TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:16:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pentangle - The Time Has Come 1967-1973  (Read 125166 times)
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 07:18:42 PM »

All put together by Colin Harper

http://www.colin-harper.com/

There's a lot of info there about it on the CD reissues page.
Excellent! I would never have found this! Many thanks.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2007, 07:19:37 PM »

I've just found it on US Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Time-Has-Come-1967-1973-Pentangle/dp/B000EPF8LC

$19.95  Shocked with the current exchange rate, that makes it just over a tenner! even with postage and duty it will come in around £15

There has to be a SNAFU about these prices...they can't be right.  No new 4-CD box set is that cheap is it?

... especially an inport?!?
Rory.
onions aren't meant to be grated
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2007, 07:34:32 PM »

I've just found it on US Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Time-Has-Come-1967-1973-Pentangle/dp/B000EPF8LC

$19.95  Shocked with the current exchange rate, that makes it just over a tenner! even with postage and duty it will come in around £15

There has to be a SNAFU about these prices...they can't be right.  No new 4-CD box set is that cheap is it?

... especially an inport?!?

I don't really know the in and outs, but I buy lots of luthiers stuff from the states and generally the duty is approx. 20% of the cost of the items. I can't see why it should be any different from CD's - yes we've been getting ripped off on imports all these years - A certain well known singer told me he gets the same amount in royalties whatever the punter pays for the music
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2007, 07:35:49 PM »

If its a postal import it depends on the value.  I think this one gets away with it, doesn't it?

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2007, 01:35:42 AM »

A certain well known singer told me he gets the same amount in royalties whatever the punter pays for the music

Interesting. We had this post from Squeezy John Spiers a few months ago, which gives a different story...

Hi there
Just to put the record straight on buying from the artist or amazon ...

I costs between 8-9 quid for anyone (including the band) to buy the CDs from a distribution company or the record company.  Normal markup for shops is about 50% so that's why CDs cost about £12-£14 in HMV etc. unless they are on special offer.  Amazon is just like tescos or other big companies - they will sell with just a £1 markup because they are so huge that they can afford to negotiate lower prices with the distribution companies - there's nothing wrong with that - but if you have a small friendly local independent cd shop then they simply can't compete with that kind of big company behaviour ... and my advice is that if you have a local record shop then you would probably be doing yourself a favour in the long-run by buying from them at a higher price because they would go out of business if you just went to Amazon for a discount of £3.

The same applies to bands who sell their own stuff - if you buy from our website then Bellowhead will make about £5 and if you buy from Amazon - the royalty we get is about 70p ... and you have to remember that it's split 11 ways!!

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Rory.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2007, 08:32:32 AM »

A certain well known singer told me he gets the same amount in royalties whatever the punter pays for the music

Interesting. We had this post from Squeezy John Spiers a few months ago, which gives a different story...

Hi there
Just to put the record straight on buying from the artist or amazon ...

I costs between 8-9 quid for anyone (including the band) to buy the CDs from a distribution company or the record company.  Normal markup for shops is about 50% so that's why CDs cost about £12-£14 in HMV etc. unless they are on special offer.  Amazon is just like tescos or other big companies - they will sell with just a £1 markup because they are so huge that they can afford to negotiate lower prices with the distribution companies - there's nothing wrong with that - but if you have a small friendly local independent cd shop then they simply can't compete with that kind of big company behaviour ... and my advice is that if you have a local record shop then you would probably be doing yourself a favour in the long-run by buying from them at a higher price because they would go out of business if you just went to Amazon for a discount of £3.

The same applies to bands who sell their own stuff - if you buy from our website then Bellowhead will make about £5 and if you buy from Amazon - the royalty we get is about 70p ... and you have to remember that it's split 11 ways!!

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick, I can only go on what I was told, it wouldn't be the first time I've missunderstood what I've been told and went blundering on in blissfull ignorance. As to the benefits of selling cds from their own website, that is true. Another friend and neighbour plays in a band and they were put onto this fact by a certain Mr Lakeman who was supporting them on tour.

As stated elsewhere, I'm lucky enough to be spoiled for choice in Brighton as far as independant record shops go, but the funny thing is that my shop of choice is actually cheaper than the big chains  Huh that's not the main reason I go, it's the fact they have everything I want on vinyl and are a good bunch of guys
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2007, 01:43:23 PM »

It's always interesting to think how we are paying the wages of these guys. When a band is large and successful that relationship seems distant and we think we're dealing with the record companies not the bands (which invariably we are.) When the band is small though and dependent on its own marketing skills it does make sense that the more direct the channel between buyer and band the more money the band will make, hence the more likely the band will be able to afford to keep going and give us good music.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2007, 04:24:32 PM »

Another 4-star review - this time in Uncut.  Also includes a few great photo's and an interesting little interview with Bert and John....  There's also a track on the cover CD.....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2007, 10:13:37 PM »

I get the feeling the release date on this beauty may have been shifted backwards?  Amazon are now stating : Not available and are sitting on my order... anyone else ordered it with anyone else and had any progress with their order?  Or know a new release date?  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2007, 10:24:27 PM »

March 13th according to the Amazon link at the top of this thread - but it's still there to order at that silly price!

How much P&P did you pay for your order?

AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2007, 02:50:27 AM »

The Amazon page now reads We are currently unable to offer this title. The label may be out of stock. If you would like to purchase this title, we recommend that you occasionally check this page to see if it has become available.

Still available for pre-order at HMV.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2007, 11:12:50 AM »

Johnny Walker gave it a plug this morning, standing in for Brian Matthews on Sounds of the Sixties.

Paul

Daniel A
n3wb

Loc: Chester

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »

I believe this set has the lively opening theme to "The Ballad of Tam Lin" (when the time comes) that I enquired about in another thread and previously unreleased as well as their version of Tam Lin... I'll probably wait until Amazon  have it in.

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2007, 08:34:22 PM »

Available as of now at both the UK and US Amazon sites listed earlier in this thread.

UK - Release February 26th @ £27.99
USA - Release March 13th @ $19.99

Pay yer money & take yer choice!

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2007, 08:38:01 PM »

Available as of now at both the UK and US Amazon sites listed earlier in this thread.

That is the most ridiculous price differential I have ever seen.  That equates to £10.12 according to my currency converter...

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2007, 10:12:19 PM »

yet another perfect example of rip off britain, and another reason why folks download

The Dude abides
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2007, 09:55:06 PM »

Now due in the UK on 12th March.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2007, 09:57:36 PM »

yet another perfect example of rip off britain, and another reason why folks download

I actually think the UK price is very very reasonable - I'd even say cheap.  The US price is just plain wrong!

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2007, 09:59:40 PM »

well, I've paid it - even with duty, etc.....it'll be less than £20!

Rory.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2007, 10:33:37 PM »

well, I've paid it - even with duty, etc.....it'll be less than £20!

Chris, without wishing to be rude, could you let us know the final price please? I usually get duty bills 4 - 6 weeks after I buy stuff from the States, but this would be interesting, considering the fact that from the first link they were saying it was an import, ie it has to cross the pond twice. If this is the case, I'd like to know how the price differential is justified  Huh
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: