TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:51:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1073055 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1240 on: January 08, 2020, 08:55:02 AM »

Bit behind with my television watching, and catching up on university challenge Christmas special. Nobody recognised the Sandy Denny, Fairport Convention track. Joan Baez was the nearest guess.  Shocked

Paul

What was the track, Paul?

I'm curious partly as I listen to Joan Baez.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #1241 on: January 08, 2020, 09:02:35 AM »

Bit behind with my television watching, and catching up on university challenge Christmas special. Nobody recognised the Sandy Denny, Fairport Convention track. Joan Baez was the nearest guess.  Shocked

Paul

What was the track, Paul?

I'm curious partly as I listen to Joan Baez.

WKWTTG I think it was
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1242 on: January 08, 2020, 09:24:31 AM »

It was rather sad, wasn't it?  None of them recognised Nick Drake either.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1243 on: January 08, 2020, 09:29:04 AM »

Ach, philistines.  Cool
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #1244 on: January 08, 2020, 02:44:32 PM »

Interesting comparisons between venues on the new tour when looking back to the early 90's is the dwindling capacity of where FC are choosing to play. In the 90s they regularly played venues seating over 1000 such as Oxford Apollo, Shepherds Bush Empire, St Georges Bradford, etc etc. With the new tour most venues are looking at approx 500 capacity, in one case less than 200. Maybe when they only toured once a year they could play bigger venues because that was your chance to see them but the tour that never ends which is Fairport recently spreads the audience more thinly

DW
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1245 on: January 08, 2020, 03:09:00 PM »

Interesting comparisons between venues on the new tour when looking back to the early 90's is the dwindling capacity of where FC are choosing to play. In the 90s they regularly played venues seating over 1000 such as Oxford Apollo, Shepherds Bush Empire, St Georges Bradford, etc etc. With the new tour most venues are looking at approx 500 capacity, in one case less than 200. Maybe when they only toured once a year they could play bigger venues because that was your chance to see them but the tour that never ends which is Fairport recently spreads the audience more thinly

DW

And many of those venues were standing or sitting/standing rock venues.  Disappointingly (for me, anyway), the current band simply couldn't play those any more - a) because the audience is no longer a rock audience and b) because the band isn't a rock band either...  I strongly imagine they know what they're doing though.  Everything finds its audience in the end...as far as I'm aware this is not a band that regularly sells out and has touts outside the doors.  Those days are past.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1246 on: January 08, 2020, 04:02:56 PM »

DW

And many of those venues were standing or sitting/standing rock venues.  Disappointingly (for me, anyway), the current band simply couldn't play those any more - a) because the audience is no longer a rock audience and b) because the band isn't a rock band either...  I strongly imagine they know what they're doing though.  Everything finds its audience in the end...as far as I'm aware this is not a band that regularly sells out and has touts outside the doors.  Those days are past.

...and c) most of the audience are also at an age where standing for a couple of hours has become more difficult (although I have managed it at a few recent gigs such as at Nine Below Zero, Big Country and Tears for Fears!)

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #1247 on: January 08, 2020, 04:33:49 PM »

...and c) most of the audience are also at an age where standing for a couple of hours has become more difficult (although I have managed it at a few recent gigs such as at Nine Below Zero, Big Country and Tears for Fears!)

Yes, I find standing for any length of time difficult now. I'm prepared to do it for the next gig I'm going to, though: a 45-minute set from The Who in Kingston-Upon-Thames, in a venue with a capacity of 700. Can't quite believe it's happening. I've seen them a few times over the years, but don't really like arena gigs any more. So this is the last time I'll see them, and seems the perfect setting. (Tickets sold out almost immediately of course. Would you believe that the cost was £13?)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1248 on: January 08, 2020, 05:21:29 PM »

Yes, I find standing for any length of time difficult now. I'm prepared to do it for the next gig I'm going to, though: a 45-minute set from The Who in Kingston-Upon-Thames, in a venue with a capacity of 700. Can't quite believe it's happening. I've seen them a few times over the years, but don't really like arena gigs any more. So this is the last time I'll see them, and seems the perfect setting. (Tickets sold out almost immediately of course. Would you believe that the cost was £13?)

How fantastic?!  What's the venue?  I hadn't heard about this at all.  I thought I'd done quite well catching them in the Shepherd's Bush Empire in '99.  Well done for getting a ticket  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #1249 on: January 08, 2020, 05:40:25 PM »

How fantastic?!  What's the venue?  I hadn't heard about this at all.  I thought I'd done quite well catching them in the Shepherd's Bush Empire in '99.  Well done for getting a ticket  Smiley

It’s a club called Pryzm. I had no success in getting a ticket at first, but then was advised that cards frequently fail up to a couple of hours after such sales, and to keep refreshing my browser. I did and, amazingly, a ticket came available and I jumped on it!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1250 on: January 08, 2020, 05:44:21 PM »

It’s a club called Pryzm. I had no success in getting a ticket at first, but then was advised that cards frequently fail up to a couple of hours after such sales, and to keep refreshing my browser. I did and, amazingly, a ticket came available and I jumped on it!

Awesome!  That'll be one to tell the Grandkids (and all of us) about.  Enjoy.

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1251 on: January 16, 2020, 09:53:56 AM »

The new album has just landed on the mat. Unfortunate timing, as I'm just about to go and shuffle round Brizzle with son #1. It'll get a spin when I get home.

Flobbadob!
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1252 on: January 16, 2020, 11:33:23 AM »

Now see that both tier one and tier two level tickets have sold out. Does this mean that Cropredy will be extra busy this year or that there weren’t that many tickets in the first 2 tiers?  It that I’m bothered as got my tier one ticket here  Smiley

Born to Run (but not very fast)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1253 on: January 16, 2020, 05:27:28 PM »

The new album has just landed on the mat. Unfortunate timing, as I'm just about to go and shuffle round Brizzle with son #1. It'll get a spin when I get home.

I see what you did there  Wink

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1254 on: January 16, 2020, 09:34:20 PM »

This was posted on the Fairporters facebook page. Does this accurately describe anyone here??

https://twitter.com/ImogenWK/status/1217435415143165958?s=19
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1255 on: January 17, 2020, 09:51:34 AM »

This was posted on the Fairporters facebook page. Does this accurately describe anyone here??

Could you post the text please? I can't access twitter from this PC....

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1256 on: January 17, 2020, 09:58:50 AM »

I don't own a leather jacket or a sword and I haven't a clue what Warhammer adjacent means, but apart from that....

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #1257 on: January 18, 2020, 11:03:35 PM »

what is the name for this type of man??

English, Terry Pratchett fan, sardonic humour, left wing-ish, leather jackets, maybe long hair, maybe folk music, Bill Bailey, real ale, usually middle age+. Warhammer adjacent. Likes swords but doesn't necessarily own one?

There you go. I'm none the wiser.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1258 on: January 19, 2020, 12:24:52 PM »

English, Terry Pratchett fan, sardonic humour, left wing-ish, leather jackets, maybe long hair, maybe folk music, Bill Bailey, real ale, usually middle age+. Warhammer adjacent. Likes swords but doesn't necessarily own one?

Aha! I’ve followed the link now (home PC) and, as usual, Twitter has come up trumps. Lots of funny tweets  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
paul bond 59

Loc: Lincolnshire

« Reply #1259 on: January 22, 2020, 10:06:15 AM »

Aha! I’ve followed the link now (home PC) and, as usual, Twitter has come up trumps. Lots of funny tweets  Grin

I find that quite bizarre really, and what does it have to do with Fairport? It really is drivel.  Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: