TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:11:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726411 times)
emmak
n3wb

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2009, 05:56:16 PM »

1.   Who are you and where are you from?
I'm Emma. I'm from Holland and now live in the US via the UK.

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?
What made me join? Initially to use the search function Smiley

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?
Nothing!

4.   What kind of music do you like?
Folk! Also Rufus Wainwright, Dave Matthews, Kaiser Chiefs, Mika, vintage Elton John, Simon & Garfunkel, etc.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
It was actually a benefit Christmas concert by several Broadway performers (I'm a huge theatre fan). It was fantastic!

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?
I bought "Lusignac" and "Knock John" by Chris Wood and Andy Cutting over the weekend in London. Haven't listened yet, it's been crazy with work and jetlag. Before those I bought "Sweet Bells" by Kate Rusby and would definitely recommend it.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. (name of singer) and I will
            sing:  ' ................................'   (name of song)

Ok, let's not do all time favourite, let's do current favourite.

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Chris Wood and I will
            sing:  'When First I Came to Caledonia'
Geetee (Gareth)
If I played fiddle instead of squeezebox I'd be smiling!

Loc: Moulton

« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2009, 04:55:53 PM »

A very warm welcome to you, new friend.  I understand from our Meeter and Greeter, the lovely Jude, that you are a person of good taste, impeccable manners and an interest in some or all things Talkawhilish.  Excellent news!  Hoorah, hoorah.

My name is Sir Robert Peel.  I am a Global Moderator of this fine debating chamber and talking shop.  I am also an elder statesman of some influence, commanding considerable respect in those who don’t know me very well.  

Put your favourite CD on the gramophone player, kick off your shoes and make yourself comfortable.  
(Not that comfortable!  Shocked  Please cover yourself up by putting on the dressing gown and slippers provided.  Embarrassed)

Now - can I trouble you to answer a few questions, when you have the inclination, time and patience.  You can answer some, all or none of them, but we look forward to hearing from you soon.

1.   Who are you and where are you from? GT from Moulton Northants

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?       To catch up with some old mates I've not seen for a while

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?     Love it best festival out there on and off the stage

4.   What kind of music do you like?     Anything that is played by real people on real instruments

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?     That would be Navaro at st Albans last Saturday.Not a great sound but a great gig none the less they are fab!

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?    Sadly that would be some Christmas songs as I had the Family over this year.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. (name of singer) and I will
            sing:  ' ................................'   (name of song)   I am really sorry but I don't sing could give you a tune though.I've done a bit of bar work so maybe I could help out there instead?

Thanks awfully.   Fez

Sir Robert Peel
220 years
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2009, 12:54:21 AM »

- or perhaps you play and we'll dance?  Wink
Good to have some music in the bar!
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2009, 06:00:15 PM »

Who am I?   My name is David, I'm 59 years young and am originally from Castleford, Yorkshire. Lived 28 years just outside Batley, and then made the move to Poitou Charente, France. Been here just over 4 years and almost love the place to bits. We live well out in the country, no street lights and see the best ever free nightly show of the Milky Way. Except when it's cloudy that is...

Joining Talk Awhile, I'm not too proud to namedrop. Personal recommendation from Simon Nicol and Dave Pegg. OK, truth is I visited the Fairport site and asked a question about an old LP I have. They both replied saying they couldn't help me, but that you very good guys here might just be able to. And now I've had a welcome email from Judy,i I am sooooo well made up...

What do I know. Of Fairports, I'm no nerd, but have been a fan since about 1967. I have all the old LPs up to Full House, so music-wise, know most songs off by heart. Later releases I don't know nearly as well. Cropredy is about as famous as a festival gets. To date, it's one I haven't been to, but my little bro told me it is quite the best. I have many friends who have been and made the same high recommendations. One day that will change, and maybe I can meet up with some of you guys for a jar and a jah.

Music, well, you name it and there is a good chance I will like it. But not Michael Bolton, or that bl**dy awful song that Whitney Spewston sings from The Bodyguard... 60s stuff is a speciality, big big Beatles fan. Just adore Folk Music. In the bowels of my LPs/Tapes/CDs lies Floyd, CSNY, Joni, Stevie, Moby Grape, Beethoven, Scott Walker (Tilt), Tubes, Yes, SAHB, Queen, Cliff (OK, they belong to my wife), Tina, S + G, Nick Drake first time round, Free, Rollins Band plus a cast of many many more. I even own an LP by some group called Continuum, and it's so bad that even now, after owning it for near on 40 years, I have yet to listen to it the whole way through 'cos it's so bad. Last, and most definitely not least, Fairport Convention. But you knew that didn't you?

Last music I attended was the Music Festival 2008 in our village. It's a small village boasting just over 800 people, but come 21st June, we get invaded by about 5000 souls of all ages. All the music is from local bands of varying inexperience, but I have to say that these Frenchies certainly know how to party... What was it like, come and see, but be prepared for a good share of mediocrity, and the odd gem. But for fun, top marks

Last CD was Joe Cocker's No Ordinary World. I can recommend, as I no longer buy rubbish. I cant afford to thanks to this credit crunch...

I will sing, "Over The Hill And Far Away", just as I am regularly requested to do by my wife...

Thanks for staying awake...

David

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Cakey

Loc: Lincolnshire

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2009, 03:03:51 PM »

Hello to all readers.

I have been directed here by Jude who has steered me from the dark toward the light (and I don't mean bitter to lager).

I actually joined in October 2008 but failed to read the instructions. SLAP!!! I am fairly new to this type of thing. Having been brought up in the north east by a pack of wild pit ponies who were lacking in computer skills I was not exposed to forums other than the ruined ones that the Romans left behind in Hexam, so you could say 'I am not forum street'. Although I did get some good stones from the Roman one for a rockery.

I play the mandolin, guitar, cittern, mandola and banjo - although I have got some ointment from the doctor for the banjo and he said if I rub it on twice a day it will eventually vanish and I won't be embarassed anymore in public.I turn up to festivals with four other lads who also like folk/rock in the guise of Something Nasty in the Woodshed. You think I have difficulty with the banjo, Bazza  the piper may need surgery to remove the drones as medical professionals fear it has gone beyond less intrusive medical techniques.I enjoy reading the various threads and look forward to putting on my 'speedo's' and diving in.

Cheers

Cakey

There are no eels in my wigwam
Cakey

Loc: Lincolnshire

« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2009, 03:10:34 PM »

Apologies, I forgot to answer the questions I was so excited.

Obviously, I like Fairport and I have seen them numerous times but I have never been to Cropredy. Maybe this year I will take the plunge.

And....................

Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Charlie Drake and I will
            sing:  ' Like a virgin'  

There are no eels in my wigwam
tony dean

Loc: Derbyshire uk

« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2009, 11:18:44 PM »

High all,
          My name is Tony and I am originally from Manchester  Cheesy although I have lived in Derbyshire  Undecided for the last 15 years. I am a full time musician along with my partner Una in a duo called No Fixed Abode.

I joined Talkawhile as I recognised some of the members and I have been meaning to join for some time……….

It's a small world I am well aware of Fairport and we live not to far away from Ashley Hutchings…..indeed Ashley played bass for us on our album Clearwater. Our apologies to Ashley for miss spelling his name in the credits!!!!!!.

We also know Ian Cutler, Tom Leary and just this weekend supported Kevin Dempsey and Peter Knight at the Red Lion Folk Club Birmingham , would love to play at Cropredy but guess so would the man and his dog. Not been to Cropredy as we are out performing when it is on but a journalist friend of ours John O’Regan says it is a great festival and I have seen great you tube footage.

Raised on everything….. from Felix Mendelssohn to Kate bush, from Deep Purple to Dougie Maclean……… basically open minded but pushing my limits with punk and rap music

Normally out gigging so don’t get a chance to see to many artists and the festivals we go to are the ones we are performing at ……did find time to see Show of Hands at Cromer last year. We do a lot of support slots so we do get to see a number of artists from Dr Feelgood to Dick Gaughan, from Wizz Jones to the Animals so I guess we get the perks of seeing great music close up and having a drink with them afterwards.

The last CD I bought was Gordon Lightfoots greatest hits. Love his music and yes I would recommend the album to anyone.

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Jack Hudson and I will sing Driftwood and nails

Well I hope I appear "windswept and interesting enough"

Till the next time Tony

Tony and Una
No Fixed Abode
www.myspace.com/musicnfa
If you want to see what we look like go to this youtube link and have a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q1GKE5JVHw
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2009, 12:37:22 AM »

Step this way, new members.  Sherry and nibbles will be served on the verandah as soon as it's stopped snowing.  You are most welcome.  We simply thrive on new people - especially those with impeccable taste, good mannners and an interesting CD collection.

Crank up the volume and let's Karaoke!
Robert
n3wb

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2009, 01:06:44 PM »

Hello - seems to be the standard opening gambit!

I have just discovered this forum, via another with a link to stretched canines, so I am familiar with the ways and whiles of Sir Robert.

In answer to your time honoured questions, may I beg to answer as follows:. .

1.   Who are you and where are you from?
      I too am named Robert, but without any title.  I currently live in deepest darkest Berkshire, which can be considered a bit of a desert.  Originally from another place - Surrey.  (You don't have to be posh to come from there!)  My family come from Sussex, an area with which I have great affinity, so I am sort of from there.

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?
      I came across it by chance via another forum, see previous note at top of message.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?
      Not really that much, have the usual CD's Liege & Lief etc. but have never been to Cropredy, even though it is not that far away.

4.   What kind of music do you like?
      Folk, acoustic, world, rock, bluegrass, cajun/zydeco, country - will try anything once!

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
      SoH Spires & Beams at Marlborough - absolutely fantastic, very atmospheric!

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?
      Bought at about the same time 1 - Bruce Springsteen - Working On A Dream - probably one for die  hard Bruce fans & 2 - Chris Millington - Doubloons, Jewels & Ivory -  acoustic singer songwriter highly recommended.  (From the two extremes of the music industry, but I like narrative songs and both do (or have done in the past) very well).

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer - Bruce Springsteen and I will
            sing:  ' Racing In The Streets'"  A song of yearning and lost oppurtunities.

As I said in my first post, 'Having worked for a number of international and regional brewers in my time and have a fondness for a real pint,  I cannot wait to 'grow up' enough to get into the Corporation Arms!'

Robert
Stef
n3wb

« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2009, 10:12:18 PM »

1.   Who are you

Not again. Wish I’d know

and where are you from?

Hamburg. You know, Reeperbahn, St. Pauli, The Beatles, place Stuart Sutcliff died (went to the same art school as my mother). I absconded for several years.  Kings Heath around the corner from the Red Lion was one of the places I went to.

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

Trying to sell a ticket for Cropredy 2007 without bothering to go on ebay.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

Fairport where founded by The Beatles at their heyday.  They wanted to be in it but after seeing/hearing Richard Thompson playing the guitar George Harrison and John Lennon both voted against it.

Cropredy is a village in Oxfordshire with two pubs and one graveyard. One of pubs is not up to standards outside of the (very short) festival season. The graveyard is okay all year around.

4.   What kind of music do you like?

Nearly everything. I can positively exclude German-so-called-folk-music. If you’d have heard it you’d know what I mean. There is some very good
German folk around, though. If you want to know more please say so.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

A gig of Gang Loco. Excellent mix of Hard Rock with a pinch of Heavy Metal and a good dose of Ennio Morricone’s Italo Western Soundtracks (you know, bloke with a harmonica etc.).

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

SIA – Some People Have Real Problems. Yes. And I just bought tickets for her gig in Hamburg.

7.   Complete the following sentence:

Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer David Jones and I will sing: 'Amsterdam' (in English 'cause my French sucks) by Jacques Brel.  
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2009, 03:25:01 PM »

As a newbie here, I'd like to say hello and answer the standard questions...

1. Who are you and where are you from?
Peter Seddon, from Liverpool

2. What made you join Talkawhile?
I recently joined the Fairport Convention discussion list and commented that there didn't seem to be much discussion about Fairport Convention - I was advised that this forum was a good place for such stuff.

3. What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?
Quite a lot I suppose. I've been a Fairport fan of varying degrees since the early 70s when a friend played me 'Liege and Lief' and I've particularly followed RT and Sandy Denny since then, whilst also listening out for Fairport too. Surprisingly, I'd never seen them live until last Friday at Southport - I've seen that they play there regularly, but never managed to get to a gig, but they were absolutely brilliant. I met the band in the foyer afterwards and they were all so nice that it inspired me to get more involved in what they do - hence my joining this forum.
I've never been to Cropredy. I'd love to go, but I'd need to persuade my wife and kids to come too and I'm not sure I'd be succesful!

4. What kind of music do you like?
Lots of different stuff. My main listening  has been 'classic' rock, particularly Led Zeppelin. I'm also a huge fan of Richard Thompson. On the folky scene I like Show of Hands (who I also saw in Southport recently), Seth Lakeman and Cara Dillon (I hope to expand my horizons in this field). I've been getting into death/ black metal too - bands like Candlemass, Sabaton and Aman Amarth - there are also folk metal bands like Turisas, Korpiklaani and Cruachan who use traditional instruments in metal songs and are interesting - have you ever heard an accordian in a metal band?

5. What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended? What was it like?
Fairport Convention in Southport - 6th March 2009 - see above!

6. What was the last CD that you bought? Would you recommend it?
I bought the 2002 Cropredy CD at the gig. Yes, I would recommend it. Apart from that I've been listening to Jon Boden's 'Songs from the floodplain' which I really like on first listening. I'm sure it will grow on me too as I become more familiar with the songs.

7. Complete the following sentence:
I can't see myself ever saying such a thing as I have the worst voice you could imagine, however, in the spirit of the question...

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Robert Plant and I will
sing: 'Kashmir'
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2009, 03:28:54 PM »

Welcome!

Oooooh, I quite like the sound of a little Folk Metal...must investigate that lot.

2002 Cropredy?  Or 2008?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2009, 04:08:53 PM »

Welcome!

Oooooh, I quite like the sound of a little Folk Metal...must investigate that lot.

2002 Cropredy?  Or 2008?

If you like the folk metal, there's quite a few bands in the genre as well as those I've mentioned ... Skyclad, Ensiferum, The Meads of Asphodel etc...
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2009, 04:15:41 PM »

Oh yes, I know a few more around here who would share your enthusiasm for 'folk metal'! I think you will feel at home!  Smiley
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2009, 04:22:01 PM »

Lovely! Thank you very much
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »

Now I wonder which football team our new friend Shankly supports ? If my hunch is right, he has a kindred spirit on this forum, who answers to the name of Cocker Freeman.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2009, 06:03:44 PM »

I knew it! He's an Everton supporter, isn't he?  Grin

Hello Shankly welcome to da board as the kidz say  Roll Eyes

It is Everton, isn't it.....?    Undecided

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser