TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:29:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ex Dave Pegg Vanden bass for sale  (Read 15014 times)
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 10:16:44 PM »

Toby, you will likely need to provide provenance that it belonged to Peggy if you hope to get that price.

I'm sorry, but how the **** does that make any difference Huh Undecided  I know I'm not well, but... Roll Eyes

It's a nice bass.  It may have residue of Pegg on it.

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 10:54:09 PM »

Toby, you will likely need to provide provenance that it belonged to Peggy if you hope to get that price.

I'm sorry, but how the **** does that make any difference Huh Undecided  I know I'm not well, but... Roll Eyes

It's a nice bass.  It may have residue of Pegg on it.
I was thinking about collectors ... I have no idea how much such a bass is worth, but if its prices was based on the fact that it had been owned/played by Peggy, then provenance is crucial, isn't it?
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 09:08:42 AM »

Perhaps, were it once Keith Richards' or Dave Gilmour's.  Provenance should be easy to come by, email the office, Maart confirmed the history of my bit of FC memorabilia no problems.  I do doubt it'd have much impact on selling price though.

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 09:19:35 AM »

Perhaps, were it once Keith Richards' or Dave Gilmour's.  Provenance should be easy to come by, email the office, Maart confirmed the history of my bit of FC memorabilia no problems.  I do doubt it'd have much impact on selling price though.

I'm not sure about that...at the very least I would have thought it would make it easier to sell, and should maximise it's value in an auction setting, which in the current marketplace can only be a good thing.  A decent eBay listing is certainly the way to go.  I'd suggest you need better photos though...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 11:23:48 AM »

I emailed Peggy, telling him of this thread, this was his reply;

Hi Martin, yes that was my bass and is a very nice instrument and worth £900.00 at least If you can confirm on the site for me that would be great. cheers, Peggy
Steve with the black dog
Your fox is male
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: The rainy Lake District

So little time, so much to do

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2009, 10:39:53 PM »

I'm not convinced that ownership by noted musicians makes that much difference to the price.  Perhaps if they are dead rock stars with global cult followings, but not generally.

For example, I was interested in a 1990s Reissue Fender Hot Rod Deville in a local music shop.  Jeff Beck had owned it and gigged it - he gave it and a ES335 to his roadie.  When the roadie passed away his widow gave them to the shop to sell.  They wouldn't take less than £1600 for the amp.  You could pick them up at the time for around £700.  Oddly when I plugged in the guitar I didn't sound like Jeff Beck Grin

I ended up buying a Hot Rod Deluxe for £400 - not quite in the same league, but certainly not £1200 less.  I still don't sound like Jeff Beck, but I've a little more cash in the back pocket Smiley

They had the Deville in the shop for years.

I think the collectable bit makes a difference if the guitar or amp is collectable without the celebrity provenance - the celeb bit then will add to an already sought after bit of kit.

A simple life, voluntarily chosen, can be a source of strength.
Neil Morrell
Candlestick in the Library
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: St Helens, Lancs

Be careful Mr President - I think he's drunkkk!

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 12:07:53 AM »

Having purchased a 4 String Fretless a few years ago, would love a 5 String.  Wouldn't have to keep swapping so much then.  But there again you can't use fretless for everything.  And sadly, I'm totally broke at the moment.

'Tis a lovely looking bass though, and having looked at Mike Vanden's website, have no doubts that £900 is a reasonable price to ask.

No longer active on TAW.  Cheers Y'all!!
tobesvw
n3wb

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 07:18:53 AM »

I guess some people like collecting instruments because of their potential provenance, some because they play well or look good. I guess by posting on this site I'm just trying to appeal to all comers!

Thanks for all of your comments though, and I agree it's a lovely looking guitar even if I'm not a musician
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don“t mention the war

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 09:59:58 AM »

I know a guy in Italy, who collects all kinds of instruments, amps, albums, photos, .... from more or less famous musicians. His house is completely stuffed with everything and I'm sure he would like to pay some good money for the bass.
So contact the Itullians (Jethro Tull fan club) and spread the news that it is on sale
http://www.itullians.com
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 10:11:22 AM »

Just spoke to Peggy about the bass. He said it was made for him as a one off and was used on the Tull albums. He can't remember if he had a beared at the time though, Smiley but said it's worth a fortune!
Hi Ulla Kiss

C x

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
ollythedolly
Grownup
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

One more time with feeling

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 09:54:46 PM »

Just spoke to Peggy about the bass. He said it was made for him as a one off and was used on the Tull albums. He can't remember if he had a beared at the time though, Smiley but said it's worth a fortune!
Hi Ulla Kiss

C x

He not want it back then?  Wink Tongue
tobesvw
n3wb

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2009, 12:33:24 PM »

This has now sold. Thanks for all the posts and comments
Kurt

Loc: New Castle , Colorado

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 04:20:55 AM »

I wish I had the bass that he used on Bryter Layter that he sold awhile back.

City lights don't shine,they glare
and your music doesn't speak,it swears
and in your streets,the ghosts have forgotten why they're there

Lindisfarne-City Song
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: