TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:52:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Festival Bell - Reviews  (Read 58240 times)
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 08:27:31 PM »

Wouldn't Say No - wouldn't say yes!  I find I cannot warm to the protagonist so don't really care what happens to him.  "... sweating in his driving seat" - not a pleasant image - you just know he is a man who wears polyester and smells of B.O.

I'm on my third listen.  Mercy Bay, Reunion Hill and Rui's Guitar are immediate favourites.  Actually, that's not strictly true - I was already enjoying Rui's Guitar in the Youtube clips.  I'm not sure why I like it though.  I had to look up Fado and realise that the lyrics are cleverer(?!) than I first thought although some of the images are a bit mixed between the road and the sea.

So far so good ... Smiley  
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 09:27:37 PM »

Well it hasn't been mentioned yet, but ... Danny Jack's Reward. Wow! I'm completely blown away by it, especially the wonderful bassy bit in the middle. The whole thing sounds positively experimental.

As for the rest of the album, I (on the whole) love it. The best in years, I think.
David VB

Loc: Abingdon

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 12:05:34 PM »

On first listen bit disappointed.  It all seems a bit too ...polite.  No sign of the "wild electric sound" for example Hawkwood's Army on the last album.

On second listen the next morning, much better.  Some strong songs, mainly those mentioned and especially Mercy Bay. Simon's vocals are some of the best for years.  It won't be the first one I grab to save if there's a fire, but it will get played quite often. Still think the ukulele thing should have been strangled at birth though. Novelty songs get tiresome very quickly.

One point struck me listening to the title track. I have always enjoyed this live as it has a great sense of fun.  That doesn't come across as strongly. Perhaps the RT ploy of recording new albums live rathe rthan in the studio would be more liberating for groups who thrive on stage and that could be an option for FC.

(Pedants corner:  the notes to Round Cape Horn refer to the Peking being based in Connecticut.  There is a 1911 barque called Peking at the South St Seaport in Mahattan and I think this might be the same one. Very fine boat/ship. Would attach photo if I wasn't technically challenged!)

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 01:53:45 PM »

First listen and I'm happy so far. Not reached track 8 yet though! Grin

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
The Happy Man (Rob)

Loc: Leeds, England.

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 02:33:07 PM »

Reunion Hill - Another splendid vocal by Simon
love the keyboards and whistles in the background!!

Life's too short to be sad, wishing things you'll never have,
You're better off not dreaming of the things to come,
Dreams are always ending far too soon.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 03:22:26 PM »

(Pedants corner:  the notes to Round Cape Horn refer to the Peking being based in Connecticut.  There is a 1911 barque called Peking at the South St Seaport in Mahattan and I think this might be the same one. Very fine boat/ship. Would attach photo if I wasn't technically challenged!)

Indeed, this must be the Peking at the South Street Seaport, as it was built in Hamburg, also mentioned in the song. Further pedantic note-the same Peking can be seen in portions of Oysterband's video for New York Girls from 1989!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 10:16:18 PM »

I've criticised Fairport's latter day albums, but I'm enjoying Festival Bell a lot.

There's a great "modern" sound to this album, very bouncy...

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 04:45:53 PM »

Listening for the first time whilst typing (praise I-phone!). I've only got as far as reunion hill, but really impressed so far. It sounds crisp, no 'tweeness', and excellent songs. If it continues in the same vein, could be the strongest studio output since Jewel. Good one! Grin
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 06:28:36 PM »

Well it hasn't been mentioned yet, but ... Danny Jack's Reward. Wow! I'm completely blown away by it, especially the wonderful bassy bit in the middle. The whole thing sounds positively experimental.

After a few more spins the instrumentals grow on me. Even if the Reward hasn't come up on top, all three sound rather "unfarportish" in a positive meaning. Experimental yes, and fresh. My thoughts go way back to the FH and 9-lineups instrumentals. Very refreshing!

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 07:59:22 PM »

Well, I've been living with the album since Friday evening, and each listen reveals something different... lots of little details, like the percussion on Mercy Bay - there's a sound not unlike "detuned sleigh bells" - for want of a better description - that evokes (to me)Native Canadian/First Nation/Inuit/Eskimo ritual.

The sound & production is really clear, the playing and singing are top class, and there's only track that doesn't immediately "grab" me - London Apprentice - but it might grow on me... who knows.

Other than that, the rest of the album is, IMHO, really strong, melodic and accessible - I'm even enjoying the Ukulele Song (at least for now).  Well done the Chaps & Mr Gale.

Flobbadob!
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 08:18:57 PM »

Well, I've been living with the album since Friday evening, and each listen reveals something different... lots of little details, like the percussion on Mercy Bay - there's a sound not unlike "detuned sleigh bells" - for want of a better description - that evokes (to me)Native Canadian/First Nation/Inuit/Eskimo ritual.

Mercy Bay is in the Canadian artic sea area, north of the North Western Territiories, so good call..

Thank Drunk I'm God
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 08:26:31 AM »

Festival bell - arrived yesterday and I listened to it twice in one go- which is something I rarely do.
For me, it is a great album.
In the best possible sense of the word it feels cosy for me.
For lack of better words: it is like your old living room with some new furniture or decoration  in it.
You know and cherish and are familiar with the basics but you are delighted by some new details.
Well done, chaps.

Peter
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 01:36:42 PM »

Is it available to download from anywhere? Or is it only on sale via the FC web site just now?

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 01:37:24 PM »

Hope I get this for my birthday!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Viv G

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, 08:03:07 AM »

Pugs ,I think this may be a subtle hint Wink
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2011, 08:34:42 AM »

I almost certainly will as I shall be at the Union Chapel gig on mine!
Graham B

Loc: Northamptonshire

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2011, 12:58:26 PM »

I've been listening to the new CD on my commute to and from work for the last week or so.
I haven't enjoyed a new Fairport studio album this much since XXXV came out back in 2004.

My Favourites are "Rui's Guitar", "Celtic Moon" and the 3 instrumental tracks "Danny Jack's Chase" "Albert And Ted" and "Danny Jack's Reward". The instrumentals include some great percussion from Gerry and bass from Peggy, as well as the expected fiddle work outs.

Simon's lead vocals are excellent on "Mercy Bay". Well they're excellent on all the songs he sings on the album, it's just that, so far, the songs "Reunion Hill" and "Around the Wild Cape Horn" are less to my taste.

"Festival Bell" is a good song, but doesn't seem new anymore having heard it over the last few years on tour, at Cropredy and on the "off The Screen" DVD. The faint peel of bells at the end was unexpected and finishes off the song, and album, nicely. Top marks whoever came up with the idea.

I didn't think I would be that bothered about "Ukulele Central", but you know what, it fits in well on the album, and has me singing along every time, so I'm glad it's there.

The only song I'm not so keen on is "London Apprentice".

It's a damn good album and I look forward to hearing the songs live at the Stables in March.
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2011, 01:11:57 PM »

Pugs ,I think this may be a subtle hint Wink

Ah, I followed it up y'know and it's arrived today, hurrah!

Playing as I wordprocess  Grin

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2011, 06:48:11 PM »

Just had the first listen - it makes me smile.  Grin

Off for a second listen, to see what I *hear* this time

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Nic O
Grandad takes a trip

Loc: North Wales

Propaganda, all is phoney

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 02:26:10 PM »

Here's our review to be published soon...

Fairport Convention
Festival Bell
Matty Grooves Records
FESTIVAL Bell is the latest CD from folk rock legends Fairport Convention.
It is the band's first new studio album for four years and features 13 new songs and tunes plus a stunning revival of Sandy Denny's classic Rising For The Moon.
It is instantly the band's most accessible and probably most 'commercial' album for many years.
The CD includes compositions by Fairport's Chris Leslie, Ric Sanders and Dave Pegg, two new songs by legendary singer-songwriter Ralph McTell, three other guest compositions and the aforementioned  reworking of Rising For The Moon.
The title of the album (and the eponymous song) celebrates the church bell inscribed 'Fairport Convention Festival Bell' in the tower of St Mary's Church in Cropredy, Oxfordshire.
The bell was cast and installed in 2007 and funded by donations from fans attending Fairport's annual music festival in Cropredy.
Personal stand-out tracks are the haunting Mercy Bay and Carolyn Evans' equally moody Celtic Moon.
Another two songs which stay with you long after the album has finished are Chris While's stunning Darkside Wood and McTell's Around the Wild Cape Horn.
The album is interspersed with some brilliant tunes by Ric Sanders... none more so than the quirky couplet of Danny Jack's Chase and Danny Jack's Reward... just listen to the juxtaposition between Ric's fiddle and Peggy's bass work.
Ukelele Central is lots of fun too.
Few could better Sandy Denny's rendition of Rising For The Moon... but Chris Leslie comes pretty damn close here.
All in all a cracking album and highly recommended.
9/10               

Through the mad mystic hammering of the wild ripping hail
The sky cracked its poems in naked wonder
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: