Schofield replied, and by the magic of silicone chips here it is

"There was a version of the book with the later reissue.  There was no standard bonus disc as i recall."

i have asked him if he remembers why,  but that feels pretty definitve.
I have had one response who claims to have got the bonus disc .  I have asked him about it but he hasnt replied, yet.

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1335 on: February 28, 2020, 11:44:42 AM »

Nigel Schofield replied, and by the magic of silicone chips here it is

"There was a version of the book with the later reissue.  There was no standard bonus disc as i recall."

i have asked him if he remembers why,  but that feels pretty definitve.
I have had one response who claims to have got the bonus disc .  I have asked him about it but he hasnt replied, yet.

Yes I have been following developments on FB. It is clear though that there was intended to be a 5th disc as it is clearly listed on the back of some of the boxes (including mine) and in an early publicity release for the box which provided details that it would contain recordings of Fairports performance at Cropredy 2004.

I certainly don't have this though a couple of people claim to have an EP of such recordings, issued separately, which I also don't posess and have no recollection of.

It is really weird that so many of us have the box but have no recollection of why the advertised 5th disc did not materialise including it seems the box's curator.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1336 on: February 28, 2020, 11:59:49 AM »

I do have a live 2004 CD named "Cropredy Special" with Journeyman's Grace, Fossil Hunter, Canny Capers and Si Tu Dois Partir on it. Was that perhaps going to be the fifth CD originally?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1337 on: February 28, 2020, 12:17:40 PM »

I do have a live 2004 CD named "Cropredy Special" with Journeyman's Grace, Fossil Hunter, Canny Capers and Si Tu Dois Partir on it. Was that perhaps going to be the fifth CD originally?

Any chance of posting an image of that Andy? It doesn't seem to appear in any discography of the band that I can find and I certainly missed it at the time. What s the label? Is it Free Reed or Matty Grooves (the latter having been establised in 2004)?
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1338 on: February 28, 2020, 12:57:12 PM »

Any chance of posting an image of that Andy? It doesn't seem to appear in any discography of the band that I can find and I certainly missed it at the time. What s the label? Is it Free Reed or Matty Grooves (the latter having been establised in 2004)?

Its number is MGRCD2004 so presumably Matty Grooves but its not part of their numbering system and they are not mentioned otherwise. I can post an image later when my camera is charged.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1339 on: February 28, 2020, 01:13:11 PM »

Any chance of posting an image of that Andy? It doesn't seem to appear in any discography of the band that I can find and I certainly missed it at the time. What s the label? Is it Free Reed or Matty Grooves (the latter having been established in 2004)?
I'm sorry, but after I digitised all my CDs, they went in a very large box. It will take a while to dig it out.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: