TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 04, 2024, 12:42:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2010  (Read 152303 times)
Harriet

Loc: Medway

« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2010, 04:47:12 PM »

Show began just a smidge after 7.30 in Margate, finished round about 10.30.  We hung around chatting to the band and getting autographs, made it home to the Medway towns just after midnight!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2010, 04:49:06 PM »

I'd allow 1930 - 2240.....or 30 minutes later if an 8pm start

giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2010, 04:59:12 PM »

I'd allow 1930 - 2240.....or 30 minutes later if an 8pm start

Taxi home then by the sound of it!
Viv G

« Reply #143 on: February 01, 2010, 05:38:26 PM »

no, thankfully.

shame Sad I liked it
trewin

« Reply #144 on: February 01, 2010, 07:36:19 PM »

Canterbury was our usual venue on the Winter tour, but have seen the chaps in Maidstone (at the Exchange and also at the leisure centre Mote park)  would be nice if they visited Chatham's central Halls or even the Brook which is where Feast of Fiddles are at the end of March.

As this year is the 40th anniversary of the open air concert in Maidstone as featured on the DVD also my 1st fairport gig it would have been nice if they had managed a gig here either on the "Wintour" or the acoustic one.
folkieboater

« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2010, 08:20:29 PM »

(PS Really ought to mention John Gale - Tewkesbury is always good, but the sound on Saturday was superb)

So he was only a day late then Tongue)
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2010, 11:37:26 PM »

I saw the chaps at The Octagon Yeovil Sunday night. Just got back to London this evening so quick report. I Really enjoyed the set. The Octagon was probably around 80% full - so pretty good crowd. Dream song was brilliant.  New songs interesting - plenty of fiddle work!

If you don't want the set list spoilt then i suggest you don't read the 2010 T -shirt untill after the gig as it seems to list all the songs including the new ones.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2010, 09:11:29 AM »

... but it includes 1 song not in the set (not at Tewkesbury, anyway).  Chris mentioned it would be in the set for the Spring acoustic tour though.

Flobbadob!
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2010, 09:44:45 AM »

Pretty Damn Cosmic....

Thank you.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2010, 11:12:53 AM »

... but it includes 1 song not in the set (not at Tewkesbury, anyway).  Chris mentioned it would be in the set for the Spring acoustic tour though.

The T shirt actually included the names of two songs that they didn't perform at Yeovil.  
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2010, 11:41:17 AM »

They didn't do their cover of "Wait & Bleed"?  Wink

Flobbadob!
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2010, 12:00:30 PM »

(PS Really ought to mention John Gale - Tewkesbury is always good, but the sound on Saturday was superb)

So he was only a day late then Tongue)

Ooops....... Embarrassed

Too many gigs!  John's efforts on behalf of FC were, of course, on Friday, but the sound mixed by Roger on Saturday was indeed superb, albeit for Gigspanner at Cirencester. (see seperate thread).

Looking forward to seeing them both again this coming weekend.

S&J
tony the roundhead
Concept Man
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Barford St M

The 17th century is when everything changes..

« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2010, 06:55:25 PM »

Of to the maltings a week Tuesday..

I'll be there.

..and you gotta be ready - so, ur banne coreff ma pliche!
Viv G

« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2010, 11:41:01 PM »

Of to the maltings a week Tuesday..

I'll be there.

me too Grin
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2010, 12:01:08 AM »

So, just back from the Worthing leg.

I arrived late as a result of not being able to find anywhere to park. I'm not sure where all the car owners were though as the theatre was maybe slightly more than half full. At least the audience was, eventually, quite enthusiastic.

Flossie & Keith were excellent, a bonus as I had not really expected to enjoy them. Still no CDs though which was probably just as well as I have a bit of a history of buying discs by Fairport support acts, playing them once and then never listening to them again. Not in recent years admittedly.

As for the chaps... I think at least one member of the band may have enjoyed themselves a great deal at the folk awards last night! The between songs chat seemed a little laboured at times and they looked a bit tired. This was not reflected in the music however. Highlights for me were storming versions Dirty Linen and John Gaudie/The Bowman's Retreat along with the new medley of classic Fairport instrumentals including Bridge Over The River Ash as you have never heard it before. As with the last two years however the centrepiece was the Babbacombe Lee material. I can really see this line up doing justice to a performance of the whole album should they follow through with that idea. Dream Song was sublime. A slight pity that Ric did not try and emulate Swarb's angular solo from the album, prefering instead something more melodic but he more than made up for it with the new effects driven unaccompanied link piece that led into The Hanging Song.

The evening was of course rounded off with Matty which, in this more traditional reading, made for a refreshing change. Then it was MOTL and a surprisingly emotional farewell from Simon. Affection was passing back and forth from stage to audience and I got the impression that the band really enjoyed themselves tonight, even if they were a little subdued.

So did I!
Steve with the black dog
Your fox is male
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: The rainy Lake District

So little time, so much to do

« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2010, 06:55:06 PM »

Leamington was also a gig of two halves with the audience rather quiet until after the beer and ice cream break.  The venue came alive more in the second half and as a consequence so did the band.

Just a mention for the Pirates of the Caribean influenced Danny Jack's Chase - a really enjoyable new swashbuckler from Ric.

Like Gub-gub, my highlights included Dirty Linen and John Gaudie.  Thanks to Simon for the straight version of MG.  He says it was not a response to my campaign, but I'll kid myself that I am more influential than I am Grin

MOTL was enhanced by Flossie's lovely rich alto voice and her sparkly evening dress.

For any others who are keen on trivia; I liked Peggy's new 5 string bass. I note he is now playing it through a Laney.  Also liked Simon's diddy acoustic - what is it?

A simple life, voluntarily chosen, can be a source of strength.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2010, 08:39:21 PM »

For any others who are keen on trivia; I liked Peggy's new 5 string bass. I note he is now playing it through a Laney.  Also liked Simon's diddy acoustic - what is it?

I spoke to Peggy about his new bass at The Dylan Project gig at The 100 Club in December - he told me it was the 1st time he'd used it live. Sounds like Simon's "diddy" acoustic might be his Rob Armstrong Parlour guitar ?

Have found I'm able to get away to the Portsmouth show on Wednesday evening...would love to see any TAWers there.
Steve with the black dog
Your fox is male
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: The rainy Lake District

So little time, so much to do

« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2010, 09:59:37 PM »

I spoke to Peggy about his new bass at The Dylan Project gig at The 100 Club in December - he told me it was the 1st time he'd used it live. Sounds like Simon's "diddy" acoustic might be his Rob Armstrong Parlour guitar ?

Have found I'm able to get away to the Portsmouth show on Wednesday evening...would love to see any TAWers there.

The diddy guitar had a triangular A on the headstock so, yes it was his Armstrong.

A simple life, voluntarily chosen, can be a source of strength.
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2010, 06:13:25 PM »

Danny Jack's Chase - a really enjoyable new swashbuckler from Ric.

................and a tune which keeps coming back to you days after the gig!!!

We were also at Leamington. The seating doesn't get any more comfortable nor the bar less crowded but a really enjoyable evening nonetheless.
Flossie and Keith have completely reworked ther set since last week and are much more "together". The chaps, as always, were great value having really settled in to most of the songs. Highlights... Hens March Medley, a brilliant WKWTTG from Simon and the two BL songs with Ric's PDC link. Oh and Peggy's bass on Dirty Linen was terrific.

Enjoyed chatting to Martin D and Ellen - we've nodded to each other previously but never really spoken  Smiley

Very strange to be shepherded from the premises by a bouncer (well, steward really). That's not happened for years but it was after 11  Wink

S&J
Viv G

« Reply #159 on: February 08, 2010, 07:06:51 PM »

Reading all these posts has made me even more excited about the gig at the Maltings tomorrow Grin Can't wait!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: