TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:26:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 732824 times)
Shelley
satisfactory with some very good aspects
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Manchester

Give me some dots to follow and I'll be fine!

« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2009, 08:07:47 AM »

except the manchester contingent Roll Eyes

Oi!

Welcome Shankly - I think you'll enjoy being part of this community!

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
Sandi

« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2009, 02:54:32 PM »

Hello everyone. I am going to attempt to answer the questions posed by Sir Robert. Here goes:

1. Who are you and where are you from?
I am Sandra and I am originally from Bolton but now live in Stockport.

2.  What made you join Talkawhile?
I have been coming onto the site for about 12 months and thought it about time that I did something more positive. You all seem so friendly(she says hopefully).

3.  What do you know of F.C. and Cropredy?
Fairport are one of my favourite bands and I went to Cropredy in 2007. A brilliant time was had.

4.  What kind of music do you like?
I love all kinds of folk music. Some of my favourite bands are: Fairport, Bellowhead, Show of Hands, Seth Lakeman, Rachel Unthank. I also have a long standing love of Elvis Costello and David Bowie.

5.What was the last gig you attended. What was it like?
Under One Sky at the Lowry in Salford. They were unbelievably brilliant.

6.  What was the last c.d. you bought. Would you recommend it?
Before the Ruin by Drever, McCusker, Woomble.  I most certainly would.

7.  Tonight Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Sandy Denny and I will sing Farewell Farewell. And hope that God forgives me for trashing a beautiful song. Starts warbling...

Thanks for reading. Until next time...
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2009, 04:44:56 PM »

except the manchester contingent Roll Eyes

You speak fer yersen young man!

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Steve with the black dog
Your fox is male
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: The rainy Lake District

So little time, so much to do

« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2009, 11:46:43 PM »

Hello everyone. I am going to attempt to answer the questions posed by Sir Robert. Here goes:

1. Who are you and where are you from?
I am Sandra and I am originally from Bolton but now live in Stockport.

2.  What made you join Talkawhile?
I have been coming onto the site for about 12 months and thought it about time that I did something more positive. You all seem so friendly(she says hopefully).

3.  What do you know of F.C. and Cropredy?
Fairport are one of my favourite bands and I went to Cropredy in 2007. A brilliant time was had.

4.  What kind of music do you like?
I love all kinds of folk music. Some of my favourite bands are: Fairport, Bellowhead, Show of Hands, Seth Lakeman, Rachel Unthank. I also have a long standing love of Elvis Costello and David Bowie.

5.What was the last gig you attended. What was it like?
Under One Sky at the Lowry in Salford. They were unbelievably brilliant.

6.  What was the last c.d. you bought. Would you recommend it?
Before the Ruin by Drever, McCusker, Woomble.  I most certainly would.

7.  Tonight Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Sandy Denny and I will sing Farewell Farewell. And hope that God forgives me for trashing a beautiful song. Starts warbling...

Thanks for reading. Until next time...

Welcome Sandi,

2007 was the hot Cropredy!  Shame you were unable to go in 2008 to compare and contrast the weather Grin

A simple life, voluntarily chosen, can be a source of strength.
Sandi

« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2009, 10:42:51 AM »

Thanks for the welcome.
Not only did I miss the bad weather at Cropredy last year, we went to Warwick instead and it was hotter than Cropredy the year before. Phew!
Hoping for more of the same at Shrewsbury this year. Smiley
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2009, 01:32:49 PM »

Please come to Cropredy this year Sandi - we could do with guaranteed sun!   Wink
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2009, 01:55:39 PM »

4. What kind of music do you like?
I'm also a huge fan of Richard Thompson. On the folky scene I like Show of Hands (who I also saw in Southport recently), Seth Lakeman and Cara Dillon (I hope to expand my horizons in this field).

A man with good taste! I'm a fan of all the above 4 and can highly recommend all the solo releases by Seth and Cara as well as the two albums by Sean Lakeman and Kathryn Roberts. I saw Steve Knightley in Lancaster a few weeks back and went down to Salford in January to see RT doing his 1000 years of Popular Music.

I nearly typed Manchester there but am currently reading Pies & Prejudice by Stuart Maconie so have learned that Salford is quite separate from Manchester!

Smiley

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Sandi

« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2009, 02:45:35 PM »

"Please come to Cropredy this year Sandi - we could do with guaranteed sun! "  

If only I could. So many festivals so little money!
I would go to one each weekend if poss, but have to pick and choose. I have heard good things about Shrewsbury so this is the one for us this year. Still maybe if I win the lottery....dreams on.

By the way how do you insert a previous post in blue? Or should I be asking this in the new members bit?
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2009, 02:49:22 PM »

I would go to one each weekend if poss, but have to pick and choose. I have heard good things about Shrewsbury so this is the one for us this year. Still maybe if I win the lottery....dreams on.

By the way how do you insert a previous post in blue? Or should I be asking this in the new members bit?

use the quote button at the top right of each post.

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2009, 03:17:46 PM »

and then write your response after the '[/quote]' bit, preferably on the next line Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Sandi

« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2009, 06:10:23 PM »

let's see if this works.

and then write your response after the '
' bit, preferably on the next line Grin
[/quote]
Sandi

« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2009, 06:12:28 PM »

sorry just testing as you can see I'm a bit of an amateur at this. Still it nearly worked.
Thanks Dave and Jude.  Grin
Viv G

« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2009, 12:19:12 PM »

Hi there, I have just registered here and been pointed in the right direction to find this page so shall have a go at answering the questions:-)

Now - can I trouble you to answer a few questions, when you have the inclination, time and patience.  You can answer some, all or none of them, but we look forward to hearing from you soon.

1.   Who are you and where are you from?
My name is Viv and I live in NE Hampshire

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?
Been reading the boards for a while and thought it time I joined in, plus I also wondered if it would help me see the pictures in attachments as so far I can't open any

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?
Been following Fairport since I met my husband in 1972.He was a fan so I thought I'd better show an interest so as to make him like me;-) it worked and I am now also a Fairport addict....
Been going to Croppers since 1985 and only missed a couple in all that time :-)

4.   What kind of music do you like?
Almost all but especially folk. Not keen on jazz

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
TCT at Albert Hall.It was brill!

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?
Fairport's latest from Cropredy 2008[ well strictly speaking I didn't buy it- son gave us it as a pressie] Yes I would highly recommend it

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. (name of singer) and I will
            sing:  ' ................................'   (name of song)
ermmmmmmmmm.......................you really wouldn't want to hear me sing!!!!! lol!!! but if I had to I'd be Anna Ryder doing Sailing Boat

Viv
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2009, 12:23:30 PM »

Hi Viv,
oh, you like annA´s "Sailing Boat"? Very good taste  Kiss
Welcome in here.
Viv G

« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2009, 06:37:23 PM »

thanks Johanna:-)
Yep I like all of Anna's stuff.
I used to really like Hugh and Tony Williams too but they don't play any more:-(
Pam FC
herby biscuits

Loc: Edinburgh

« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2009, 02:21:06 PM »

Howdy to all.  I guess since I'm banging on about Nik K on the Croppers board I better do this before I'm parked in an 80's throw back pigeon hole  Grin

1.   Who are you and where are you from? I'm Pam and I'm a lady of the fair city of Liverpool now parked up in Edinburgh in exile.

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?  I joined in 2005 when I first went to Cropredy and got great help and tips from many of you.  I've joined again as I emerge from a semi-reclusive state to tread the cowfield again - hopefully I'll stay awhile this time  Smiley

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?  First heard FC in the early 90s when a friend introduced me to Liege & Lief because she waS SICK OF HEARING THE SAME sTEELEYE ALBUM OVER AND OVER AGAIN.  wENT TO cROPREDY (oops!) in 2005 because I could.

4.   What kind of music do you like? Lots.  I'm not an encyclopaedia by any stretch, I know what I like.  Top artists for me outside of folk are Nina Simone, Kate Bush, They Might be Giants, Joan Armitrading, Dolly Parton, Neil Diamond, Johnny Cash, The Beatles, Caparezza (italian hiphop), XTC, Stranglers, loving The Fleet Foxes and Noah and The Whale at the moment.  

In the folk genre I just LOVE Steeleye - they were my first folk experience, I'm not ashamed to tell you when either... Lying back in a dentist's chair getting a root canal job done and Jimmy Young played Padstow - AMAZING!  Pain and pleasure has never been so extreme [no lewdness required!  Grin ]. Also love Barely Works, Ralph McTell, Bert Jansch, Pentangle, Rock Salt and Nails, SalsaCeltica to name a few.  I'm no good at classifying types of artists these are just a few of my most played albums!

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?  I have the luxury of the Edinburgh Festival on the doorstep.  So we went to Cambridge Folk Fest. and drove back to Edinburgh to Bert Jansch at St Brides.  The Jansch gig was strange, haunting sound in great venue but no connection to the audience at all, good but mysterious would sum it up for me.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?  Extended Best of John Lennon.  If you like John Lennon it is a one stop shop  Grin  If you don't then don't buy it.  Though it is only a fiver  Undecided

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Dolly Parton and I will
            sing: Matty Groves. I'd love to see that!

I feel like a lie down now  Grin
Steve
Max Headroom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sussex

« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2009, 02:50:36 PM »

Welcome Pam FC.  Grin
James SftBH
Tertiary Donna
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Posh North Essex

Freedom is not just a word; it is an activity.

« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2009, 01:09:02 AM »

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Dolly Parton and I will
            sing: Matty Groves. I'd love to see that!

That's pure genius!

Always trust your cape.
www.songsfromthebluehouse.com
Pam FC
herby biscuits

Loc: Edinburgh

« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2009, 05:12:58 PM »

It was that or Nina Simone singing Alison Gross.  BUt I thought I'd go for one that could still happen!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2009, 05:55:10 PM »

has Dolly never done "Shady Grove"?

The Dude abides
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: