TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
July 27, 2024, 09:48:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 265575 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1500 on: June 26, 2024, 03:43:30 PM »

Proxy Music by Linda Thompson which is wonderful. It seems to be a vey autobiographical album which is ironic considering that Linda doesn't sing a note of it. The opening track is so good that I almost wish Linda had asked Kami to sing the whole album. Warning for those of a nervous disposition, Rufus Wainwright is very Rufus Wainwright.

Ironically, I have been listening to nothing but Rufus Wainwright since seeing/ hearing him on Saturday…it truly was the greatest performance I have ever experienced.

Don't get me wrong.i like Rufus and have a number of his albums but some find him an acquired taste. He can be a bit ripe sometimes.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1501 on: June 26, 2024, 08:32:47 PM »

Proxy Music by Linda Thompson which is wonderful. It seems to be a vey autobiographical album which is ironic considering that Linda doesn't sing a note of it. The opening track is so good that I almost wish Linda had asked Kami to sing the whole album. Warning for those of a nervous disposition, Rufus Wainwright is very Rufus Wainwright.

Ironically, I have been listening to nothing but Rufus Wainwright since seeing/ hearing him on Saturday…it truly was the greatest performance I have ever experienced.

I know some crazy Rufus devotees.  He can definitely do no wrong.  I've tried, but nah...I'll stick to listening to his Mum and Dad (and even sister) over him, I'm afraid.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #1502 on: June 27, 2024, 07:47:04 AM »

I know some crazy Rufus devotees.  He can definitely do no wrong.  I've tried, but nah...I'll stick to listening to his Mum and Dad (and even sister) over him, I'm afraid.

Yup, me too
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1503 on: June 27, 2024, 08:23:02 AM »

I can't get along with Rufus's voice.  I'm sure he has talent, but I heard him do 'Who knows Where the Time Goes' and that was definitely where he lost his last chance with me.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1504 on: June 27, 2024, 11:15:13 AM »

I can't get along with Rufus's voice.  I'm sure he has talent, but I heard him do 'Who knows Where the Time Goes' and that was definitely where he lost his last chance with me.

I find the same thing with Teddy Thompson. I'm a big fan of his sister Kami who has done some fine stuff with James Walbourne in The Rails but I only have one of Teddy's albums and haven't felt the need to listen to any more of his music.

But his contributions to his mum's records have been invaluable. I get the impression that he's been the driving force behind Linda's releases since Fashionably Late. I'm enjoying Proxy Music. Love the track with The Unthanks.

Currently listening to Tom Kitching's new release Where There's Brass. He's joined by Marit Falt and the tunes have been inspired by his time living on a narrowboat on the London canals.  

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1505 on: June 27, 2024, 11:22:54 AM »

I find the same thing with Teddy Thompson. I'm a big fan of his sister Kami who has done some fine stuff with James Walbourne in The Rails but I only have one of Teddy's albums and haven't felt the need to listen to any more of his music.

But his contributions to his mum's records have been invaluable. I get the impression that he's been the driving force behind Linda's releases since Fashionably Late. I'm enjoying Proxy Music. Love the track with The Unthanks.

Definitely the best track on it.  I've got to be honest, I don't really agree with the inflated hype around this album.  It's mostly (there's a couple I can't abide) enjoyable but I can't imagine it being listened to for any great length of time.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1506 on: June 27, 2024, 12:14:07 PM »

Definitely the best track on it.  I've got to be honest, I don't really agree with the inflated hype around this album.  It's mostly (there's a couple I can't abide) enjoyable but I can't imagine it being listened to for any great length of time.

Hype? I am unaware of any hype. I think it is a genuinely charming album. I don't love every track but I really like most of them and don't dislike any. It is certainly a damn site better than that Thompson farrago from some years ago.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1507 on: June 27, 2024, 12:19:58 PM »

Hype? I am unaware of any hype. I think it is a genuinely charming album. I don't love every track but I really like most of them and don't dislike any. It is certainly a damn site better than that Thompson farrago from some years ago.

I'm not slagging it off (although it probably sounds a bit like it, for which apologies).  There's a huge amount of publicity out there - multi page articles and 5-star reviews in every publication going.  Ok, hype is the wrong word but the amount of words written about it seems disproportionate to what it actually is.  But, yes, 'charming'...

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1508 on: June 29, 2024, 11:58:22 AM »

Joni Mitchell  :  The Asylum Albums  1976-1980  (Asylum  6LP boxed set, 2024).

A joy and a delight.  My first  time purchases  in ye olde format for Shadows and Light and  Don Juan's Reckless Daughter.   Every album (there are 4) is well mastered and pressed and the artwork looks good.  The exception is DJRD, which has new artwork for more enlightened times 🤔.    The original sleeve showed a drawing of Joni in blackface.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1509 on: June 29, 2024, 01:23:29 PM »

The exception is DJRD, which has new artwork for more enlightened times 🤔.  The original sleeve showed a drawing of Joni in blackface.

Wow - I had no idea that was Joni.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1510 on: June 29, 2024, 03:56:52 PM »

The exception is DJRD, which has new artwork for more enlightened times 🤔.  The original sleeve showed a drawing of Joni in blackface.

Jules

The new cover is kind of 'nothing' though, isn't it?

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1511 on: June 29, 2024, 06:54:29 PM »

Jules

The new cover is kind of 'nothing' though, isn't it?

Let's say it doesn't do the album any favours.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1512 on: July 06, 2024, 08:30:48 AM »

Tanita Tikaram  :  The East West  albums, 1988- 1985  (Cherry Red  5CD  boxed set, 2024).

She played Glastonbury this year apparently.

A talented singer and writer imo, who seems to go  just below the radar.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1513 on: July 06, 2024, 09:19:22 AM »

Tanita Tikaram  :  The East West  albums, 1988- 1985  (Cherry Red  5CD  boxed set, 2024).

She was on the Acoustic Stage, as were many other great acts. Such a shame the BBC doesn’t show that stage.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1514 on: July 08, 2024, 09:30:13 AM »

She was on the Acoustic Stage, as were many other great acts. Such a shame the BBC doesn’t show that stage.

According to her Facebook page, the performance went down well but she was struck down with covid straight afterwards.  Get well soon Tanita  😊
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1515 on: July 13, 2024, 09:21:40 AM »

Greenslade:  At the BBC  (Repertoire 2CD, 2024).

Well I've got all the Greenslade on CD I need now. This is well.put together and the recordings are mostly very good.  You get the voices of Alan Black and Whispering Bob Harris too .
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1516 on: July 20, 2024, 08:34:58 AM »

Fairport Convention: A Tree With  Roots - Fsirport Convention play Dylan. (UMC CD, 2018).

I've said before I don't care for Dylan, so get used to it,  people.  But this is a satisfying listen, I find. Apart from the 3 or so off air recordings, i like every track to some degree, and one or 2 are priceless-  Sandy solo doing  'It Ain't  Me Babe' for instance.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: