TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 20, 2024, 10:47:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WinTour 2009 Reports and Photos  (Read 115549 times)
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #220 on: March 09, 2009, 02:58:20 PM »

And another thing, Doctor of Physick was the highlight for me.

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #221 on: March 09, 2009, 03:22:46 PM »

We’ve seen FC twice on the Wintour this year, St Albans and Brum.

We were very disappointed by the sound quality at St Albans – the drums and base were mixed too high (and actually on the verge of being too loud in an absolute sense, too), and the vocals and solo instruments too low. We were in the middle of the third row, where we’ve been for this gig for the last several years, and not had a problem with the sound for a very long time. Nevertheless the set-list was very much to our taste, and the playing excellent (as far as we could tell, the balance notwithstanding). We were not treated to the full Nichol and Cool set, either, as a result of Phil’s indisposition on the night.

So it was with some trepidation that we set off for Brum on Saturday, hoping for something better.

Well, we shouldn’t have worried!

As others have already posted, it was a great gig, one of the best I’ve been to, N & C were fun, musically and comedically, Phil apparently now fully back on-form (as confirmed by a quick chat in the interval).

The FC set was, again, a superb and balanced choice, from a good historical range of the back-catalogue; it was especially good to hear Lord M and Doctor of Physick, neither of which I can recall hearing them play live before.

And the sound was excellent (from the middle of the third row), so all disappointment of the St Albans gig rapidly faded away.

The guys were their usual friendly selves after, too. Apparently Peggy’s shirt was a gift from his daughter, and Gerry’s washboard is a genuine musical one (from Hobgoblin) rather than a converted laundry item!

Hertford acoustic in May is next on the list.

DC
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #222 on: March 09, 2009, 03:48:49 PM »

The FC set was, again, a superb and balanced choice, from a good historical range of the back-catalogue; it was especially good to hear Lord M and Doctor of Physick, neither of which I can recall hearing them play live before.

And the sound was excellent (from the middle of the third row), so all disappointment of the St Albans gig rapidly faded away.

DC

Then apparentlly Dr Clive, you sat directly in front of me.  If I kicked the back of your chair I do offer sincere aplogies. Wink

Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #223 on: March 09, 2009, 05:06:36 PM »

DC

Then apparentlly Dr Clive, you sat directly in front of me.  If I kicked the back of your chair I do offer sincere aplogies. Wink

If you did, I was far too immersed in the music to notice, and in any case would have been far too polite to mention it!  Smiley

DC
Woodpecker

Loc: Western Edge of The Black Country

« Reply #224 on: March 09, 2009, 07:57:43 PM »

I'm so surprised to read comments about poor sound balance at other venues, Saturday's show seemed one of the best in terms of sound quality I've heard.

My last venture to the Town hall was too see Jack Bruce a couple of months ago,  I sat in row three and the reverb from the hall was so great I couldn't hear what he was saying even between numbers.  He commented that the hall's redesign had 'almost' sorted things out!

On Saturday we sat three rows from the back and heard every instrument clearly at all times, thought the balance and separation of instruments was brilliant.  (As has been said elsewhere it's always good to sit near the sound desk!) So someone must have been doing thir job well.

Loved the choice of numbers played and the band seemed really slick in the best possible sense.  Can't add much to the above - I agree with all the positive comments.  I understand that, emotionally speaking, getting all the guests on stage for MOTL is important but it often sounds a bit of a blur - Ken Nicols contribution really added to the effect. A great night out.

Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come.    Chinese proverb.
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #225 on: March 09, 2009, 09:54:56 PM »

Well...

The end of another spectacular tour. But Another one will start in 2 months so that's ok!

Imponderable Joy
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #226 on: March 10, 2009, 10:39:25 AM »

.... to be fair to simon and the chaps they did something kind for a TAWer who could not make the gig. All will be revealed in due course.

Well it's revelation time....

The postman has just dropped a card through the letterbox....  with messages from everyone in Fairport Roll Eyes Grin

I am speechless...  Cool

... and delighted...  Cool

... and .. well I dunno... just amazed!

A huge thank you to my good friend that organised it and to The Chaps for being so kind  Kiss Kiss

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #227 on: March 10, 2009, 10:52:49 AM »

.... to be fair to simon and the chaps they did something kind for a TAWer who could not make the gig. All will be revealed in due course.

The postman has just dropped a card through the letterbox....  with messages from everyone in Fairport Roll Eyes Grin

I am speechless...  Cool

A huge thank you to my good friend that organised it and to The Chaps for being so kind  Kiss Kiss

I would have loved to have seen the smile on your face, so glad it made you happy.
C xxx

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #228 on: March 10, 2009, 11:10:58 AM »

Great stuff Jen and well done to an esteemed member of the board!  Fez Fez Fez Fez Grin Grin

Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #229 on: March 10, 2009, 11:17:21 AM »

The smile is still there Red Shoes...  Grin Grin

... yes indeed huge thanks to the main 'conspirator' and accomplice!! Kiss Kiss

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #230 on: March 10, 2009, 11:54:19 AM »

I am speechless...  Cool

A huge thank you to my good friend that organised it and to The Chaps for being so kind  

Which is why we love this band....isn't it?  How luverley.... Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
AngieH
I shall be in a box

« Reply #231 on: March 10, 2009, 12:56:25 PM »

That's brilliant Amethyst!  What fun.

It reminds me of a day 15 years ago; the phone at work rang and the receptionist said "It's somebody called Dave Pegg for you Angie".

I just stood staring at her in disbelief.  

It was our Silver Wedding anniversary, we were having a party that night, and seeing Fairport locally (in Market Deeping) the next evening.  Unbeknown to me, my husband had sent an party invitation to the Chaps. Peggy was ringing to say they were sorry they wouldn't be in the area until the next day, but to go and meet them at the gig.  Which we did of course, and they were lovely.

I'm trying to remember which football shirt Simon was wearing...it was a South American one.  (There was a World Cup on at the time)
Jack Westwood

Loc: Glasgow

« Reply #232 on: March 10, 2009, 01:06:57 PM »

Have a squint here.....

http://gallery.me.com/jackwestwood59#100086

We had an argument the other night - all because she said I didn't open the car door for her.  She said I panicked and swam out my side first....
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #233 on: March 10, 2009, 01:45:01 PM »

Nice!

Peggy's got an old (although not looking it) '94 Cropredy top on.  Still about my favourite design.....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #234 on: March 10, 2009, 06:23:52 PM »

The smile is still there Red Shoes...  Grin

... yes indeed huge thanks to the main 'conspirator' and accomplice!! Kiss Kiss

Grin Grin Grin - trust you're feeling better now, and the coughing is subsiding.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #235 on: March 10, 2009, 07:18:11 PM »

Much better.. but still coughing  Sad

Gilp

Loc: Dumfries,Scotland

« Reply #236 on: March 17, 2009, 05:53:45 PM »

Late with this because my computer died the night of The Convention in Dumfries....but I have to say that it was wonderful beyond my expectation. Ken and Phil were a great opener....and Phil gave me a serious fright when,with no discernible muscle twitch he BECAME George Dubbya Bush before my eyes!
Didn't know whether to applaud or strangle him.
The interval was a really mellow Merlot time and I found myself chatting to Simon and we had shared memories of Muswell Hill/Crouch End way back when.
I told him of that dastardlt knaqve Swarbrick selling me a copy of Full House.......and 'forgetting' to leave the acual record inside the cover.
20 Minutes into the second half Peggy announces the 'SAwarb story and,amazingly, dedicates Dr.Physik to me..........these people are very very special and it is to my sadness today that they were not recording Dumfries that night...but it's to my great gladness that they were in Dumfries that night and it is to my great madness that I probably won't make Cropredy this year.
But.......they are very special people to me..all of them,what long chats we had post show over wines.
As they all say on my signed Programme.LOVE....and yes its reciprocal.
Thank You Guys,
Jimmy Gilp.

He not busy being born is busy dying.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: