TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:29:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 86   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport-related Youtube Clips  (Read 1223445 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1600 on: June 24, 2020, 01:56:42 PM »

I too love it as I do all his playing in Soft Machine.  I also adore Rise Up Like the Sun on which he also plays.  

None of which explains to me why I have such an extreme negative reaction to Ric's playing in the band for the last 35 years....I've just never liked his Fairport sound.  Go figure.

To some extent I agree strangely enough - but certainly would not go so far as "extreme negative". I'd already seen Ric quite a few times before he joined FC, largely through his splendid work with Andy Cronshaw (as an aside has anybody ever come across a live recording either of that duo or their band with the Pyewackett people? - that really should have been kept for posterity). But, yes, back on topic, I think when Ric joined FC he lost some of the subtle nuances of his playing … possibly went too far in leaving his jazz persona behind him.

And yet, for me, my main problem with his playing (in Fairport) is his 'jazziness'.  Go figure.  My head-scratching question of the ages is why Fairport have one of the very best folk fiddlers in the business in their ranks, and clear heir to Swarb's crown, and yet don't use him for what he is best for...  You won't be surprised to know that probably my favourite post-85 Fairport performance (baring the Barbican and some of the Cropredy old boys sets) is Cropredy '92.  

Incidentally, listen to Ric's playing on Rise up like the Sun (which I adore).  There's nothing even remotely like what he was doing with Fairport from '85 onwards.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1601 on: June 25, 2020, 10:28:42 AM »

And yet, for me, my main problem with his playing (in Fairport) is his 'jazziness'.  My head-scratching question of the ages is why Fairport have one of the very best folk fiddlers in the business in their ranks, and clear heir to Swarb's crown, and yet don't use him for what he is best for...  You won't be surprised to know that probably my favourite post-85 Fairport performance (baring the Barbican and some of the Cropredy old boys sets) is Cropredy '92.  

I'm seconding this emotion.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #1602 on: June 25, 2020, 11:47:02 AM »

I suppose the answer to that conundrum is simply the obvious one that Chris can play many other instruments and Ric can't do so … FC quite understandably want to keep Ric in the ranks because of what he brings to the table in terms of arrangements, compositions and that indefinable yet very important quality of team spirit … so it has to be (mainly) Ric and not Chris on fiddle. In other words … and I apologise to those who don't get football references … could Ric be the Emile Heskey of Fairport?  Grin
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1603 on: June 25, 2020, 12:21:41 PM »

And yet, for me, my main problem with his playing (in Fairport) is his 'jazziness'.  My head-scratching question of the ages is why Fairport have one of the very best folk fiddlers in the business in their ranks, and clear heir to Swarb's crown, and yet don't use him for what he is best for...  You won't be surprised to know that probably my favourite post-85 Fairport performance (baring the Barbican and some of the Cropredy old boys sets) is Cropredy '92.  

I'm seconding this emotion.

Jules

Yep. Nail, head interface.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1604 on: June 25, 2020, 04:09:08 PM »

I suppose the answer to that conundrum is simply the obvious one that Chris can play many other instruments and Ric can't do so … FC quite understandably want to keep Ric in the ranks because of what he brings to the table in terms of arrangements, compositions and that indefinable yet very important quality of team spirit … so it has to be (mainly) Ric and not Chris on fiddle. In other words … and I apologise to those who don't get football references … could Ric be the Emile Heskey of Fairport?  Grin

Football reference over my head unfortunately! But I think that is accurate. Ric does dabble in other instruments of course but he isn't a true multi-instrumentalist like Chris. In terms of Ric's playing it has gone through some changes. When he joined he came with a deep admiration for Swarb but didn't shy away from claiming his own style was jazz influenced, and I think that is exactly what the band wanted. They didn't want a straight up folk fiddler.  I also think in the Maart era some of the arrangements were designed to specifically highlight what the 'new boys' brought to the table that by design was moving away from the Swarb model. I'm thinking of things like that great little solo on Set Me Up that really bursts out or his work on the song Jewel In The Crown to cite a few examples. But when the band decided to explore the more acoustic side, Ric didn't just ditch the skeleton violin, he developed a new approach to the violin and arrangement in my opinion. And I think it was the right time TO ditch the heavily distorted electric violin sounds and effects. They were past their sell by date.   The flourishes and technique inherent in his playing are still very much there, but they are not as pronounced. One thing though-despite not being a straight up folk fiddle player by nature, Ric certainly has proven his ability to play quite well in that style if he chooses.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1605 on: July 12, 2020, 10:28:01 PM »

Dame Judy in fine form. https://youtu.be/zIq-fA0p4Lo

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1606 on: July 13, 2020, 06:03:24 PM »

Great little clip. Thanks Shane

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
peter m

« Reply #1607 on: July 16, 2020, 09:07:32 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jee_tmzoWk4&t=134s

Apologies if this has been put up before, but on the day their box set went on sale, here is a marvellous 45 mins from Richard and Linda's days in the folk clubs in Jan '73. Linda is in great voice and Now Be Thankful, Has He Got a Friend and The Little Beggar Girl really shine.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1608 on: July 21, 2020, 01:15:46 PM »

More Mr Thompson (apologies if already posted). Live acoustic show with David Byrne from 1992. Particular rarities include solo RT She moves through the fair, and RT/DB duet of Rockin’ in the Free world. A great set. https://youtu.be/rbscW-voMRw
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #1609 on: July 22, 2020, 04:13:53 PM »

Doesnt Phillip Henry of the edgelarks look young? Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
mightyglydd
An electric train freak should have no problems

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #1610 on: July 22, 2020, 04:56:38 PM »

Doesn't get any better than this IMO..

Shoot Out the Lights - RT + Elvis and Band...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sge1h-w7hWc
Yorkshire Chris
Did you have a Sloppy Guiseppe?

Loc: Yorkshire (who'd have guessed...!)

« Reply #1611 on: July 22, 2020, 05:36:44 PM »

Doesn't get any better than this IMO..

Shoot Out the Lights - RT + Elvis and Band...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sge1h-w7hWc

I was well excited until I realised you meant 'Costello'...!  Wink
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1612 on: August 15, 2020, 06:14:20 PM »

I've put this in a Cropredy 2020 thread but in case it gets missed there it should go here too. This is quite special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9rh502InFE&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0_m-zGtvsFv3xF6l54pylu-woiuQINZoo0limhco2JumQjMSDNQJ1fIGQ
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1613 on: August 15, 2020, 06:44:49 PM »

I've put this in a Cropredy 2020 thread but in case it gets missed there it should go here too. This is quite special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9rh502InFE&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0_m-zGtvsFv3xF6l54pylu-woiuQINZoo0limhco2JumQjMSDNQJ1fIGQ

Awww, that's lovely.  Good stuff.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1614 on: August 21, 2020, 12:14:57 PM »

The video for Astrologers, from the Dyble Longdon album is now on YouTube. It is a beautiful song. Eye-wateringly, if you get my drift.

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1615 on: August 21, 2020, 12:26:25 PM »

The video for Astrologers, from the Dyble Longdon album is now on YouTube. It is a beautiful song. Eye-wateringly, if you get my drift.

And here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3kQLMl7hMs

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1616 on: August 21, 2020, 12:53:27 PM »

Ta David, I'm out and about, so didn't have the link to hand on my moby.

Flobbadob!
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #1617 on: August 23, 2020, 01:34:28 PM »

Audio from the 1969 Royal Festival Hall launch of Liege & Lief - sound quality is poor, but it's all there is.

Tam Lin / The Mason's Apron

https://youtu.be/bLSUBast2wM

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
mightyglydd

« Reply #1618 on: August 25, 2020, 05:16:38 PM »

Hmm where is the YT photo from?
According to Getty images it's from Copenhagen ??
Reason I ask is AFAIR at some point FC used all Fender amps/cabinets with original Jensen or Utah speakers.....
mightyglydd

« Reply #1619 on: August 25, 2020, 06:10:21 PM »

oh...Fairport + Cyril @ DM era.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 86   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: