TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:25:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2010  (Read 155724 times)
Harriet

Loc: Medway

« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2010, 05:57:34 PM »

The Theatre Royal is a small atmospheric theatre in Margate town centre.  At the Winter Gardens another boyband was "playing" in that JLS were in town.  Keith Dinnelly and Flossy made reference to this in their intro saying that Fairport were here and if you'd come for JLS you were in the wrong place, we then got the first 2 lines of the JLS song People in love.  Enough said.
Flossie and Keith were superb, I had seen Flossie as support on the SOH tour and was wll impressed then as Flossie would say"terribly good"!
Can't remember the set list but the chaps began with Si tu dois about which Simon said later it was good to hear it sung by a French person!  The set also included a couple of new tunes, jewel in the crown ( a different arrangement as Simon repeated a verse!) the dream song and the hanging song from Babbacombe Lee, dirty linen, john Gaudie, Walk Awhile Rising for the Moon, Ukeulele central, Rocky Road Fame and Glory and a medley of fiddle tunes put together by Chris and Ric.  Who knows, Matty Groves and Meet on the ledge brought the evening to a close.
An enjoyable evening, the second night of the tour, Flossie and Keith were a bit stressed as their CD was not available so they had a list operating to forward the Cd to those who wanted it.  However they did have a solo cd each on sale, and Fairport had the new DVD, the CD Sense of Occasion, the usual T shirt and also a sweat shirt as well as a different take on the programme.  I took a Fairport virgin with me and she was well impressed and she is talking of going to Cropredy.  I shall be seeing the chaps again at Tunbridge Wells and it will be interesting to see how the tour has progressed.
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2010, 06:07:20 PM »

Harriet, I think you are my hero of the day!

Imponderable Joy
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2010, 06:42:49 PM »

Mmmm, "Rising For The Moon", that's an old favourite.
Thanks Harriet!
Look forward to more impressions!  Grin

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2010, 06:48:39 PM »

Of to the maltings a week Tuesday.. I have missed the last 2 wintours due to not buying tickets untill the last minute so this time we got in earlier..  2 weeks ago there were still plenty to be had..

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2010, 10:08:12 PM »

Thanks Harriet Smiley

Looking forward to Dream Song ... anything from BL always welcome ... and Rising For The Moon ... that should be good!  Don't think I'll ever tire of hearing Fame and Glory Cool  Oooh, it's all so exciting Grin
Steve with the black dog
Your fox is male
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: The rainy Lake District

So little time, so much to do

« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2010, 11:05:34 PM »

Cheers Harriet

Which version of Matty Groves did they play?  I understand they played the L&L intro on the first day.

Can't wait til Friday.

A simple life, voluntarily chosen, can be a source of strength.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »

Morning all,

sorry for the delay in reporting the 1st night at Tewkesbury, but I've been a bit busy.

As already mentioned, a very different set list from last winter; 2 new pieces, a song from Chris which I have to say immediately impressed me, and an instrumental from Ric - quite upbeat & a definite jazzy feel.  Simon donned his specs for this one, so I'm guessing he was reading the dots...

"Dreaming" from JBL - now this was my least favourite track on the album, but the chaps played it very well, especially the (high) harmonies, and the arrangement that saw the final chorus fade away into a couple of minutes of solo Ric (elements of PDC) & then Simon counting in Hanging Song will, I hope, become a regular feature.

For those who like their Matty "straight" - you will not be disappointed.

Flossie & Keith were a little on edge, due to the non-delivery of the CD, but despite that, they turned in a well-received, professional set with no little humour.

Rather than possibly spoil the enjoyment for others, no more about the show, but a few little observations:

Simon seemed to have started with the wintour cold early, possibly a continuation of the cold he picked up on the Excalibur shows

2011 will be the 40th anniversary of JBL; Simon mentioned (on stage & afterwards) that it is an aspiration for the band to present the album in full at Cropredy next year.

All the chaps were in good spirits after the gig, Ric promising to provide sartorial advice to a lady who was shopping for clothes for a wedding the following day... "I'm the Gok Wan of the band", he said.

Flobbadob!
Harriet

« Reply #127 on: February 01, 2010, 08:55:34 AM »

Meant also to say that Chris said that there would be a new Feast of Fiddles album out soon (a studio one)
FionaS

Loc: Margate

« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2010, 09:46:03 AM »

Very nice sold-out gig at Margate Theatre Royal - an intimate venue with excellent acoustics. Good to have visitors all the way from Medway Harriet! Loved the new stuff esp the Jack Daniel's-inspired one by Ric - Simon told me they hadn't had much time to rehearse together and it was nerve-racking. He did look to be concentrating rather hard but then he often does! Great to the hear the Dream Song going straight into the Hanging Song. Also, Matty with NO reggae reggae, a bit of Excalibur, and WKWTTG with as much respect as ever. Agree, Keith and Flossie did a great job - both very funny as well as excellent musicians - and it was excellent to hear Si tu dois partir sung in proper French. Hope they made it all the way to Yeovil yesterday - breakfast then off I suspect.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2010, 10:07:36 AM »

Is "Best Wishes" still in the repertoire?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2010, 10:10:55 AM »

no, thankfully.

Harriet

« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2010, 10:13:10 AM »

Canterbury was our usual venue on the Winter tour, but have seen the chaps in Maidstone (at the Exchange and also at the leisure centre Mote park)  would be nice if they visited Chatham's central Halls or even the Brook which is where Feast of Fiddles are at the end of March.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2010, 11:07:20 AM »

Meant also to say that Chris said that there would be a new Feast of Fiddles album out soon (a studio one)

Yes, it is mentioned briefly on their website. On sale in time for the tour apparently. I'm hoping to be at the Chatham gig.

Meanwhile it is Fairport in Worthing tomorrow. I hope a few more tickets have been sold than this time last week.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2010, 11:11:27 AM »

Meanwhile it is Fairport in Worthing tomorrow. I hope a few more tickets have been sold than this time last week.

So do they, I imagine!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2010, 11:14:16 AM »

Morning all,

sorry for the delay in reporting the 1st night at Tewkesbury, but I've been a bit busy.

As already mentioned, a very different set list from last winter; 2 new pieces, a song from Chris which I have to say immediately impressed me, and an instrumental from Ric - quite upbeat & a definite jazzy feel.  Simon donned his specs for this one, so I'm guessing he was reading the dots...

"Dreaming" from JBL - now this was my least favourite track on the album, but the chaps played it very well, especially the (high) harmonies, and the arrangement that saw the final chorus fade away into a couple of minutes of solo Ric (elements of PDC) & then Simon counting in Hanging Song will, I hope, become a regular feature.

For those who like their Matty "straight" - you will not be disappointed.

Flossie & Keith were a little on edge, due to the non-delivery of the CD, but despite that, they turned in a well-received, professional set with no little humour.

Rather than possibly spoil the enjoyment for others, no more about the show, but a few little observations:

Simon seemed to have started with the wintour cold early, possibly a continuation of the cold he picked up on the Excalibur shows

2011 will be the 40th anniversary of JBL; Simon mentioned (on stage & afterwards) that it is an aspiration for the band to present the album in full at Cropredy next year.

All the chaps were in good spirits after the gig, Ric promising to provide sartorial advice to a lady who was shopping for clothes for a wedding the following day... "I'm the Gok Wan of the band", he said.

Also at Tewkesbury....and also a bit late in reporting back  Wink

Not an awful lot to add to Paul's comments.

The link between Dreaming and the Hanging Song is indeed a reworked version of PDC, and was one of the highlights of the evening , together with Chris' arrangement of the Hen's March which included bits of most of the other fiddle instrumentals from the FC repertoire!

Peggy has a new Ibanez bass which was brilliant on Dirty Linen, but which sadly blew his amp shortly afterwards.

Spoilers are a bit redundant as the set list is on the front of the Tour t-shirt. Ric's new instrumental is called Danny Jack's Chase (his introduction will explain all) and is really good as is Chris' new song "Wouldn't Say No".

Having seen Flossie with SoH, we were looking forward to her support with Keith, but it didn't quite work for us. Possibly a combination of first night nerves and, as has been mentioned, the loss of a number of CDs somewhere between Doncaster and France. Thoroughly professional, but a bit disjointed.

Fairport, however, after a bit of a tentative start, really opened up after the Hens March. According to Simon, Tewkesbury has been venue of choice for Wintour first nights for 25 years. Friday must have been one of the best!

S&J

(PS Really ought to mention John Gale - Tewkesbury is always good, but the sound on Saturday was superb)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #135 on: February 01, 2010, 11:34:46 AM »

So do they, I imagine!

I just feel embarrassed and uncomfortable when I see them in a half empty theatre and ashamed of the town I live in. It is the Worthing malaise. I once saw Ian Hunter & Mick Ronson in front of not much more than three men and a dog here and Nils Lofgren & Max Weinberg with only a few more.

It could be worse though. I was at a benefit gig for the Haiti earthquake victims on Saturday. The capacity of the venue was 800. There were maybe 60 people there. No danger of somebody obscuring your view of the stage but the charity aspect just made it even more uncomfortable.
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2010, 12:15:34 PM »

This all sounds promising - looking forward to seeing them in a few weeks. Just one question - is "PDC" an acronym for something that I am going to kick myself when it is made clear, or something in its own right?

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2010, 12:16:04 PM »

Pretty Damn Cosmic....

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
SymonC

« Reply #138 on: February 01, 2010, 04:15:29 PM »

Purchased 3 tickets for Tunbridge Wells on 12th Feb.

Only 13 seats left according to the theatre's website!
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2010, 04:35:35 PM »

How long is the show including the support? Trying to sort trains to and from Harrogate for Wednesday.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: