TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:25:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 186493 times)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1360 on: April 14, 2024, 09:27:34 AM »

There were only four, the first of which, Catfish Rising, he was a session player, appearing on only a few tracks. It's an OK album, I guess, not one I play much.
Roots To Branches I like quite a bit, especially the title track.
J-Tull Dot Com I don't have, so I can't say.
The Jethro Tull Christmas Album is, as far as Christmas albums go, a good one.

Not the most celebrated of Tull eras, I think the band had run it's course by now. However, you may love it.

Thanks Mike. I watched part of an interview with Martin Barre where he talked about enjoying being leader of his own band though by the sounds of it, it took quite a lot of hard work to get the music industry interested in him after he left Tull. He didn't sound happy about Ian using the Tull name as he reckons he has as much right to the name as Ian does. But it's not the first time musicians have fallen out over who has the rights to use a band name.

As with Strawbs, I've never got round to listening to much Tull over the years. But as I'm now getting very few promo albums for my radio show, I have more time to go back and listen to old stuff.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1361 on: April 14, 2024, 02:54:26 PM »

There were only four, the first of which, Catfish Rising, he was a session player, appearing on only a few tracks. It's an OK album, I guess, not one I play much.
Roots To Branches I like quite a bit, especially the title track.
J-Tull Dot Com I don't have, so I can't say.
The Jethro Tull Christmas Album is, as far as Christmas albums go, a good one.

Not the most celebrated of Tull eras, I think the band had run it's course by now. However, you may love it.

Thanks Mike. I watched part of an interview with Martin Barre where he talked about enjoying being leader of his own band though by the sounds of it, it took quite a lot of hard work to get the music industry interested in him after he left Tull. He didn't sound happy about Ian using the Tull name as he reckons he has as much right to the name as Ian does. But it's not the first time musicians have fallen out over who has the rights to use a band name.

As with Strawbs, I've never got round to listening to much Tull over the years. But as I'm now getting very few promo albums for my radio show, I have more time to go back and listen to old stuff.

Tull circa 1969 is excellent.
Aqualung 71 and Thick As a Brick 72 is generally regarded as a peak period.
73 -76 is good solid stuff.
77-79, including the live Bursting Out is a second peak.

80's Tull with Peggy in the band, is good, mostly, but 80's production doesn't quite fit with the Tull sound.
A problem a lot of 70's bands suffered with. Crest Of A knave - Jethro Convention play Dire Straits, is pretty good.

After that, it tends to be 'Oh - a new Tull album with Tull Tulling on it.'
The other members, aside from Ian and Martin, don't have the personalities that seem to shape the music like previous incarnations did.

I agree with Martin pretty much, and I think Ian sort of did when they stopped working together, I'm sure he said as much, it's not Tull without Martin.
It was always the Ian Anderson band, and many people thought Ian was a bloke called Jethro Tull, if only subliminally. But with Martin as the wing man, it was more than just a solo project.

Why did Ian return to using the Tull name after stating that he promoting his own name rather than that of the seed guy ?
One can only surmise.

Well I never did..
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1362 on: April 14, 2024, 05:07:15 PM »

Why did Ian return to using the Tull name after stating that he promoting his own name rather than that of the seed guy ?
One can only surmise.

a) money and b) 'cos his lawyers told him he could get away with it.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1363 on: April 14, 2024, 05:15:15 PM »

The new Sheryl Crow album -  Evolution (Valory LP, gold coloured vinyl, 2024).

It's not much over half an hour long, so CD buyers may feel  cheated.  Quality though.  
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1364 on: April 15, 2024, 12:37:14 PM »

Listening to the 40th Anniversary edition of Aqualung with 14 bonus tracks. Very pleasant listening. Wish I'd got into Tull sooner but better late than never.

I'm guessing that Marillion are fans of the band as at times I find myself thinking, oh that reminds me of whatever Fish era song.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1365 on: April 15, 2024, 01:16:04 PM »

Fish-era Marillion always struck me as would-be Gabriel-era Genesis soundalikes. Very good ones at that.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1366 on: April 15, 2024, 03:52:10 PM »

Now listening to The Butts Band - The Complete Recordings.

Krieger and Densmore did some good stuff with that band. The first album with Jess Roden, Phillip Chen and Roy Davies is well worth a listen.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1367 on: April 15, 2024, 04:07:07 PM »

Now listening to The Butts Band - The Complete Recordings.

Krieger and Densmore did some good stuff with that band. The first album with Jess Roden, Phillip Chen and Roy Davies is well worth a listen.

Considering I'm a big fan of the Doors' post-Jimbo albums it's perhaps surprising that I've never delved in here.  Perhaps I should.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: