TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 26, 2019, 01:47:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 16893 times)
Peter Allen

« Reply #440 on: June 20, 2019, 10:20:49 AM »

The Kinks - The Village Green Preservation Society (2 cd edition)

Ray Davies' musical fertility in that period is quite remarkable, IMHO. Even their 'discards' are more impressive than a lot of mainstream music from that period and after....  Fez

I couldn't agree more.  Arguably the finest set of outtakes and bonus cuts you'll ever hear.

Jules

I think all their 2 disc deluxe sets are well worth picking up , certainly from  Kontroversy  up to Muswell Hillbillies , maybe skip the first 2 albums. National treasure ,the  KastOff Kinks keep the torch alight.
Peter
Peter
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #441 on: June 20, 2019, 10:25:38 AM »

The Kinks - The Village Green Preservation Society (2 cd edition)

Ray Davies' musical fertility in that period is quite remarkable, IMHO. Even their 'discards' are more impressive than a lot of mainstream music from that period and after....  Fez

I couldn't agree more.  Arguably the finest set of outtakes and bonus cuts you'll ever hear.

Jules

I think all their 2 disc deluxe sets are well worth picking up , certainly from  Kontroversy  up to Muswell Hillbillies , maybe skip the first 2 albums. National treasure ,the  KastOff Kinks keep the torch alight.
Peter
Peter

We have the Kast Off Kinks playing Witham Public Hall again this year on 13 September where I do front of house duties. They were excellent last year!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #442 on: June 20, 2019, 11:48:40 AM »

I think all their 2 disc deluxe sets are well worth picking up , certainly from Kontroversy up to Muswell Hillbillies, maybe skip the first 2 albums.

The Everybody's In Showbiz deluxe is also great.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #443 on: June 20, 2019, 11:57:10 AM »

Post-Transatlantic Pentangle albums, all of which I find worth a listen.  Cool
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #444 on: June 20, 2019, 12:07:40 PM »

I guess you're not talking about Solomon's Seal here?  Hmmm.  Law of diminishing returns applies though...? Open the doors was very decent, mind, and Piggott does a decent job of replacing John.

For no apparent reason, what I'd love to find would be a copy of a show that John, Bert and Jacqui did at the Broadstairs Folk Festival late 80's.  I saw the original band at the Barbican in the early 80's but this was just an exquisite performance.  One of my Holy Grails.

My partner and I are running the Chester 10k on 10 March to raise money for our local hospice, and to raise awareness of the hospice movement.  Please click on my website for more info.  Thanks.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #445 on: June 20, 2019, 04:57:46 PM »

I guess you're not talking about Solomon's Seal here?  Hmmm.  Law of diminishing returns applies though...? Open the doors was very decent, mind, and Piggott does a decent job of replacing John.

For no apparent reason, what I'd love to find would be a copy of a show that John, Bert and Jacqui did at the Broadstairs Folk Festival late 80's.  I saw the original band at the Barbican in the early 80's but this was just an exquisite performance.  One of my Holy Grails.
I always like so early in the spring and in the round, both of which tend to get slagged and both of which in my eyes flashes of genius

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #446 on: June 20, 2019, 06:51:15 PM »

Jackie Venson-Joy. Last year Jackie took an adventurous task of releasing one single a month and filming a video for each one. So while the majority of the tracks are not new (which includes a reworking of a few older tracks) the way they flow together as a cohesive album makes this one terrific album combining blues, rock, reggae and pop into a very enjoyable album. Add in her shredding  and she remains a name to watch out for.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #447 on: June 21, 2019, 11:55:13 AM »

It is midsummers day. The sun is out, sort of. Summer has allegedly arrived, though it is still not warm enough to sit in the garden , so I am playing my Summer playlist. Staring At The Sun by U2 currently. Next 5:

Sunny Afternoon - The Kinks
Sunshine Day - Osibisa
Summer Breeze - The Isley Brothers
At The River - Groove Armada
Good Day Sunshine - The Beatles
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #448 on: June 21, 2019, 12:04:06 PM »

I always like so early in the spring and in the round, both of which tend to get slagged and both of which in my eyes flashes of genius

Agree very much, and the same goes for Open the Door.

Jacqui's version of Pentangle,  which goes more to jazz/new age folk, I find very pleasing.(Passe Avant, Feoffee's Lands, Live at the Little Theatre).

Solomon's Seal, of course would be regarded by many as the last 'proper' Pentangle album.
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #449 on: June 21, 2019, 04:56:40 PM »

The new Johnny Moped Album – Lurrigate Your Mind. released a couple of weeks ago.

Their 1978 masterpiece Cycledelic has rarely been off my personal playlist, and similar to their 2016 album It's A Real Cool Baby this feels like this new offering could have been their 1979 follow up .   So I am delighted with this new release .  Usual mix of surreal psychedelic- punk songs mixed with some pure 'oi' type  ditties. As usual lashings of humour with songs such as Where's Shergar with its references to French cuisine and Johnny reading out his shopping list in the track Little Shop .

Only two of the original members left in the band now Johnny and Slimy Toad, but guest appearance from Captain Sensible, but for me one of the pioneering early punk bands and precursor to the Damned  - wonderful true punk.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #450 on: June 22, 2019, 12:47:28 PM »

Soulfire Live - a triple live set by Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul. Picked up for £9.99 a couple of days ago and it is absolutely terrific.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #451 on: June 22, 2019, 01:02:57 PM »

I'm cat-sitting for neighbours this weekend and was browsing through their cd collection this morning. I've borrowed discs by Gillian Welch, The Pictish Trail and Kate Rusby and am currently listening to John Martyn's Solid Air.

Listen to my folk & acoustic music shows on Mixcloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #452 on: Yesterday at 09:19:37 AM »

People Who Are Playing At Cropredy Day

Now: Caravan, Live at the Bataclan in 1973 will be followed by In The Land Of the Grey And Pink and then another I haven't decided on yet

Later: Seth Lakeman's latest CD

Wilson & Wakeman

Frank Turner

It is only 44 days away  Shocked  Shocked blimey!

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!
StephenB
something about the grinding beat

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

Some boy to be one boy - I should have been twins

« Reply #453 on: Yesterday at 02:42:15 PM »

For your Caravan fix I'd suggest
a) play Grey and Pink again
b) For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night, if only for the magnificent  "The dog, the dog, he's at it again"
(They did enjoy their titles...)

If I could be any animal I wanted...
there'd be something really heavy going on.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #454 on: Yesterday at 04:08:59 PM »

b) For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night, if only for the magnificent  "The dog, the dog, he's at it again"

Good call.
When you could do such a thing, I'd often slap a tape into my radio/cassette player as a teenager to record the last bit of the Friday Rock Show when sleep beckoned, or parents 'urged' me to 'turn that bloody noise off, we're going to bed', I still have the tape when they played 'the Dog', with Tommy Vance announcing the title, and it was the first Caravan song I ever heard. Shortly there after, I bought the Canterbury tales double L.P, and that was the beginning of a wonderful relationship.

Well I never did..
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #455 on: Yesterday at 07:05:37 PM »

It is indeed one of my favourites! In fact, I didn’t get past Caravan today (bloody caravans holding everyone up!!  Cheesy) I can’t wait to see them at Cropredy  Tiara

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #456 on: Yesterday at 07:16:27 PM »

It is indeed one of my favourites! In fact, I didn’t get past Caravan today (bloody caravans holding everyone up!!  Cheesy) I can’t wait to see them at Cropredy  Tiara

After your earlier post, I followed suit by turning the sound off on the abysmal England performance against Australia in the cricket World Cup and putting my copy of “In the Land of the Grey and Pink” on instead...far less stressful  Wink

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: