TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:11:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Unfashionable' or forgotten songs?  (Read 52082 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« on: February 21, 2007, 08:53:25 AM »

I was looking at the most played songs on my iPod the other day and realised that there are three Fairport songs up towards the top which rarely, if ever, get played live, and which don't seem to get mentioned on people's Cropredy or tour 'wish lists'.

So, is it just me who likes She's like the Swallow, Sailing Boat and The Islands?  Have they ever been played live - I certainly don't remember them from the album tours?

Are there other unfashionable or forgotten songs other people would like to see revived?  I must admit I'd like to hear the current line-up's take on Wizard of the Worldly Game some time too.

Over to you....

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 09:07:17 AM »

Sailing Boat was in the set for quite a few years after the album's release.
But I don't think I've ever heard She's Like The Swallow and The Islands played live. I agree, to me they are also among the better songs in the recent repertoire, especially the last two.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 10:29:49 AM »

Sailing Boat used to get played quite a lot about 10 years ago when the WKWTTG album came out. I like that one too.

For me though it would be The Wounded Whale, a staple of the Maart years and always spectacular & moving at Cropredy. Probably not possible with the current instrumental line up. Perhaps a Maart guest spot at Cropredy '07?
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 10:34:45 AM »

Spanish Main would make a welcome return as far as I'm concerned as would Restless from Rising for the Moon. Now that Simon has tackled Polly on the Shore how about some other songs which Trevor Lucas did originally?

Jackdaw
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 11:34:14 AM »

Have seen most of the Wintours since 1990 and don't remember hearing Swallow. Not to say its not been played though. Certainly remember Sailing Boat and I'm sure I've heard Islands live but can't be 100% sure. If I did it would have probably been on the JITC tour in '95.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 02:01:54 PM »

These three songs (Sailing Boat, Swallow and Islands) are amongst my favourites too.  

Sailing boat was performed either when Anna Ryder was support, '98 or '99 (our first time at a winter tour) or the year Simon had his leg in plaster.  It might even have been both.

I've never seen Swallow performed live and I'm not sure about The Islands.  I have a vague idea that the latter is a McTell song.

mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 02:53:16 PM »

I've never seen Swallow performed live and I'm not sure about The Islands.  I have a vague idea that the latter is a McTell song.

The Islands is definitely a Ralph song. Thats why I think it suits Simon so well.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 06:01:56 PM »

Any sightings of The Wishfulness Waltz recently? I know it's a bit fey, but I likes it.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 06:21:41 PM »

Any sightings of The Wishfulness Waltz recently? I know it's a bit fey, but I likes it.

Agreed - one which Bex and I sing, but we'd love to hear it done live by the band. Others which we'd like to see/hear again: Claudy Banks, Walk Awhile, Sloth, River Ash, Lord Marlborough, Rosie, Althea, Eynsham Poacher, Adieu, Adieu, Reynard, Set Me Up, Honour and Praise... the list could be endless!

DC
Dr Clive

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 06:27:11 PM »

Agreed - would love to hear this live.

Others we'd like to hear include: Althea, Reynard, Marlborough, Claudy, Ginnie, Rosemary's Sister, Eynsham Poacher, Adieu, Adieu, Card Song, Honour and Praise, Set Me Up, Rosie, Slipjigs & Reels, the list goes on...

DC
Dr Clive

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 06:28:50 PM »

Sorry about the repetition - the system told me my original post had timed out, so I did it again! Interesting to compare the lists...

DC
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 06:29:38 PM »

Agreed - one which Bex and I sing, but we'd love to hear it done live by the band. Others which we'd like to see/hear again: Claudy Banks, Walk Awhile, Sloth, River Ash, Lord Marlborough, Rosie, Althea, Eynsham Poacher, Adieu, Adieu, Reynard, Set Me Up, Honour and Praise... the list could be endless!

DC

And may well be by the end of this thread! Quite a few of those still pop up live fairly regularly, at least at Cropredy but I'm with you on Honour & Praise, a forgotten favourite.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 06:45:24 PM »

I would like to see/hear more of the stuff from Bonny Bunch of Roses and Tippler's Tales. They are all most all trad songs with a lot of harmony and fiddle/mandolin duos, which I think that the current lineup could do well.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 07:36:03 PM »

I would like to see/hear more of the stuff from Bonny Bunch of Roses and Tippler's Tales.

You'll hear something from Tipplers Tales this Wintour  Smiley
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 09:15:11 PM »

Spanish Main would make a welcome return as far as I'm concerned as would Restless from Rising for the Moon. Now that Simon has tackled Polly on the Shore how about some other songs which Trevor Lucas did originally?

Jackdaw

I'd love to see 'em do "Bring 'em Down" and "Jack O'Orion"!

In actual fact, I'd like to see 'em do Tippler's Tales from start to finish. Fantastic album!

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 09:36:19 PM »

I would like to see/hear more of the stuff from Bonny Bunch of Roses and Tippler's Tales.

You'll hear something from Tipplers Tales this Wintour  Smiley

I saw Fairport at Cambridge. What I meant tio say was something from BBOR and TT other than Widow of Westmoorland's Daughter

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 07:28:33 AM »

Oh what it is to have such a back catalogue to choose from...  Dark Eyed Molly and Travelling by Steam are a couple more I've thought of that I'd love to hear live.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 08:22:30 AM »

I'd like to see Honour and Praise back in, Wounded Whale (please bring Maart back!!) and The Card Song/Shuffle the Pack (this may have been featured recently, short term memory starting to go.

Wink

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 09:06:25 AM »

Another one to throw into the mix would be from ONBB - There Once Was Love - but with the full band not just acoustic set up.

Jackdaw
markwood

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 02:55:01 PM »

A tune rather than a song but how about "Bridge Over the River Ash"? Simon's viola part is always something special and we would now have 3 fiddles instead of 2! (Provided Gerry is happy to play the bass part in the Mattacks/Rowlands style of course...)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: