TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:54:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Albion Band Lives yet again!  (Read 146961 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 05:00:21 PM »

I agree with Al, hard to think of an Albion Band without Ashley playing bass and the occasional song. Maybe this should be the New Albion Band or something along those lines. I'm interested in this however, and if its like any other Ashley led project, who knows...there might be a whole new lineup by the followup! To get to Andy's point about "false advertising" this wouldn't be the first time Ashley's name has been on a project in which he hasn't actually been a participant-I'm thinking of Sway With Me, in which I believe it was called an Ashley Hutchings production. Now I very much felt the presence of Ashley on that album, and  in  no way was disappointed he hadn't played bass or sang, or recited a poem. Same goes for Street Cries, a very strong album under Ashley's name.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 07:00:51 PM »

On further investigation, the all-new Albion Band have an EP called "Fighting Room" to be released soon, with a familiar looking cover...
http://www.albionfolk.co.uk/artist/artistdetails/artistId/42

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 07:09:43 PM »

I'm personally really looking forward to this. A name's a name, as long as the music is good I don't really care...

Will be interested to see how Tim juggles bass and box - I mean I know he's good, but....  Wink

Also, Tom Wright is listed as a producer - does this mean onstage production using technology a la Jim Moray? If so, I'm really looking forward to this!

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 07:42:10 PM »

On further investigation, the all-new Albion Band have an EP called "Fighting Room" to be released soon, with a familiar looking cover...
http://www.albionfolk.co.uk/artist/artistdetails/artistId/42

Okay, sorry to be dense, but what is familiar looking about this cover?

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 07:43:01 PM »

Ashley is/was the albions, i'm a bit underwhelmed by the prospect of a tygerless albion band, a betterr name could have been found although i am intigued as to whether they intend to carry on in an albion styleee what with Britannia with a strat and all that

The Dude abides
fstix (Michael)

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 07:54:24 PM »

See The Prospect Before Us cover  Smiley
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prospect_Before_Us

NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 08:23:32 PM »

See The Prospect Before Us cover  Smiley
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prospect_Before_Us

Thanks ever so much, I even have that album on CD, but the cover just wasn't in my memory circuits like it would've
been if I'd ever seen it LP/Vinyl sized.

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 08:27:44 PM »

Hmm, well, er, interesting. I guess.
The good thing is that they have to, I mean HAVE to, come up with Some. Killer. Album to prove a point. That's probably something to look forward to. They have to. They can't just use that name (Tyger-approved or not, he's not in it after all), and release a so-so album.

It's a bit of a shocker really, but if done right it might be very worthwile. After all, there was never just THE Albion Band. Many line ups had barely anything in common but the guy on the bass, who occasionally did take a back seat. And now the guy on the bass ain't there. But his son is while the father is lurking in the shadows still. That's a literal passing of the mantle.

Actually, to be frank, I can't wait to hear what they will come up with. But it's some responsibility.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 08:43:59 PM »

'New Albion; would have been fine for me on many levels
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 08:48:31 PM »

Yawwwnnnn, why can't his kid do something different. It's so boring when the kids go and do the same as the dad... generations of the same family working at Rover, generations of the same family in the Albion Band. What'll happen when it gets closed down?

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
ronnie

Loc: Crieff

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 10:15:47 PM »

On a similar note I went to see Penguin Cafe, another son of outfit. They played a mixture of old PCO and new stuff and I thoroughly enjoyed the evening. I don't have a problem with this incarnation either.

ronnie

now is the happiest time of your life!
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 10:24:35 PM »

Yawwwnnnn, why can't his kid do something different. It's so boring when the kids go and do the same as the dad... generations of the same family working at Rover, generations of the same family in the Albion Band. What'll happen when it gets closed down?

Join Matt Pegg's Fairport Convention or Teddy Thompson's Richard Thompson?

Thank Drunk I'm God
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 11:02:43 PM »

Only just logged on for the first time today. I really like the sound of that lineup, very talented musicians. Am looking forward to hearing them and will definitely look to book them.

I always felt that one of the great things about folk music is that it is passed down the generations to keep it alive and often the younger generation change it to make it more relevant to them and add different influences to the music. Surely this is exactly what is happening here.

Good luck to them.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 11:05:02 PM »

Only just logged on for the first time today. I really like the sound of that lineup, very talented musicians. Am looking forward to hearing them and will definitely look to book them.

I always felt that one of the great things about folk music is that it is passed down the generations to keep it alive and often the younger generation change it to make it more relevant to them and add different influences to the music. Surely this is exactly what is happening here.

Good luck to them.

Well put Andy
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2011, 11:46:13 PM »

Good luck to them.

Well said.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
fstix (Michael)

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2011, 04:29:00 AM »

Andy's approach makes a lot of sense to me too.

One question I wonder though is *why" Ashley isn't involved - does he not want to tour so much now, as the years pass?  (And fair enough if so).  Or did he just think the time was right to pass on the Albion name, while still doing other projects?

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2011, 05:27:05 AM »

Age gap?

fstix (Michael)

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2011, 05:43:03 AM »

Well it'd certainly be a noticeable age gap if it was Ashley and not BD in this new line-up.  But I wonder, if "Blair is the new Ashley" in terms of the Albions, then an all-youthful band was always going to be the case.  Whereas if it was still Ashley at the helm, the line-up would be different anyway.

All conjecture, all "what if" and what will be will be.  I just like over-thinking.  Smiley

Hurricane (Dan)
Do you think it might be worth 'owt?

Loc: Manchester

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2011, 09:00:49 AM »

There's about 63 people, at last count, who have been in The Albion Band. I don't think anyone buying a ticket to see The Albion Band is going to be in the least bit surprised there will be four more they haven't seen before!

Andy, my response top you earlier probably wasn't best made - I was more referring to the fact you said it's passing off and it's illegal which, when they are given approval to use the name, it clearly isn't.

Maybe it's worth a straw poll on a separate topic to see who would go an and see Fairport Convention on their first Winter Tour after Simon Nicol calls it a day - would everyone who disagrees with what The Albion Band is doing stop listening to Fairport after the only original member still in the band (who incidentally also took time out of the band) leaves? It would be interesting to find out.

My wife and kids are leaving me because of my obsession with horse racing. They're at the gate now. And they're off!
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2011, 09:07:29 AM »

Interesting disccssion - rather along the lines of Simon Nicol  saying FC could be like a brass band or orchestra just keeping the flame and ethic of the band alive regardless of who is actually in it. I think this is very exciting looking band and certainly hope to see them. As to comments along the lines that it isn't really an Albion Band without Ashley it is a bit like saying it isn't a National Theatre Company without Olivier, or it can't be a Theatre Workshop show without Joan LIttlewood. Some names traditions bear retaining and the Albion Band is one of those for me - it has always been a moveable feast and this is simply the next direction.

DW
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: