TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:56:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Albion Band Lives yet again!  (Read 146962 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« on: July 19, 2011, 11:05:11 AM »

From the agents PR.....

Beyond a simple line up change, 2012 will see a complete reboot of the Albion Band.

2012 sees the torch being passed to a newer generation of English folk talent. As ever, this band brings together some of the finest musicians and singers in the UK folk scene.

This new lineup recaptures the spirit of the Albion Band’s heyday with a rockier, edgier approach to traditional English folk music. Taking the unique character of classic era Albion Band and fusing it with award winning song writing and a contemporary rock and indie vibe,this is the new sound 21st century English Folk-Rock.

Taking a back-seat, but retaining an artistic eye on the band, founder Ashley Hutching hands over the reins to his son, Blair Dunlop (Guitar & Vocals); the new line-up will also include singer Gavin Davenport, Drummer and Producer Tom Wright, Katriona Gilmore (Fiddle, Mandolin & Vocals) and Tim Yates (Bass & Melodeon).

The band will perform self-penned, re-written and traditional material as well as re-booted Albion Band classics in what promises to be a diverse and energetic live set.

The press launch is on August 5th. For invites, please contact Nick Hallamnick@albionfolk.co.uk

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 11:19:01 AM »

A very strange development imho. The Albions have only existed in their Christmas form for the last decade (well, almost) so there's no direct continuity.  It's not the passing of the torch...it's an entirely new band, so it just looks like nepotism gone mad.  What's in it for the legacy of the band itself?  What's in it for Blair and the rest of the band?  I can't see who wins.....   Undecided

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 11:35:51 AM »

Refine this.....

Possibly Blair & the others as well as Ashley - the others getting a leg up to an audience which might not otherwise be exposed to them?

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 11:51:26 AM »

Refine this.....

Possibly Blair & the others as well as Ashley - the others getting a leg up to an audience which might not otherwise be exposed to them?

Yeah, I can see the thinking.... It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.  I have to admit to not really being a fan of much that the Albions have done since the mid 80's, but, as always, that's my problem, not theirs....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 11:56:11 AM »

I suspect there'll be new music too - Kat Gilmore is lised as vocals, along with Blair.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 12:05:55 PM »

I'll certainly give this a listen but for me the Albions are not the Albions unless Ashley is physically a member of the band. Otherwise Home Service would be the Albions!
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 12:30:10 PM »

Interesting development, sounds like it'll be another good folk-rock collective, nepotism or not. Albion Band - The Next Generation  Smiley
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 01:01:01 PM »

I have a real problem with this. Someone will see an ad, buy tickets for the Albion Band and then see "not the Albion Band". It's called "passing off" and is illegal.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Hurricane (Dan)
Do you think it might be worth 'owt?

Loc: Manchester

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 01:34:07 PM »

I have a real problem with this. Someone will see an ad, buy tickets for the Albion Band and then see "not the Albion Band". It's called "passing off" and is illegal.

Why will it not be the Albion Band if the person who owns the rights to the name has given their authorisation for these guys to trade under it?

My wife and kids are leaving me because of my obsession with horse racing. They're at the gate now. And they're off!
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 01:41:54 PM »

Why will it not be the Albion Band if the person who owns the rights to the name has given their authorisation for these guys to trade under it?

I can play Wish You Were Here, I'm not Pink Floyd, even if Waters / Gilmour said I was.
I can play Thank You, I'm not Led Zeppelin, even if...
etc.

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 01:53:12 PM »

I can play Wish You Were Here, I'm not Pink Floyd, even if Waters / Gilmour said I was.
I can play Thank You, I'm not Led Zeppelin, even if...
etc.

Although...the Albions have always been somewhat fluid in the membership department but AH has always been the constant factor.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 02:00:38 PM »

Let me be clear, as long as the adverts make it clear that this Albion Band isn't the Albion Band, rather, an Albion Band with no-one who has ever played in any previous version, I have no problem.

If Jason Bonham and his mates toured as Led Zeppelin, I wouldn't think that right either.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 02:04:06 PM »

I think I like the idea.  I think I understand it.  It is potentially confusing, though maybe I like that too.  The whole history of the changing band and its constant name has always had potential for confusion, so that's just following tradition, really!

It is the son of the founder of all things Albion, and apparently some of that material will still be performed.  (The rockier side, one may hope).

Very much a case of "wait and see", probably.  It may well work, if done properly - however that could be defined.  I agree, advertising and promotions that explain the situation would be invaluable.

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 02:11:28 PM »

Let me be clear, as long as the adverts make it clear that this Albion Band isn't the Albion Band, rather, an Albion Band with no-one who has ever played in any previous version, I have no problem.

If Jason Bonham and his mates toured as Led Zeppelin, I wouldn't think that right either.

No he toured as Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience.  Funnily enough the first, third and fifth words of the band name were tiny  Cheesy

He didn't have the gall to play in the UK though...

Mike Burrow

Loc: Teddington

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 03:00:18 PM »

Does this mean the end for the Albion Christmas Band?

If not it will be even more confusing.

...the Twelve Apostles, While and Matthews, and any Beatles song...
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 03:27:12 PM »

Strange isn't it - Dr Feelgood were Dr Feelgood with no original members,and there was a certain band with no original members who did an album called Nine.
If this new Albion Band did one album with Tyger on bass, then he left to be replaced by Tim Yates, would it be ok then?
How about if Ralph McTell replaced Simon Nicol and Vo Fletcher replaced Peggy.Still Fairport?
Guess the sudden change,rather than gradual replacement, makes it hard to swallow.
Then again, is the Rise Up...line up the same band as the Give Me A Saddle...line up just because Ashley is in both?
Does this mean Robert Plant's Band Of Joy IS Led Zeppelin?
Or Wings The Beatles?
Or Plastic Ono Band The Beatles?
Or Ringo's All Starr Band The Beatles?
Or The Travelling Wilburys The Beatles?
Strange isn't it?

Well I never did..
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 03:31:20 PM »

As I said before, Ashley has always been the constant which is what makes this seem weird. I love both the Rise Up & Saddle line ups btw. Not so much some of the ones in between.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »

yeah, I guess Albion Band = Ashley Hutchings Group in everyones mind.
As the blurb said, it's the spirit of the band that is continuing, rather than the personel, which is presumably
different to the spirit of Rainbow Chasers.

Well I never did..
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »

Strange isn't it - Dr Feelgood were Dr Feelgood with no original members,and there was a certain band with no original members who did an album called Nine.
If this new Albion Band did one album with Tyger on bass, then he left to be replaced by Tim Yates, would it be ok then?
How about if Ralph McTell replaced Simon Nicol and Vo Fletcher replaced Peggy.Still Fairport?
Guess the sudden change,rather than gradual replacement, makes it hard to swallow.
Then again, is the Rise Up...line up the same band as the Give Me A Saddle...line up just because Ashley is in both?
Or Wings The Beatles?
Strange isn't it?

But the London Symphony Orchestra is still the LSO without any original members, just a matter of scale then ?
But seriously  I think its the sudden, rather than gradual change that makes the difference.
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »

Or Wings The Beatles?

No to all of those questions except the last. The Travelling Wilburys are indeed The Beatles.  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: