TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:33:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1072821 times)
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #740 on: March 14, 2017, 12:50:33 PM »

I have Wishfulness Waltz, which is the whole Who Knows Where The Time Goes album, with 4 bonus tracks all taken from the 1997 Cropredy Box (Poor Will, Rosie, Jack O' Diamonds and Come All Ye). Very glad to have it as the Woodworm WKWTTG was already out of print when I bought it.

Who put that out Dan , please?
It is really difficult to track these 'compilation ' albums down.....they are obviously not on Fairport website , I tend to come across them at cd boot fairs.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #741 on: March 14, 2017, 12:53:02 PM »

I have Wishfulness Waltz, which is the whole Who Knows Where The Time Goes album, with 4 bonus tracks all taken from the 1997 Cropredy Box (Poor Will, Rosie, Jack O' Diamonds and Come All Ye). Very glad to have it as the Woodworm WKWTTG was already out of print when I bought it.

It is really difficult to track these 'compilation ' albums down.....they are obviously not on Fairport website , I tend to come across them at cd boot fairs.

It's on Mooncrest, the same company that issued my copy of The Cropredy Box
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #742 on: March 14, 2017, 12:55:15 PM »

Discogs is an excellent website for getting the lowdown on these things.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #743 on: March 14, 2017, 12:56:56 PM »

You can tell I'm stuck in the house and bored!!!!!!, just trawled e bay and found Wishfulness Waltz album at many varied prices and Acccess all Areas for £2.87p
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #744 on: March 14, 2017, 01:09:29 PM »

Discogs is an excellent website for getting the lowdown on these things.

Thanks Al. Off there now!
ADDENDUM!
Blimey Al, I have just learnt something. Thanks again. This is going to cost me money!
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #745 on: March 14, 2017, 01:29:31 PM »

It's on Mooncrest, the same company that issued my copy of The Cropredy Box

Thanks Dan.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #746 on: March 14, 2017, 01:50:28 PM »

It would seem that the live tracks on the new album are from pre Cropredy warm up gigs or even rehearsals.
Presumably the band have licensed most of their other live albums to other labels?
Peggy has alway said that they licensed a lot of music to other labels.
I have a double CD, 'Kind Fortune' , published in 2000 by Snapper Music under licence from Trojan.
I bought  it at Cropredy Boot Fair, early 2000's.
The first CD  is Live Cropredy 1997 ( the reason I bought it , great memories of that yrs Cropredy)
And the Second CD is a mix of the albums , Who Knows Where the Time Goes and Jewel in the Crown.
SO .........what strange reissues, compilations do people have in their collections?

None. I have been very faithful to the official catalogue so everything I have is on one of the following labels:

Polydor
Island
Vertigo
Hannibal
Woodworm
Rough Trade
New Routes
Matty Grooves

I am pretty sure that everything that has been re-licensed to all of these other labels has appeared on one of the above in one form or another.

I have that same list, but for the American releases of some of the 90's and 00's releases, add in Green Linnet and Compass Records for official studio albums. If we are talking official live releases I'd have to add in some others, and not to forget the Free Reed box sets.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #747 on: March 14, 2017, 01:56:45 PM »

Nowt to do with re-issues, but as I drove through Bloxham on Sunday (after cutting across from Adderbury), there was a ploughing competition in the nearby fields.  There must surely be some inspiration for a Chris/Ric song/tune there...

Flobbadob!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #748 on: March 14, 2017, 02:01:25 PM »

It would seem that the live tracks on the new album are from pre Cropredy warm up gigs or even rehearsals.
Presumably the band have licensed most of their other live albums to other labels?
Peggy has alway said that they licensed a lot of music to other labels.
I have a double CD, 'Kind Fortune' , published in 2000 by Snapper Music under licence from Trojan.
I bought  it at Cropredy Boot Fair, early 2000's.
The first CD  is Live Cropredy 1997 ( the reason I bought it , great memories of that yrs Cropredy)
And the Second CD is a mix of the albums , Who Knows Where the Time Goes and Jewel in the Crown.
SO .........what strange reissues, compilations do people have in their collections?

None. I have been very faithful to the official catalogue so everything I have is on one of the following labels:

Polydor
Island
Vertigo
Hannibal
Woodworm
Rough Trade
New Routes
Matty Grooves

I am pretty sure that everything that has been re-licensed to all of these other labels has appeared on one of the above in one form or another.

I have that same list, but for the American releases of some of the 90's and 00's releases, add in Green Linnet and Compass Records for official studio albums. If we are talking official live releases I'd have to add in some others, and not to forget the Free Reed box sets.

Yes I forgot about the Free Reed boxes. I think all the officially sanctioned live releases in the UK have been on the above labels, though many of them have been re-licensed elsewhere since, particularly Cropredy performances and the Birmingham Town Hall show from 2002 (which was originally the soundtrack to a DVD).
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #749 on: March 14, 2017, 02:57:43 PM »

Nowt to do with re-issues, but as I drove through Bloxham on Sunday (after cutting across from Adderbury), there was a ploughing competition in the nearby fields.  There must surely be some inspiration for a Chris song there...

Oh crikey - don't set him off...  Grin Fez

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #750 on: March 14, 2017, 04:05:28 PM »

Nowt to do with re-issues, but as I drove through Bloxham on Sunday (after cutting across from Adderbury), there was a ploughing competition in the nearby fields.  There must surely be some inspiration for a Chris song there...

Our Plough Rolls On

DW
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #751 on: March 14, 2017, 04:08:50 PM »

Our Plough Rolls On

DW

Digging In The Dirt - oh no, wait a minute, that one's taken.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #752 on: March 14, 2017, 04:10:04 PM »

Ploughers of the Forest

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #753 on: March 14, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »

Sod of Morris On.
Full Horse.
.......anything with Robert Plant
Fields of Hay and Rye.
If I rolled the world.......
Sorry........
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #754 on: April 03, 2017, 02:10:56 PM »

Not sure if we knew this or not?  Well, I didn't...

Thomo - Gawsworth Hall, nr Macclesfield.  Wed 9th of August.  Ticket price includes house entry from 2pm I think...which is probably good as it's £32 I think.  I'm almost tempted.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #755 on: April 03, 2017, 02:13:30 PM »

£30 plus £1.50 b/f.....open 2pm (for Monte Carlo rolling start to reserve your seating.....then grounds open/picnics recommended. 7.30- 9.30 RT solo.

House, I think, open for a further £1.50

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #756 on: April 03, 2017, 03:38:47 PM »

Breaking news. No tracklisting yet and probably not essential to anyone here but nevertheless...

Released April 7th. Bargain price too (though I would not be ordering from Spin, if at all).

https://www.spincds.com/coming-soon/pyramid-180-gram-vinyl-lp-52609

Tracklisting now available. Interesting!

Three tracks from Gottle O Geer and possibly the wrong selection from Babbacombe Lee imho but otherwise pretty decent. More to the point, now £5 from Amazon for a triple CD! It will go in the car.  Roll Eyes
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #757 on: April 03, 2017, 03:59:33 PM »

Also spotted in Sainsbury's at the weekend for a fiver

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Dan O.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #758 on: April 03, 2017, 04:31:35 PM »

Breaking news. No tracklisting yet and probably not essential to anyone here but nevertheless...

Released April 7th. Bargain price too (though I would not be ordering from Spin, if at all).

https://www.spincds.com/coming-soon/pyramid-180-gram-vinyl-lp-52609

Tracklisting now available. Interesting!

Three tracks from Gottle O Geer and possibly the wrong selection from Babbacombe Lee imho but otherwise pretty decent. More to the point, now £5 from Amazon for a triple CD! It will go in the car.  Roll Eyes

Angles Brown ? Where's this track from ?
Have just listened to the clip on Amazon, sounds similar to Limey's Lament or Frog Up The Pump - a Gottle O' Geer outtake, perhaps ?

PS - have just checked, there's a thread about it here with a response from Swarb :
www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=27038.0
Dan O.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #759 on: April 03, 2017, 05:39:51 PM »

Excuse the double post, but the above compilation is available on evil Spotify, am having a listen now.
Have a new-found appreciation for It's Alright Ma, It's Only Witchcraft - this song has never sounded so good imho !
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: