TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:28:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Festival Bell - Reviews  (Read 58242 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2011, 02:31:15 PM »

Well after some very gracious help from Office Drudge Mr. Nicol and Gareth in getting my copy to me last week after a slight delay, and after many listens, I proclaim it the best Fairport album I have heard in years. Won't do a song by song list but there is a flow to this album, like any really good album in which one song just flows into the next one naturally. It doesn't feel like 5 or 6 good tracks surrounded by throwaways. I really enjoy the entire album, and might I add, it sounds fantastic as well. Gerry's drumming, and Peggy's bass in particular are standout. WHile I have agreed on here before that I miss the electric sound, I think it has to be said that as an acoustic-ish album it shines. What I mean is the acoustic sound on Festival Bell is sharp, crisp and works really well pared with the songs. I disagree strongly with the twee aspect mentioned in the middle of the album (yes I know Im late getting to this!), I don't really see it. Uke Central is fun, don't take it too seriously. Around The Wild Cape Horn is exactly the type of song I want to hear on a Fairport album. Ric's instrumentals are fresher sounding than any of his more recent ones IMO, and I think Chris's songs are more focused and sharper than in recent albums. ALso want to mention that I think starting the album with a song such as Mercy Bay really shows how much the band themselves like the finished project. Starting with a song that builds up, rather than the attention grabbing fast paced opener is a sure sign of a band confident of the songs. Nicely done boys!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Big Martin

Loc: Bristol UK

Old Re-enactor

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2011, 02:14:23 PM »

Having got it - I like it. Maybe not their best ever but it's been on me player for weeks.

There's a heart in every place.
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2011, 01:27:31 PM »

Crumbs, such a long time since anyone wrote on this thread!

I like the CD, generally, with one or two exceptions. A question. Is anyone else reminded of the theme from Doctor Who during the opening bars of "Danny Jack's Chase"? No? That'll just be me then.

I enjoyed Rui's Guitar, DJs Chase, Mercy Bay and Reunion Hill. Wouldn't Say No, however is a track I DO say no to, every time. I just can't get into it at all.  Tongue

Around the Wild Cape Horn and Celtic Moon are okay. Ukulele Central I LOVE. Yep, I know it's a "novelty song" and irritates the pants off a lot of people,  but it puts a smile on my face every time, so that has to be a positive result.  Smiley Similarly, Albert and Ted. Much as I love the music of Chris While (author), I don't care for Darkside Wood. Chris Leslie does a fine job of playing and singing it of course, but the song does nothing for me.

London Apprentice/Johnnhy Ginears slips my memory for the moment, which probably says it all. Rising for the Moon is, of couse SUPERB. Such a wonderful track, and great to hear it again on this CD. Danny Jack's Reward is a welcome treat. The Festival Bell, commemorating as it does, the bells of Cropredy Church, has to be a star track.

A lovely album. Thank you Fairport Convention.  Kiss

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2011, 03:29:57 PM »

I much much prefer chris and Julies version of Darkside wood I'm afraid fairports just doesn't do it for me.

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2011, 04:18:50 PM »

I much much prefer chris and Julies version of Darkside wood I'm afraid fairports just doesn't do it for me.

Same here, Chris and Julie's version has much more 'fire' (sorry for the pun) in it.

Imponderable Joy
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2011, 05:39:54 PM »

Wild Cape Horn has grown on me, especially since seeing the YouTube clips of the voyage, but my top three are still Mercy Bay, Rui's Guitar and Reunion Hill. I had the same initial reaction as you GF to Wouldn't Say No but quite enjoyed it at Canterbury on the Acoustic Tour when they gave it a lot more oomph!
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2011, 07:08:27 PM »

I should have said Dartford not Canterbury.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2011, 08:11:58 PM »

Having read this thread its reminded me that I did eventually buy this album.  Roll Eyes  I like about 4 tracks and then IMO it deteriorates into 'easy listening' and total ruination of Ralph's fine songs and that its in the 'not played very often' section of my collection. In fact only last week I have ripped the faves from all of my albums, not just Fairport, and now I have a lovely play list on my pc.  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2011, 09:47:58 AM »

I like about 4 tracks and then IMO it deteriorates into 'easy listening'

Any help in identifying the tracks that aren't 'easy listening' would be gratefully received...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2011, 10:59:21 AM »

I like about 4 tracks and then IMO it deteriorates into 'easy listening'

Any help in identifying the tracks that aren't 'easy listening' would be gratefully received...

I think that may be a little harsh David. I agree with the views that it deteriorates after a strong start and my feeling is that there is about half a decent album buried in there. Mellowness does not necessarily equate to easy listening and I would argue that Mercy Bay, Reunion Hill, Wouldn't Say No and Festival Bell itself are all strong songs and performances.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2011, 06:22:17 PM »

Well, its all relative anyway-couple months in and I still think its one of the best things Fairport have done in years. I have my little quibbles as well, but I think from top down (as compared to Sense Of Occasion) this was a rethink on the band's part. I still think it sounds fantastic sound quality/production wise. Have not heard Chris and Julie's Darkside Wood, so I have no comparison to make, but I have heard Ralph's Cape Horn. I am very often conflicted in these matters, because the Gladys' Leap on to now Fairport have done good interpretations of songs by Steve Tilston, Julie Matthews, etc, but most especially by Ralph. and being a huge Fairport fan, and a huge Ralph McTell fan, I can never say with any truthfulness that I prefer one version over another. That is not the case with the first two I mentioned. I think Slip Jigs and Reels, Naked Highwayman to name two, are better versions than Steve's, and I think Jewel In The Crown is better than Julie's own version. Somehow I can't do that with Ralph's songs. So if you like Ralph's or Chris While's versions better, fair play to you!

Well, thats my two cents.....we can debate NEXT WEEK at Cropredy if anyone wants.  Wink

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2011, 07:01:11 PM »

.....we can debate NEXT WEEK at Cropredy if anyone wants.  Wink

That sounds like an offer of some fisticuffs Robert!!!  Wink  Oh, and please bring your bowler hat. I saw on another thread that it wasn't gonna make the journey.
How can this be true?

No Left Turn Unstoned
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2011, 07:16:46 PM »

That sounds like an offer of some fisticuffs Robert!!!  Wink  Oh, and please bring your bowler hat. I saw on another thread that it wasn't gonna make the journey.
How can this be true?

Well as to point one....the Irish temper does come out sometimes..... Cheesy

Yes its true-much as I would love to wear the bowler, it doesn't pack well, and because I am lugging a backpack, instead of a suitcase, I just don't see how I can bring it, Tell you what, if I can figure it out once I'm done with packing it all up, I will reconsider!

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2011, 07:18:10 PM »

How can this be true?

Yes its true-much as I would love to wear the bowler, it doesn't pack well, and because I am lugging a backpack, instead of a suitcase, I just don't see how I can bring it, Tell you what, if I can figure it out once I'm done with packing it all up, I will reconsider!

dont pack the hat, just wear it
problem solved

The Dude abides
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2011, 07:19:24 PM »

How can this be true?

dont pack the hat, just wear it
problem solved

I was just about to post that myself!

No Left Turn Unstoned
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2011, 07:48:16 PM »

OY! yes, I had of course thought of that.....so not to  be accused of thread drift.....Wouldn't Say No....but I also Wouldn't Say Yes  Wink

Paula Tindall

Loc: Northants

« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2011, 06:50:23 PM »

I loved Reunion Hill! A beautiful ,heartbreaking, song. I was very surprised that Chris played a whistle though. He very kindly added an extremely beautiful fiddle track to our version of it for our  CD a few years ago. I really enjoyed hearing it at Cropredy last night. A fantastic evening all round. A few tears were shed.....as usual!
Collstoke (Ian)
I'm immortalised in 3D

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent

No longer a virgin

« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2011, 03:43:42 PM »

I brought the album the week before Cropredy so it isn't overplayed yet.
Both me and the wife like all the tracks, except for Ukulele Central. We have really tried, but we can't stand it. I've never been so happy to have a skip button.
Rui's Guitar has been a bit spoiled for me. At Cropredy, the drunken bloke next to me was singing along quietly, even though he didn't know any of the words. Every time it came to 'Rui's guitar', he constantly shouted it out at the top of his voice.
I can't get the image of his big mouth and the sound of his loud voice out of my head, but I hope to in time cos it's a nice song.
It's hard to pick an outstanding track, cos I like so many  Smiley
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2011, 02:35:38 PM »

I've been a regular grump as far as FC recent material is concerned. The band does have of course a mightly legacy to compete with. But I must admit, Festival Bell has pleasantly surprised me. In fact, I think it's very very good and their best since Jewel In The Crown. Easily the best by this line-up.
Whereas I am still thinking: add PJ Wright to the band. He's been in the periphery long enough, guested regularly and can add that much needed 'oomph'. Until then though, Festival Bell will do just fine for me.  
RobertL

« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2011, 09:33:04 PM »

It seems ever since '85, there's been the slant towards the middle-of-the-road, play it safe material. Yet, the past twenty-six years have produced some great songs and yes, some fine albums. I'll be the first to say that I held out until quite recently to pick-up a copy of Festival Bell simply because Sense of Occasion left such a bad taste. having listened to FB a few times now, I must confess that I am quite pleased with it. There's a nice mix here that balances out the proceedings and songs like Mercy Bay, Rui's Guitar, Reunion Hill, along with the instrumental prowess displayed on Danny Jack's Chase and the standout Danny Jack's Reward simply blew me away! The arrangements this time out seem a bit more thought out and dare I say that the band is genuinely challenging one another? Sure sounds like it. I'll go so far and say that FB is the best overall FC album since the band reformed. Sure, there's a weak spot or two, Ukulele Central come instantly to mind. However, even Peggy sounds good on Celtic Moon and it's just that type of song and performance that makes FB a pleasure to listen to. This sits nicely alongside Jewel, TWaTW, and OtNH. Def worth having!  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: