TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:44:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1073466 times)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #820 on: June 06, 2017, 03:49:54 PM »

I enjoyed Fairport's set at the Acoustic Festival of Britain.
Gerry seemed rather exposed without a full drum kit to hide behind.
Fortunately, Peggy wasn't exposed even though wearing baggy shorts and seated (as they all were).

I thought it started a bit limply for the first couple but then really warmed up into an excellent set. Mind you that was when we moved down to the front next to you!!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
peascod

« Reply #821 on: June 08, 2017, 10:14:37 PM »

Saw the concert at Stockton, The Point at The ARC. Enjoyed it a lot, hadn't see them for 5 years. Most of my favourites were played. Good banter and humour. Mention of the late Vin Garbutt before Farewell Farewell.
Setlist as I recall it, but not in order:
Bernie

« Reply #822 on: June 09, 2017, 02:06:59 AM »

Just back from Bury Met. Excellent gig, great musicianship, humour from RIC, loved the
BASQUE  TERRORIST to bass guitarist joke! Whatever they played, for me it did not really matter, it was the fact that they were still together after fifty years, unlike some of my other favourites!  Long may they live and continue to entertain us, most peeps retire in their early sixties, it can't be easy I know !! But then again Musos never retire do they ? It is something in their being ....
Ann from Lancs

Loc: Colne

I could do it all, but just not today …

« Reply #823 on: June 12, 2017, 10:49:28 AM »

Maybe TAW-ers attention span us shortening. Or we've other/exrra things to do such that there is less time to spend here? I'm in that latter boat....

I'm useless at reviews unless it's just 'That was a good do!'   I can never remember set lists and am too busy enjoying myself to write down what they did.  

Fairport did a great gig at a tiny venue in Barnoldswick, Lancashire last Monday 5th June.  I was lucky enough to be there, as it's right on my doorstep.  The venue was formerly known as 'The Cellar Bar' and that tells you just about all you need to know!  It's in the cellar of a bar/restaurant with a capacity of 70 people.  You could reach out and touch the lads from your seat!  Having said that, Simon Yorath the sound engineer did a wonderful job, and the sound quality and volume was spot on.  

The set included many of my favourites, including Girl from the Hiring Fair; Who Knows where the Time Goes; Farewell, Farewell; Slip jigs & reels; Now be Thankful; Fotheringay; Mercy Bay; Sir Patrick Spens and of course, Matty Groves and Meet on the Ledge.  The audience were enthusiastic and Fairport certainly seemed to enjoy themselves.  

I enjoyed every minute!

Ann  

I will get round to writing that report one day ... who knows where the time goes ??
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #824 on: June 12, 2017, 10:52:30 AM »

Maybe TAW-ers attention span us shortening. Or we've other/exrra things to do such that there is less time to spend here? I'm in that latter boat....

I'm useless at reviews unless it's just 'That was a good do!'   I can never remember set lists and am too busy enjoying myself to write down what they did.  

Fairport did a great gig at a tiny venue in Barnoldswick, Lancashire last Monday 5th June.  I was lucky enough to be there, as it's right on my doorstep.  The venue was formerly known as 'The Cellar Bar' and that tells you just about all you need to know!  It's in the cellar of a bar/restaurant with a capacity of 70 people.  You could reach out and touch the lads from your seat!  Having said that, Simon Yorath the sound engineer did a wonderful job, and the sound quality and volume was spot on.  

The set included many of my favourites, including Girl from the Hiring Fair; Who Knows where the Time Goes; Farewell, Farewell; Slip jigs & reels; Now be Thankful; Fotheringay; Mercy Bay; Sir Patrick Spens and of course, Matty Groves and Meet on the Ledge.  The audience were enthusiastic and Fairport certainly seemed to enjoy themselves.  

I enjoyed every minute!

Ann  

I'm trying to work out the economics of that... How much were tickets, Ann?  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #825 on: June 12, 2017, 11:08:25 AM »

[

£35
[/quote]

Blimey - that's a bit steep for an acoustic gig isn't it!!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #826 on: June 12, 2017, 11:12:22 AM »

[

£35

Blimey - that's a bit steep for an acoustic gig isn't it!!
[/quote]

35 x 70 is £2450.  Not a lot of mileage for any profit in there - for anybody, really.  Full credit to the promoter for pulling that out of the bag.  Effectively a house gig!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ann from Lancs

« Reply #827 on: June 12, 2017, 11:16:22 AM »

I enjoyed every minute!

Ann  

£35  ... it was billed as 'up very close and personal' - it sure was!  

I will get round to writing that report one day ... who knows where the time goes ??
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #828 on: June 12, 2017, 11:18:53 AM »

Run by Pete Barton from Rock Artist Management. Maybe a fill-in gig?

Ann from Lancs

« Reply #829 on: June 12, 2017, 11:20:09 AM »

Run by Pete Barton from Rock Artist Management. Maybe a fill-in gig?

You took the words out of my mouth Chris.  

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #830 on: June 12, 2017, 11:40:12 AM »

One of the Matthews Southern Comfort gigs is happening there, and I'm booked....looking forward to this.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #831 on: June 12, 2017, 11:42:47 AM »

One of the Matthews Southern Comfort gigs is happening there, and I'm booked....looking forward to this.

I wonder if there'll be 70 there for that?

Ann from Lancs

« Reply #832 on: June 12, 2017, 11:51:38 AM »

Yep ... see you there!  

He has some great gigs coming up - I'm looking forward to Reg Meuross too.  Reg is doing his gig as one of Pete's 'Concerts for the Kids' - "Musician and promoter Peter Barton aims to raise £1million through Concerts for the Kids after his grandson Ashton was saved by staff at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, Liverpool.

The charity will see top acts playing intimate concerts for free at the Barnoldswick Music and Arts Centre, which Peter has opened in the town centre, with all proceeds from tickets going towards vital equipment."  

Good for you Reg!

dooovall [Daniel]

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #833 on: June 21, 2017, 05:10:28 AM »

See my tickets from the 30 October 1999 Fairport Convention gig on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/RealDooovall/status/877149738398822401

Culture Shock: Life in Los Angeles
October 1999
Halloween in Smogtown
[originally published online at CreativeScreenwriting.com]
© 2017 by Daniel S. Duvall

Wandering down Sunset Boulevard during Halloween weekend, it’s impossible to distinguish the actual homicidal maniacs from the costumed revelers.  The streets of Los Angeles are not so much a melting pot as a diversely-stocked buffet table that has been overturned and sprinkled with mad cow disease.  And that’s on a normal night.  On Halloween, the weirdness is magnified exponentially.  Masks encourage people to cut loose.  
   The evening of October 30, I enjoyed a Fairport Convention concert at the Roxy Theatre.  After, I found the sidewalks of Hollywood clogged with demons and clowns, aliens and reapers.  Outside the Chateau Marmont, vampires danced with astronauts and pirates.  Ghosts carried leering pumpkins.  Mutants shambled.  Hobgoblins gawked.  Tourists recoiled in fear.
   Weaving my way through the costumed masses, I was struck by what a wonderful town Los Angeles is for people-watching.  We writers spend so much time isolated in our caves, filling notebooks and typing.  We immerse ourselves in our make-believe worlds for days on end.  Halloween on Sunset reminded me of how important it is to get out and stay in touch with human nature.  How are we to imbue our characters with realistic souls if most of our sensory input consists of our own words on our computer screens?  
   As I strolled past a gaggle of cheerleaders outside the House of Blues, I reflected on some of the people I’d observed at the Fairport Convention concert.  At one table, a weary father played cards with his wife and two teenaged sons before the music began: I wondered how his family had ended up at this show.  I imagined the conversation between the parents the previous night: “What shall we do for family night this week?” “Let’s take the kids to see some middle-aged British guys who sing about murder and adultery!”
   As the band performed some fast-paced tunes, an Irish dancer in the audience jigged around the floor like a leprechaun who had overdosed on caffeine.  Where had she learned to dance so well?  Why had she pursued Irish dancing instead of, say, watercolor painting as a creative outlet?  Had she practiced these moves to Fairport albums in the privacy of her living room, or was she just swept up in the spirit of rhythms she’d never heard before?
   The dancer zipped past a waitress who would probably have enjoyed the concert a lot more if she were not on the clock.  She served drinks to two yuppies who were on different wavelengths: one wanted to hear the music, while the other wanted to nap.  
   Meanwhile, I wandered to the edge of the stage so I could gawk at Dave Pegg’s fingers as they glided across the neck of his bass.  Dozens of people are walking past this club, I thought, with no idea that one of the world’s best musicians is working magic on a bass guitar inside.  Would they care even if they knew?  Would they stop to listen to his melodic bass lines, or would they totally tune out the bass and focus on the lyrics or the violin?  Would they tune out all of the music and just gawk at the Irish dancer?  Would they just hurry on home to watch sitcom reruns?
   I fleetingly wondered what the protagonist in my current script would think of the concert.  “Stop writing,” I scolded myself.  “You’re here to enjoy the music.”  The Muse scampered back down into my subconscious.  Doesn’t the Muse ever need a vacation?  
   Just in that tiny club for those three hours, there was so much raw humanity on display.  Ecstatic faces, depressed faces, body language for a thousand occasions.  After, as I walked down the Halloween-drenched sidewalk, I reflected on all I’d seen.  Some of those raw observations may eventually serve as fodder for future screenplays.  Some will just end up as fond memories of a great concert.  Others will vanish from my conscious memory altogether, perhaps to re-emerge in a dream a decade from now.    
   But the important lesson of the night will remain in my thoughts: stay in touch with the human condition.  Live.  Breathe.  Then return to the cave for a stretch of writing before absorbing more of the real world.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #834 on: June 27, 2017, 06:53:07 AM »

Fairport "and friends" - including the Malaika Choir - are playing at Gloucester Cathedral on Wed 25th October in aid of the Malaika Foundation (www.malaika.org).

Here's the flyer I picked up while in town shopping earlier:

This, plus seven other autumn gigs, now on sale... details on the FC website. ��

Flobbadob!
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #835 on: June 27, 2017, 10:10:58 AM »

Booked for Gloucester - see you there!

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #836 on: June 27, 2017, 11:10:27 AM »

Indeed!

Flobbadob!
domkeating
n3wb

« Reply #837 on: July 12, 2017, 02:50:42 PM »

hi - 1st post on forum ! - have been fairport fan since 1980s (was too young 1st time round !!) - have collection of vinyl, cd etc - have all the Cropredy programmes from 79 onwards up to 2016 & have all the Winter tour programmes with the exception of 2011 - am hoping someone can help with locating an unwanted/spare copy ? - am more than happy to pay  - really enjoy the forum - always interesting to know what other fans see (& hear) the band & it's various line ups
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #838 on: July 12, 2017, 03:30:31 PM »

hi - 1st post on forum ! - have been fairport fan since 1980s (was too young 1st time round !!) - have collection of vinyl, cd etc - have all the Cropredy programmes from 79 onwards up to 2016 & have all the Winter tour programmes with the exception of 2011 - am hoping someone can help with locating an unwanted/spare copy ? - am more than happy to pay  - really enjoy the forum - always interesting to know what other fans see (& hear) the band & it's various line ups

Welcome Dom  Cool
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #839 on: July 17, 2017, 10:27:47 AM »

My copy of RnR has just dropped through the letterbox with a 5 page spread on Fairports.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: