TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:54:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WinTour 2009 Reports and Photos  (Read 115881 times)
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« on: January 28, 2009, 07:27:56 PM »

Please post your reports on the 2009 winter tour this topic.

Anything that you might think will spoil any surprises please use the 'Spoiler' tag. It's the yellow and black 'radioactive' button above where you write a reply. You click on it and write between the tags.
Like this:

Photos much be attached using the Additional Options menu below.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 08:50:03 AM »

Well, a good solid start to the 2009 Wintour, with a couple of surprises.  The Roses was pretty full - I reckon no more than 20 empty seats?

As per usual, Ric stolled on to introduce Ken Nicol & Phil Cool, who proceeded to entertain us together & alone, warming us up nicely for the entrance of the chaps to accompany the final N&C song, which sounded slightly tentative in places, but I guess that's down to being the first night of the tour.

Exit stage left Ken & Phil, and off we went on a journey through the recorded works of FC covering L&L up to Sense of Occasion.  The chaps were on good form and in their usual good humour throughout, looked fresh & well, Simon has trimmed back the Ronnie Drew beard & played a fair amount of electric.
The sound was pretty good - though I'd have liked a little more volume on the rockier songs (and a little less echo/reverb on Chris' mic), and some of the onstage banter was drowned out by the applause - remind me to get a seat nearer the front next time, not on the back row!

If you don't want to know what was played - don't press the spoiler button...

I couldn't hang around after the show, so missed the chance of chatting to the chaps, & also the chance of meeting Jules (sorry!).  

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable evening - I'm sure as the tour progresses, the one or two tentative moments will be ironed out & the performances will be even stronger.

Flobbadob!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 09:14:27 AM »

Sorry I missed you too, Paul.

Pretty much agree with everything you wrote.  Especially about needing to turn up a little on the rock numbers.  Simon's electric is so quiet that his acoustic guitar makes a louder sound!

But everything else I have to add is positive.  They were by turns entertaining, moving, beautiful and bloody funny.  Peggy in particular was on fine comedic form - I was in stitches at his antics.

I disagree with Paul about the amount of reverb on Chris's mic - I think it worked a treat on both, uh, a certain song from L&L and a certain song from BL.  Both performances brought me to tears - especially when Simon joined in on harmonies on the latter.

In fact I'd say Chris was the man of the match, not only for the above two standouts, but also his terrific two new songs - the encore in particular was absolutely terrific.  And Simon's introduction as he stood surrounded by ukes and a washboard was priceless - "That it should come to this!" he said.  Also a superb version of the VW bus song with great Beatlesque harmonies from Simon and Peggy.  Chris shone from beginning to end.

Peggy's backing vocals were top notch, and his grin was a mile wide all night.  Simon look subdued and very serious most of the night - maybe John Martyn was on his mind?  No mention made of JM, which surprised me.  Maybe they wanted to keep the atmosphere 'up'.  And 'up' it was - they put a great big smile on my face with new songs and old chestnuts alike.  What a bloody good night out!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:05:06 AM »

Just a quick mention for the Sgt Pepper quote & minor chord ending of the VW song.

And I spotted Ric threw in a few bars of "I'll go & 'list for a sailor" into a song intro - but I won't say which song...

Jules is right, the 2 songs he mentioned were superb with the reverb/echo, perhaps it was the acoustics and/or where I was sat, but I kept getting sibilance from Chris' vocals - especially after the half-time break. But that was the only minor gripe from "a bloody good night out" - total agreement with Jules there!

Flobbadob!
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 11:04:32 AM »

Very difficult to add anything to the above. Perhaps not as many surprises as the first night of last years Wintour, but the "new" songs (particularly the Excalibur choice) were well up to the standard of the favourites and apart from the odd technical glitch (both Mr Nicol's having guitar issues!) the performances were great. From a quick chat with Simon afterwards, I'd say his serious look was probably down to "first-night-of-the-tour-itis", there were certainly some flashes of the usual Nicol wit and all the chaps became visibly more relaxed as they worked through the set.

Terrific night out - the encore was worth the price of admssion alone!!

S&J
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 11:32:50 AM »

It would be a surprise if they weren't nervous. I suspect that they are carrying a fair bit of emotional baggage from the last few weeks.
siffer

Loc: Camborne Cornwall

Also answers to David

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 09:30:01 AM »

Looking forward to Truro this evening.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 11:15:33 AM »

I wish they were coming to South Wales - WSM is just that bit too far, although annoyingly I can see it across the channel as clear as anything!! Maybe a few of us could go by RIB....

Never mind we'll see them in August  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 02:40:52 PM »

KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 06:18:18 PM »

I've been waiting for FC to do...  ....for 2 years  Shocked Shocked

Imponderable Joy
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 12:16:49 PM »

Any photos anyone?

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 12:16:59 PM »

What does the Wintour T-Shirt look like?

Imponderable Joy
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 08:41:05 AM »

Black, with the large FC logo in white across the top, and drawings in blue of various instruments on the font.  List of tour dates on the back.  Rather tasteful!

Flobbadob!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 12:31:56 PM »

Black, with the large FC logo in white across the top, and drawings in blue of various instruments on the font.  List of tour dates on the back.  Rather tasteful!

You're not suggesting some of them have been a bit garish, are you?
 Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 11:59:38 AM »

How was it last night? Reports PLEASE  Kiss
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 09:33:37 AM »

Tremendous performance from FC at the Anvil last night, where the chaps gave a first airing to set list 2

Phil & Ken got the evening off to an entertaining start, Ken's guitar playing is wonderful and Phil had the audience in stitches.

The Anvil is blessed with fantastic acoustics and last night the sound coming from the stage was just delicious.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 10:39:08 AM »

...where the chaps gave a first airing to set list 2

Pray, tell...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 11:26:47 AM »

Ohh they did that last year..  wonder if I'll get to hear both sets this time round  Cool

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 05:02:56 PM »

The Anvil is blessed with fantastic acoustics and last night the sound coming from the stage was just delicious.

Martin, I'd be interested to know where you were sitting!

I have to say that although I still enjoyed the show, the sound was really not good, and not what I expect from the Anvil. Everything was too loud (I'm not just beeing a wuss, I hope, but it actually hurt my ears!) I've got used to being able to hear lyrics at Fairport concerts, but that was not always possible last night.
For the second half we went and sat near the back, where there were some empty seats; it was not so deafening there, but still the balance between voices and instruments seemed out of kilter on the louder songs. The quieter ones were fine.

I know nothing technical about balancing sound whatsoever, nor am I by nature the complaining type, but I just couldn't believe that someone else who was there had made a positive comment about the one thing that was a negative for me. Where would you advise is the best place to sit at the Anvil in future?
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 07:10:13 PM »

Hmmmm.....and I say the show I heard was too quiet.  Difference in venues, the band, or the audience member's hearing, I wonder........?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: