TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 202   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1777445 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2080 on: September 23, 2018, 02:04:49 PM »

"Sold baked taters...in day old papers...for a penny"

What a lovely song...I'd not heard it before... Smiley

"And did they taste good, mate?
Not many!"

Smiley

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #2081 on: September 23, 2018, 02:07:11 PM »

I was one less than impressed with Chas and Dave at Cropredy despite being a fan of their songs.

They arrived late ,there had been much too long of a gap since The Wonder Stuff's Miles Hunt had really communicated and charmed the crowd.
It was pi**ing down and they the final touches of Aussie Pink Floyd's extensive set going up around them whilst they were on.

It just never got going. Cold ,wet Cropredy is never really OK.

We all put up with it,but you need to be special to do well on a cold ,dark stormy night in our field. Afro Celts were, Aussie Floyd were. Chas and Dave and Emmylou Harris just weren't. I think like top football Clubs ,top performers are not always on form.Just didn't happen that night.

Chas Hodges had nothing to prove to anyone. He was a genuine star and may he rest in peace.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #2082 on: September 23, 2018, 02:12:42 PM »

Anecdote from a friend:

“Very sad to hear of the passing of Chas Hodges of Chas and Dave. The duo owned a pub in north London in the 1980s – it was a great place to play, with the best equipment – you just had to bring your instrument. One night my band was playing there and Chas and Dave turned up. They asked if we minded them performing our second set. “Don’t worry, son, you’ll still get your money,” said Chas with a knowing smile. So we sat and got paid to watch a masterclass in musicianship and showmanship. R.I.P. Chas. A gentleman and a total geezer.”

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #2083 on: September 23, 2018, 02:39:46 PM »

He must have made more money from one Chas and Dave hit than all his other music adventures put together (which is a slightly sad reflection on his talent) but fair play to him that he found a way to make his music earn him a very good livin.

I can't agree with this.  Chas & Dave made some terrific records.  It's a bit niche for some people, but I always thought they were great.  There Ain't No Pleasing You, for example, is a fine song.

Jules

I'm guilty of judging Chas and Dave on the singles which didn't connect with me at all. I thought they were just a novelty act based on great musicianship and daft lyrics, Snooker Loopy anyone?
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #2084 on: September 23, 2018, 05:09:06 PM »

I find it interesting that songs based on the London experience, with more that a nod to music hall heroes such as Harry Champion, are seen as novelty but songs based on a rural idyll collected by Cecil Sharp are venerated as based on tradition.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #2085 on: September 23, 2018, 05:56:43 PM »

I find it interesting that songs based on the London experience, with more that a nod to music hall heroes such as Harry Champion, are seen as novelty but songs based on a rural idyll collected by Cecil Sharp are venerated as based on tradition.

I remember hearing Lonnie's last radio interview with Johnnie Walker during which he said 'Dustman' is a folk song. It was a first war army song with rude lyrics. Exactly the same as the point you correctly make here.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2086 on: September 23, 2018, 06:57:12 PM »

Is that necessarily true? Genuine question (I am not trying to be argumentative). How many people know those songs? I think it is the likes of Rabbit, Gertcha and The Sideboard Song that have created a repuation for novelty but they may not be representative of their wider catalogue.

But yes, urban songs generally do not seem to be regarded as folk music unless they are ballads from the industrial revolution or the like.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #2087 on: September 24, 2018, 08:58:57 AM »

This is brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ysSHINdExQ

Chas Hodges, Phil Lynott, Roy Wood and Bev Bevan, from Tiswas, thoroughly enjoying themselves  

RIP Chas (and Phil for that matter)

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
jOhN
Lord of Time, Space & Beer
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sunny Nottingham

I bet you won't recognise me at the bar!!!!

« Reply #2088 on: September 24, 2018, 08:20:58 PM »

It was only recently I discovered that Chaz had been a session musician for Jerry Lee Lewis, Bill Haley, Gene Vincent, Mike Berry & the Outlaws & Cliff Bennett & the Rebel Rousers

I am Dyslexia of Borg, prepare to have your Ass Laminated!!!
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #2089 on: September 24, 2018, 09:25:45 PM »

The Word podcast with Chas Hodges from 2012 has been reissued - I seem to recall it being of interest. http://wordpodcast.co.uk/2018/09/23/word-podcast-215-with-chas-hodges/

On the subject of reissues - the 3 cd Chas and Dave compilation out on Friday has been in planning for some time and it’s not an attempt to cash in on Chas’ death. This is from a fellow Barnet season ticket holder who works for the company involved. Just appalling timing.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #2090 on: September 28, 2018, 08:17:07 PM »

There's a documentary right now on BBC4 about Chas and Dave early years, with lots of old footage. Started at 8, over at 9. I can't see any repeats for it.

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2091 on: September 28, 2018, 09:36:34 PM »

There's a documentary right now on BBC4 about Chas and Dave early years, with lots of old footage. Started at 8, over at 9. I can't see any repeats for it.

I'll see if it's on catch-up later.  Cheers.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #2092 on: September 28, 2018, 10:14:02 PM »

Sam Spoons of the Bonzos. https://mobile.twitter.com/NeilInnes/status/1045591814235983872

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #2093 on: September 28, 2018, 10:46:10 PM »

Cry

The Dude abides
tony the roundhead
Concept Man
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barford St M

The 17th century is when everything changes..

« Reply #2094 on: September 29, 2018, 12:19:18 AM »

Marty Balin. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/jefferson-airplane-guitarist-marty-balin-dead-76-730912/

..and you gotta be ready - so, ur banne coreff ma pliche!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2095 on: September 29, 2018, 06:19:05 AM »

Sad about that...never my favourite from the band, but his voice was unmistakable, and a huge part of the sound.  He did write some terrible old rubbish later though...!

Glad to have seen the KBC band lineup of the Starship twice in the 90's.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #2096 on: September 29, 2018, 08:27:07 AM »

Sad about that...never my favourite from the band, but his voice was unmistakable, and a huge part of the sound.  He did write some terrible old rubbish later though...!

I envy you that David, Airplane/Starship are high on my list of bands I wanted to see but never did.

Sad news. I have just put on their "Deep Space" live CD in his memory.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2097 on: September 29, 2018, 08:45:51 AM »

I envy you that David, Airplane/Starship are high on my list of bands I wanted to see but never did.

Sad news. I have just put on their "Deep Space" live CD in his memory.

They (particularly that lineup) were always pulling in different directions, and Kantner always seemed like a bit of an arse to be honest - getting stroppy with the guitar techs etc - but when they hit it, they still definitely had it.  I wish the reunion lineup ('89) had come to the UK...the album is execrable but some of the recordings from that tour show some truly great moments...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #2098 on: September 29, 2018, 09:45:25 AM »

They (particularly that lineup) were always pulling in different directions, and Kantner always seemed like a bit of an arse to be honest - getting stroppy with the guitar techs etc - but when they hit it, they still definitely had it.  I wish the reunion lineup ('89) had come to the UK...the album is execrable but some of the recordings from that tour show some truly great moments...

I recall they had quite a few "personality clashes" over the years- the reports (NME?) usually put these down to Grace Slick (who she was sleeping with, or what mind-expanding substances he was on  at the time), but I suspect Kanter & Balin were also culpable, too many egos/prima donnas in one band?

I missed a chance to see them in 1978 when they played Knebworth - some friends were going but I declined as it was expensive and I couldn't stand the headliners, Genesis. It seems that I dodged a bullet as they played minus Grace Slick, who had either run off in a hissy fit or been kicked out, depending on who you believed, so Marty sang her parts in falsetto - sounds godawful, my friends who went certainly thought so.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #2099 on: September 29, 2018, 11:34:30 AM »

RIP Marty in the 60's Surrealistic Pillow, Baxters, Crown of Creation, Volunteers etc were hardly ever off the turntable. Particularly liked the boy/girl vocals, it was probably that that led me to Fairport (and Merry Hell of course).

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 202   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: