TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:00:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 202   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1748922 times)
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2012, 08:30:12 PM »

POsted in the "celebrities " thread already  - but gutted. One of my earliest heroes.

Machine Head on this very minute as I write...............

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2012, 09:08:17 PM »

Bob Babbit, Motown's understudy for james jamerson popped his clogs today as well, he managed a fair old list of hits on which he played, nevertheless
seemed like a decent bloke from the "Standing in the shadows of motown" film.

The Dude abides
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2012, 11:00:28 PM »

Have just heard about Jon Lord. Very sad. I liked Purple when I was growing up but of more significance to me at the time was a record that I picked up for peanuts on a market stall in Croydon when I was about 12. "First Of The Big Bands" was an album Jon Lord made with the late Tony Ashton in about 1974. Hardly anyone has ever heard of it and it sank without trace but I loved it from the moment I first heard it and I love it still having worn out two vinyl copies and finally acquired a digital download. I also liked the follow up which brought Ian Paice into the band.

I also picked up a second-hand copy of First of the Big Bands when I was in my teens and still love it. Sadly, only got to see Jon Lord live once - with Whitesnaks in 81

hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2012, 08:08:46 AM »

Have just heard about Jon Lord. Very sad. I liked Purple when I was growing up but of more significance to me at the time was a record that I picked up for peanuts on a market stall in Croydon when I was about 12. "First Of The Big Bands" was an album Jon Lord made with the late Tony Ashton in about 1974. Hardly anyone has ever heard of it and it sank without trace but I loved it from the moment I first heard it and I love it still having worn out two vinyl copies and finally acquired a digital download. I also liked the follow up which brought Ian Paice into the band.

Kudos to Mr Lord too for coaxing Annifrid Lyngstad out of retirement a few years ago for her last recorded vocal to date and the only one in English for more than 20 years.

He was by all accounts a gentleman and a great and influential musician.

It's that realisation of age thing again as your musical icons disappear. Deep Purple at Free Trade Hall Manc, 71/2 ish (yes that's 40 yrs and a lifetime ago) is one of my seminal gigs, and the loudest. He was so much more than a keyboard player in the background. His solos hit you in the chest.
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2012, 08:11:22 AM »

Bob Babbitt, Motown's understudy for james jamerson popped his clogs today as well, he managed a fair old list of hits on which he played, nevertheless seemed like a decent bloke from the "Standing in the shadows of motown" film.

Good call Jim. Jon Lord is the one who (probably rightly) is getting all the attention. Bob may have "only" been a session musician, but oh boy, what a musician.

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »

Jon Lord was one of my teenage heroes - his keyboard playing took Purple out of being just another rock band and into the big league.  RIP

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2012, 11:42:33 AM »

It's that realisation of age thing again as your musical icons disappear.

It's more the manner of their going that brings home the age thing - years ago, rock musicians died of drug overdoses or choking on their own vomit - now, it's natural causes, heart attacks, cancer etc. Many of the heroes of our youth are now quite old men - what does that make us?
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2012, 12:02:43 PM »

what does that make us?

Remarkably well preserved?  Wink
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2012, 12:10:01 PM »

I also picked up a second-hand copy of First of the Big Bands when I was in my teens and still love it.

Very slightly off topic but I only noticed for the first time last night when listening to the album in homage to Mr Lord that Jerry Donahue plays on it. I'm betting that is him playing slide on the wonderful Celebration. Also Pat Donaldson whose work will be familiar to many here.
Big Martin

Loc: Bristol UK

Old Re-enactor

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »

My first "proper" gig was Deep Purple at the Colston Hall - late 1970 IIRC. Came out with my ears throbbing but I always had a soft spot for them, even when I moved on in taste. RIP Jon - one of the "greats".

There's a heart in every place.
bigredsteve55 (Steve Bennett)
n3wb

Loc: Nr Portsmouth

« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2012, 02:38:25 PM »

javascript:void(0);

so sad to hear the news of Jon Lord, one of the greatest exponents of the Hammond Organ IMHO.

Deep Purple 'In Rock' currently playing on my PC with a large JD being raised in repect.

Steve
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2012, 12:09:20 PM »

The legendary Carlo Curley

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19250242

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2012, 05:39:05 PM »

all organists at the mom, keith emerson and rick wakeman need to be worried

The Dude abides
northseajoe
Trees? Really? I thought it was broccoli....

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2012, 08:09:34 AM »

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I learnt at Cropredy that Lol Coxhill died last month.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jul/11/lol-coxhill

I believe Lol was one of very few musicians to have played with both Jimi Hendrix and Tommy Cooper.
tullist/raymond
I'll grab my shield and rhythm stick
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: river forest, illinois USA

the others knew nothing about spekkatacles

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2012, 07:50:43 PM »

I know jazz music is a rare player around here, but I will damn sure be acknowledging its masters when they pass, particularly when they are from Chicago. Von Freeman, a guy who turned down the opportunity to be the guy who replaced Sonny Rollins in the Miles Davis Quintet, Miles then went for a gentleman named John Coltrane, a player in one of the earlier versions of Sun Ra's Arkestra, and a constant presence in Chicago at the New Apartment Lounge, foregoing greater fame to remain a consistent presence in his home city. Also one of a list of students of what must nearly be a music teacher without peer, Captain Walter Dyett at Du Sable High School, recommend a wiki job on that guy for any with an interest in jazz music, the list of people under his baton is truly staggering, and including people non jazz fans will know, re Nat King Cole, Dinah Washington and the comedian Redd Foxx. Also the Father of Chico Freeman, one of adventurous players in the music over the past 40 years. I am sure his passing will be well acknowledged in a couple weeks at the free Chicago Jazz Fest #32, in the city that loved him back. Vonski!
http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/14466939-421/chicago-jazz-icon-von-freeman-dead-at-88-walked-tuff-to-the-end.html

"Be this gung or be this ho may glorious battle resurrect you"
northseajoe
Trees? Really? I thought it was broccoli....

« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2012, 12:03:46 AM »

I know jazz music is a rare player around here, but I will damn sure be acknowledging its masters when they pass, particularly when they are from Chicago. Von Freeman, a guy who turned down the opportunity to be the guy who replaced Sonny Rollins in the Miles Davis Quintet, Miles then went for a gentleman named John Coltrane, a player in one of the earlier versions of Sun Ra's Arkestra, and a constant presence in Chicago at the New Apartment Lounge, foregoing greater fame to remain a consistent presence in his home city. Also one of a list of students of what must nearly be a music teacher without peer, Captain Walter Dyett at Du Sable High School, recommend a wiki job on that guy for any with an interest in jazz music, the list of people under his baton is truly staggering, and including people non jazz fans will know, re Nat King Cole, Dinah Washington and the comedian Redd Foxx. Also the Father of Chico Freeman, one of adventurous players in the music over the past 40 years. I am sure his passing will be well acknowledged in a couple weeks at the free Chicago Jazz Fest #32, in the city that loved him back. Vonski!
http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/14466939-421/chicago-jazz-icon-von-freeman-dead-at-88-walked-tuff-to-the-end.html

Oh yikes... RIP Vonski.  
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2012, 02:28:10 AM »

Bob Birch, Elton John's longstanding bassplayer, 56, apparently a suicide.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
David (terrrrrrrr)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2012, 02:11:15 PM »

Hearing reports that Scott MacKenzie has passed away. No confirmation on BBC site as of yet.

http://www.oldies.com/artist-biography/Scott-McKenzie.html

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »

Hearing reports that Scott MacKenzie has passed away. No confirmation on BBC site as of yet.

it's on his Wikipedia entry. Shame - I'm a big fan of his voice  Sad RIP Scott

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
David (terrrrrrrr)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2012, 02:22:51 PM »

it's on his Wikipedia entry. Shame - I'm a big fan of his voice  Sad RIP Scott

Yes, he was one of the sounds of 1967, peace, love and and all that stuff we believed in.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 202   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: