TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:42:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Unfashionable' or forgotten songs?  (Read 52081 times)
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2007, 06:18:33 PM »

Well I would just love to hear "Breakfast in Mayfair".

Simon doesn't wite many songs, but when he does they are brilliant. I'd love them to do all of Babbacombe Lee.

Perhaps more realistically, Watt Tyler.

Paul

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2007, 10:35:38 PM »

Head In A Sack* and Sock In It are, for me, two of the worst outings ever displayed under a Fairport name - and I speak as someone who would love to hear Limey's Lament delivered by Phill Jupitus at Cropredy. Travelling By Steam - similarly dreadful, thank the lord they dropped it as an opening number. Bring 'Em Down is possibly the best extant example of a brilliant title attached to a terrible song. Gold's terrible too. And their version of Home Is Where The Heart Is has to be heard to be believed. On the other hand, resurrect anything from Tippler's Tales, or Gladys' Leap*, and I'll be at the bar working out some sort of repayment scheme so I can buy the band, crew, audience and staff a drink sooner than you could say "Ric Sanders' echo pedal"      

*obviously, apart from that. Or My Feet Are Set for Dancing.  

Wow...you hate a lot of my very favorite songs. What do you like?!?!

You took the words out of my mouth!

I'm not mad about "Travelling By Steam" either though. The Huw & Tony Williams original is preferable and I have to agree about "Home Is Where The Heart Is". I have never figured out how it is possible to do such a poor and lifeless version of such a great song.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2007, 11:26:14 PM »

Bird from Mountain with Peggy singing. Please!

and London River. Good crowd singalong.  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2007, 12:30:48 PM »

I'd like the current lineup to do more stuff from pre Liege and Lief Fairport. Stuff like Percy's Song from Unhalfbricking. I know that it's one of Peggy's favourites, even though he didn't play on the original.  Grin And it would be great to see Simon playing his dulcimer, I love Flowers of The Forest from Full House

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2007, 01:58:57 PM »

Wow...you hate a lot of my very favorite songs. What do you like?!?!

Of the 'unfashionable' or 'forgotten' songs? Off the top of me 'ead, Slipjigs and Reels, A Cup of Tea etc, How Many Times, Claudy Banks and Cajun Woman spring to mind, thanks for asking.  Smiley  

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
mikeatlargue

Loc: Aberdeenshire

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2007, 03:41:25 PM »

One tune I would like them to revive is "Sigh Beg Sigh Mor" which is a beautiful tune and gives great scope for solos. It was a regular on the setlist in the late 80s but don't think has featured since and I reckon the current line-up could give it a fresh take
Sir Tom

Loc: Manchester (Term Time) Scarborough (home)

me at BEACHED 2006 (www.beached.net)

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2007, 10:59:41 PM »

I would desperately like to hear live

Nottamun Town

Sloth - with a theremin psykadelik twist! lol

and the wounded whale (WW) - have they only played that at about three/four crops,

the WW for me is a real tear jerker, me and my freind carly rarely listen to it because of the tingles!! simons low beginning wow!

Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2007, 02:37:40 PM »

Innstuck, Shattering Life Experience, Men, Frozen Man, Lalla Rookh, Here's to Tom Paine, Dangerous.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2007, 08:39:55 PM »

Innstuck, Shattering Life Experience, Men, Frozen Man, Lalla Rookh, Here's to Tom Paine, Dangerous.

Yeah.. more stuf from ONBB. I'd like a seperate Fairport Acoustic set at Cropredy one year. Maybe even a FAC studio album... they haven't recorded since ONBB and they very rarely come around my neck of the woods (East Anglia)  

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2007, 09:00:16 PM »

As it goes, I had my first hearing of ONBB just today....interesting to hear some material that was new to me for the very first time.

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2007, 09:06:53 PM »

Simon doesn't wite many songs, but when he does they are brilliant. I'd love them to do all of Babbacombe Lee.

Seriously overdue - seconded!

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2007, 09:27:18 PM »

BONNY BLACK HARE...

Oh yes please....  Grin Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2007, 10:36:04 AM »

Simon doesn't wite many songs, but when he does they are brilliant.

Agreed. He should certainly write more but when I've seen him asked he always declines saying there are others much better than he out there. Shame  Sad

I'd love them to do all of Babbacombe Lee.

Thirded (again) but unfortunately unlikely due to Swarbs medical history. And unlike other Swarb songs, I don't think anyone else could sing this album.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2007, 12:34:01 PM »

Simon doesn't wite many songs, but when he does they are brilliant.

Agreed. He should certainly write more but when I've seen him asked he always declines saying there are others much better than he out there. Shame  Sad

I'd love them to do all of Babbacombe Lee.

I'm sure they could. How about a guest for each song - what a night that would be. . .guessing who was next up to do the vocals. Or Chris and Simon could handle

Thirded (again) but unfortunately unlikely due to Swarbs medical history. And unlike other Swarb songs, I don't think anyone else could sing this album.

I'm sure they could. How about a guest for each song - and I don't see why Chris and Simon couldn't handle a lot of it.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2007, 12:35:58 PM »

Simon & Peggy need persuading too....they think it's Swarb's job. Unfortunately.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2007, 12:56:25 PM »

So what's the diff between that and WKWTTG? Sandy isn't around any more and neither is Swarbs singing voice. Sorry, but them's the facts.

Maybe someone needs to ask Swarb to have a quiet word (if he wants them to sing it, that is).

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2007, 02:02:07 PM »

On one level Andy there's no difference. WKWTTG has been sung by a number of different artists, as has Rosie and other songs from the FC archives. BL is however (IMO) a different matter. For one thing it’s a complete album, not a single song and its so closely associated with Swarb (and his voice). Unless they tried to sing it exactly as Swarb did which would be difficult/nigh on impossible, other vocalists would understandably put their own interpretation on it and that would make it a different album.

For some that might be OK and fair play to them. For me it wouldn't. BL was my introduction the Fairport and to hear anyone sing it other than Swarb wouldn't work for me. Sorry but impossible though it is, its still Swarb's job for me.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2007, 02:21:08 PM »

On one level Andy there's no difference. WKWTTG has been sung by a number of different artists, as has Rosie and other songs from the FC archives. BL is however (IMO) a different matter. For one thing it’s a complete album, not a single song and its so closely associated with Swarb (and his voice). Unless they tried to sing it exactly as Swarb did which would be difficult/nigh on impossible, other vocalists would understandably put their own interpretation on it and that would make it a different album.

For some that might be OK and fair play to them. For me it wouldn't. BL was my introduction the Fairport and to hear anyone sing it other than Swarb wouldn't work for me. Sorry but impossible though it is, its still Swarb's job for me.

I'll second that viewpoint...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2007, 02:27:07 PM »

...... if you feel like giving me a lifetime of devoton I'll second that ........

......... sorry, wrong words  Embarrassed

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »

I'll second that viewpoint...

And I'll third it.

Swarb does hope to be able to sing again one day, so 'impossible' might be a little pessimistic on this one.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: