TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:37:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Festival Bell - Reviews  (Read 58250 times)
Greg E

« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2011, 12:33:56 PM »

It seems ever since '85, there's been the slant towards the middle-of-the-road, play it safe material. Yet, the past twenty-six years have produced some great songs and yes, some fine albums.

You sum it up perfectly for me.
In recent years I have been more of an ‘occasional’ listener to Fairport for this very reason. (btw Live I think they are as good as ever). I have time and time again felt that much of the recorded material is full square rooted to easy listening MOR. Dare I say, insipid at times.

I can’t help but compare it to the last Steeleye album (where, unashamedly my preference lies in their last 20 years of recorded material) where conversely to this FC one, the whole album is Trad. Arr.
And to my ear the Steeleye album (Cogs, Wheels and Lovers) ends up with more originality, deeper shades (of Rock & ‘gentle’) and just better songs with better and more interesting arrangements. And why Simon is hiding away his Electric guitar is totally beyond me.

However, I do still like FC and I do agree with most people that this is quite possibly their best album for 25+ years. Mercy Bay is indeed a tour de force and worth the admission price alone. They really do need to get some of the Rock and ‘Uniqueness’ back into their recorded material.

Although probably a ‘younger’ fan of Folk/Folk Rock (i.e. under 40..just..  ) I long for more of the material (both Steeleye and FC) from the classic years of 69-72. I know it can’t happen but I sense Steeleye are the band still most ‘connected’ to their (and my) roots.

I will keep buying and supporting though!
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2011, 10:31:30 PM »

I play this album a lot and agree it's their best in years. Ukulele Central sounds so much like authentic 1940s popular music that I, too, just have to skip to the next track - not a genre I could ever learn to love. But the rest of the album contains some real classics in the making.

MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2011, 12:54:20 AM »

Just would like to add to someone's comment about Simon's electric guitar playing. I don't know the man (we only met a couple of times when my old band opened for Fairport some years ago), but I get the impression (correct me if I am wrong, please) that he thinks he sucks at electric guitar. The why of that quite simply eludes me...I think he is an exceptional guitar player on both electric and acoustic!

Or maybe he just doesn't like playing electric. What do I know? As I say, I don't know the man.
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2011, 10:43:31 AM »

I must agree about Simon's prowess on the guitar.  I recall seeing him with the Albion Dance Band at Folk Song '76 (yes, I'm an old git!).  I can't remember the piece he played (it wasn't Merry Sherwood Rangers), but my friend sitting next to me - no mean guitarist himself - exclaimed: "Bloody hell - is that just him?!"

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
SteveK
No load, always skip

Loc: London

It's a long way up from down here

« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2012, 08:44:55 PM »

Quick question. Just returning to "Festival Bell" after a while...

Can anyone identify the hornpipe that Ric and Chris play in Wild Cape Horn?

jimc

« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2012, 05:14:39 PM »

Or maybe he just doesn't like playing electric.

I heard him say not many years ago that playing electric guitar bores him these days, but it was a post gig aside, and I don't know how seriously you should take those sorts of comments. Might depend on how well the gig went I suppose.
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2012, 09:53:33 AM »

Just would like to add to someone's comment about Simon's electric guitar playing. I don't know the man (we only met a couple of times when my old band opened for Fairport some years ago), but I get the impression (correct me if I am wrong, please) that he thinks he sucks at electric guitar. The why of that quite simply eludes me

Too much standing next to Richard Thompson?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: