TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:49:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1072828 times)
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #720 on: March 09, 2017, 06:39:01 PM »

That's almost certainly Barry Dransfield on the left but not Robin.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #721 on: March 09, 2017, 06:49:05 PM »

Great photo. A new one on me...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #722 on: March 09, 2017, 11:21:36 PM »

Actually, scratch my last post. I just looked up Pat Donaldson 'Images' on Google and an outtake of that same photo is on another site, where it indeed lists them as Pat Donaldson and Timi Donald.

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #723 on: March 10, 2017, 09:25:35 AM »

Timi Donald, between Sandy and Richard.
I think its Pat Donaldson on Sandy's right, but the lack of tache makes me wonder
What does it it make you blokes do? Roll Eyes

The Dude abides
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #724 on: March 10, 2017, 02:58:41 PM »

That's almost certainly Barry Dransfield on the left but not Robin.

Rather striking.

https://www.discogs.com/Barry-Dransfield-Barry-Dransfield/master/373152
Yorkshire Chris
Did you have a Sloppy Guiseppe?

Loc: Yorkshire (who'd have guessed...!)

« Reply #725 on: March 13, 2017, 02:27:40 PM »

Another photo from this session is in the gallery on the Sandy Denny Sandy website captioned, "performing 'Rigs of the Times' on the 'Sandy' tour 1972" (credited to Ray Stevenson).

http://www.sandydennyofficial.com/ray-stevenson-1972/
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #726 on: March 13, 2017, 07:05:15 PM »

Breaking news. No tracklisting yet and probably not essential to anyone here but nevertheless...

Released April 7th. Bargain price too (though I would not be ordering from Spin, if at all).

https://www.spincds.com/coming-soon/pyramid-180-gram-vinyl-lp-52609
sirspens (John)

« Reply #727 on: March 14, 2017, 07:29:31 AM »

Probably a great buy for the casual listener at that bargain price  but is there such an animal where FC are concerned? Real followers probably already have all this stuff - though to be fair I too can find no track listing, but "The Essential...." these days seems to be just the same as "Best of..." and I can't see too many street cred kids casually buying folk-rock or streaming / downloading it for their mates! Another cynical marketing ploy attempted cash-in on old stuff? I bet there's not much on there off "Bonny Bunch" or "Tippler's Tales" !;

These compilations are always selective- particularly when looking back over 50 years of recordings (subject of course to licensing arrangements) and the compiler may like stuff the listener doesn't rate at all.

It seems another in the long, confusing line of third party re-releases where the same stuff goes round and round again eg Rhythm of the Times, or repackaged and retitled Red and Gold etc etc.This one gets even MORE confusing in that it is subtitled "WKWTTG", so prompting search results re the same-titled Sandy compilation and the 1998 Woodworm picture disc vinyl (of which I have a copy) and CD (likewise owned to limit damage to my vinyl). It's actually thrown Amazon to such an extent that "reviews" for this as yet unreleased compilation exist- they are in fact for the aforementioned '98 Woodworm WKWTTG !
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #728 on: March 14, 2017, 07:55:02 AM »

It's also got that misleading but fun photo of Martin Lamble holding a guitar, and Simon wielding a fiddle. There are far better and more representative photos of early FC out there, even the most cursory Google Image search will bring them up...
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #729 on: March 14, 2017, 08:31:48 AM »

It seems another in the long, confusing line of third party re-releases

Not exactly sure what you mean by this but it is being released by Island and contains 52 tracks. My guess is that it will be a trawl from the entirety of the catalogue now owned by Universal so that would be from the 1st album to Tipplers Tales.

Peggy has been talking about an Island multi disc compilation appearing this year with unreleased material including stuff from the Manor Sessions. I presume this isn't it.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #730 on: March 14, 2017, 10:30:49 AM »

Peggy has alway said that they licensed a lot of music to other labels.
I have a double CD, 'Kind Fortune' , published in 2000 by Snapper Music under licence from Trojan.
I bought  it at Cropredy Boot Fair, early 2000's.
The first CD  is Live Cropredy 1997 ( the reason I bought it , great memories of that yrs Cropredy)
And the Second CD is a mix of the albums , Who Knows Where the Time Goes and Jewel in the Crown.
SO .........what strange reissues, compilations do people have in their collections?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:43:33 AM by hendo (Dave) » Logged
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #731 on: March 14, 2017, 10:45:27 AM »

It would seem that the live tracks on the new album are from pre Cropredy warm up gigs or even rehearsals.
Presumably the band have licensed most of their other live albums to other labels?
I have a double CD, 'Kind Fortune' , published in 2000 by Snapper Music under licence from Trojan.
The first CD  is Live Cropredy 1997 ( the reason I bought it , great memories of that yrs Cropredy)
And the Second CD is a mix of the albums , Who Knows Where the Time Goes and Jewel in the Crown.
SO .........what strange reissues, compilations do people have in their collections?

None. I have been very faithful to the official catalogue so everything I have is on one of the following labels:

Polydor
Island
Vertigo
Hannibal
Woodworm
Rough Trade
New Routes
Matty Grooves

I am pretty sure that everything that has been re-licensed to all of these other labels has appeared on one of the above in one form or another.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #732 on: March 14, 2017, 11:11:20 AM »

It would seem that the live tracks on the new album are from pre Cropredy warm up gigs or even rehearsals.
Presumably the band have licensed most of their other live albums to other labels?

None. I have been very faithful to the official catalogue so everything I have is on one of the following labels:

Polydor
Island
Vertigo
Hannibal
Woodworm
Rough Trade
New Routes
Matty Grooves

I am pretty sure that everything that has been re-licensed to all of these other labels has appeared on one of the above in one form or another.

Interesting........
Even the cd copy of Five Seasons I have is on HTD records under licence from Woodworm in 95, with the 'Bonus Track!' Of Caught a Whisper, live at Cropredy, on it!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #733 on: March 14, 2017, 11:20:26 AM »

Polydor
Island
Vertigo
Hannibal
Woodworm
Rough Trade
New Routes
Matty Grooves

Interesting........
Even the cd copy of Five Seasons I have is on HTD records under licence from Woodworm in 95, with the 'Bonus Track!' Of Caught a Whisper, live at Cropredy, on it!

My copy of that is the original release on New Routes which was a short lived folk offshoot of Rough Trade. It doesn't have Caught A Whisper of course. Must check whether that appears on one of the official Cropredy releases.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:36:39 AM by GubGub (Al) » Logged
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #734 on: March 14, 2017, 11:38:42 AM »

Polydor
Island
Vertigo
Hannibal
Woodworm
Rough Trade
New Routes
Matty Grooves

Interesting........

My copy of that is the original release on New Routes which was a short lived folk offshoot of Rough Trade. It doesn't have Caught A Whisper of course. Must check whether that appears on one of the official Cropredy releases.

According to Wiki, the extra track on the reissue is actually Rhythm Of The Time.

I think I still have the LP, but got a downloaded version, which includes both Caught a Whisper and Rhythm of the Time when I wanted to be able to listen on the iPod.  I think that Rhythm... was an extra track on the original CD, though.  I remember feeling a little aggrieved at the time that I couldn't get it when I bought the LP (I didn't have a CD player back then).

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #735 on: March 14, 2017, 11:39:55 AM »

I'm a sucker for those. I think I finally settled on Shines Like Gold as my go-to compendium. Or at least one of the compilations called 'Shines Like Gold'.  Smiley
There's a poll right waiting to happen there - 'Best Woodworm Compilation', including bonus tracks, live versions, strange omissions and overall value calculated on cost per song.  Grin

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #736 on: March 14, 2017, 11:47:58 AM »

Still to come, I reckon!

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #737 on: March 14, 2017, 11:49:29 AM »

I think that Rhythm... was an extra track on the original CD, though.  I remember feeling a little aggrieved at the time that I couldn't get it when I bought the LP (I didn't have a CD player back then).

No, definitely not. I bought it on release. It ends with The Wounded Whale. But, Rough Trade/New Routes went bust almost as soon as the album was released and it was reissued by Woodworm almost immediately so maybe the Woodworm pressing had the extra track.

I notice that there are a handful of live tracks from 1994-2002 scattered about the Talking Elephant reissues of the Woodworm label albums. These do seem to be exclusive and do not appear elsewhere in the official catalogue so they are indeed missing from my collection. I am not crying too many tears over it, given most of the song choices.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #738 on: March 14, 2017, 12:43:53 PM »

I'm a sucker for those. I think I finally settled on Shines Like Gold as my go-to compendium. Or at least one of the compilations called 'Shines Like Gold'.  Smiley

Our camper van ,Shirley, is 24 yrs old and does not possess new modern , fangled stuff so Cd 's it is. In one of those old soft Cd cases!!!! Where you choose which albums will go with you in which trip!!!
So History Of cd or the 'new' (ish) release of the first 5 albums in their own ickle travel case which I picked up for under a tenner have to be there.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #739 on: March 14, 2017, 12:46:06 PM »

I have Wishfulness Waltz, which is the whole Who Knows Where The Time Goes album, with 4 bonus tracks all taken from the 1997 Cropredy Box (Poor Will, Rosie, Jack O' Diamonds and Come All Ye). Very glad to have it as the Woodworm WKWTTG was already out of print when I bought it.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: