TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:33:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2010  (Read 149597 times)
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #340 on: March 09, 2010, 02:18:45 PM »

Thanks for the explanations!

All of that makes sense  Cool

DC
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #341 on: March 09, 2010, 03:14:40 PM »

Sir Simon Rattle was conducting the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, playing Bach's St Matthew Passion at Symphony Hall that evening. That may have had quite a lot to do with how busy the area around Brindley Place was.

More likely to have been The Stereophonics at the NIA. All three venues use the same car parks with one access road.

So..............before anyone else asks. Why was Sir Simon conducting the Stereophonics?

s
Tertonmike

Loc: Dublin

Still At It...

« Reply #342 on: March 11, 2010, 12:42:06 AM »

Just in from tonight's Dublin gig in Whelan's.  Smallish venue but full and appreciative with a standing ovation at the end.  Simon particularly prolix with the intros., seemed to be enjoying himself.

Brother-in-law and I delighted to have been complimented on our "People's Republic...." t-shirts in the gents by Peggy himself (we let him skip the queue, he was burstin'!).

No support so slight amendments to the GB tour setlist:

Walk Awhile
The Happy Man
Wouldn't Say No
Jewel in the Crown
Rising for the Moon
Fame & Glory
The Hen's March etc
Ukulele Central
The Festival Bell
---------
Dirty Linen
Rocky Road
Dream & Hanging Songs
Danny Jack's Chase
Who Knows....?
John Gaudie/Bowman's
Matty
---------
MOTL

If you weren't there tonight, make sure you catch 'em tomorrow!

"Music is the antidote
To the world of pain and sorrow"
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #343 on: March 11, 2010, 03:34:20 PM »

Well I had planned a visit to my parents and then realized that as if by chance the dates I had chosen coincided with the Crosby show, after a moments consideration calls were made and the valet made his way to the box office and purchased tickets.

Then the doubt set in, I had only seen Winter Tours in the dim and distant past and really had no idea what to expect as I had very little attachment to newer material beyond the CD's. On the day of the gig I got a little carried away meeting up with a friend and therefore got to Crosby only in time to eat quickly and then run to the gig so I missed going to the Liver and seeing if I could recognize anyone from their very small pictures.

I thought the gig started a little slow and disjointed but by the time they got to Chris' new song they had gotten into their stride and I remembered the extraordinary camaraderie Fairport have with their audience especially on the winter tour, Cropredy is a pilgrimage, the various events throughout the years as anniversaries come and pass are enjoyable, but the winter tour is a band reconnecting with it's audience, celebrating the past and presenting it's future. The newer tracks fit very well with the old favorites and the chaps really looked to be enjoying themselves. I thought the set was a nice mix of old and new and I find myself looking forward to the new album, and am now re listening to the more recent output.

As it looks unlikely that the band will be coming to the states in the near future I shall have to repeat this type of plan in the future and make the effort myself. It was nice to be mentioned by Simon if a little embarrassing, so thank you to whoever did that and next year if I make it I will make the effort to meet people and even say hi to the band.

I have to say though that Crosby Civic hall reminded me a little of being at a school assembly.

Neil finally home in Portland Oregon after being stuck in Manchester airport for 8 hours and Philadelphia airport for a day.   Smiley Smiley

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #344 on: March 16, 2010, 09:28:25 AM »

We just wanted to say a huge thank you to all the chaps for signing the Uke, this will be a fine raffle prize for the Help The Heroes charity gig. It was the last night of the tour and even though they were exhausted, they still had time for a little oik like me to chase them round with a uke and sharpy. Thank's again Smiley

C x

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: