TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:35:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 86   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport-related Youtube Clips  (Read 1223364 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1580 on: November 27, 2019, 11:18:24 AM »

the GPs Friday set being problematic due difficulties with one of the performers, no prizes for guessing which.

Just as well there's no prize, because I haven't got a clue.

Jules

Ralph, but that's a guess?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1581 on: November 27, 2019, 11:32:38 AM »

If problematic due to contractual stuff I’d lean more towards Richard who seemed not particularly nostalgic about The GP’s. I seem to remember something to that effect in the Patrick Humphries book

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1582 on: November 27, 2019, 12:00:40 PM »

If problematic due to contractual stuff I’d lean more towards Richard who seemed not particularly nostalgic about The GP’s. I seem to remember something to that effect in the Patrick Humphries book

Really? The last time they played (2009?) I seem to remember a very positive interview with him about them..

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1583 on: November 27, 2019, 12:42:34 PM »

Really? The last time they played (2009?) I seem to remember a very positive interview with him about them..

Happy to be proved wrong. But I remember in the book Richard basically saying it was just a thing done for fun and what was it? All of 6 gigs. I think maybe a little surprised people thought of it so fondly.Similar to  having kept Small Town Romance unavailable for a long time. He didn’t think much of it but eventually came round.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1584 on: November 27, 2019, 12:45:43 PM »

'Twas Ralph that was named.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #1585 on: January 20, 2020, 09:55:09 AM »

From the Albion Band's 1982 album Light Shining, 'The Green Mist' written and sung by Cathy Lesurf, and a song that deserves to be nowhere near as obscure a part of the folk-rock story as it currently is.  

https://youtu.be/OtgNt9zGupw

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #1586 on: January 20, 2020, 09:18:01 PM »

Apologies if this is elsewhere and already discussed but I am so enjoying this...

2017 documentary on the band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGWstVDbQoY&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2VPnOzp88D-Ws0V4YUfu_Cij2CRUJPxXUkpR3bNJyO8fw7HA0ySGD2FNM
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 09:37:35 PM by JJ (Joanna) » Logged

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1587 on: February 12, 2020, 01:27:37 PM »

Full video of the 2001 Anna Ryder/Julianne Regan Banbury show. I was lucky enough to be there (guest appearance from Ric and a Sandy Denny cover make it Fairport related!)

https://youtu.be/EsWV_YyGNqE
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1588 on: February 12, 2020, 03:32:12 PM »

Full video of the 2001 Anna Ryder/Julianne Regan Banbury show. I was lucky enough to be there (guest appearance from Ric and a Sandy Denny cover make it Fairport related!)

https://youtu.be/EsWV_YyGNqE
Lovely! Thank you for posting this  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1589 on: February 23, 2020, 11:31:40 PM »

I’m sure I’ve posted this before, but I love the interplay between the musicians - the way the bass player sidles round to watch Thompy work, how RT relaxes into the song, the little nod for the solo and how the guitarists end up sparring, and a splendid DM pastiche cum tribute from Griffin on drums. Dawes and Richard Thompson playing ‘Calvary Cross’.
 https://youtu.be/CCnnS4lFOsg

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1590 on: February 24, 2020, 09:20:41 AM »

I’m sure I’ve posted this before, but I love the interplay between the musicians - the way the bass player sidles round to watch Thompy work, how RT relaxes into the song, the little nod for the solo and how the guitarists end up sparring, and a splendid DM pastiche cum tribute from Griffin on drums. Dawes and Richard Thompson playing ‘Calvary Cross’.
 https://youtu.be/CCnnS4lFOsg

I enjoyed that.  The Dawes guy may even have out-soloed Richard.  RT gets bonus points for not giving a **** about getting up on stage in a Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and sandals.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1591 on: February 26, 2020, 06:28:58 PM »

Speaking of Richard, here's a glimpse of a show I used to watch back in the day. Behold the glory of vintage American commercials between the music!  Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz4d0JNreJg&t=2528s

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1592 on: April 26, 2020, 03:18:37 PM »

Here's a 23 year old Ric giving it large with the Softies in '76....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VBHygKgilM&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3IwVQtLL4Ed1HgdxGDWtsphRa6dMXNNEk_yoMinjcdq9QQDak3l1WiDEA

Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #1593 on: April 26, 2020, 03:49:31 PM »

Lovely stuff. My only Soft Machine album is "Alive and Well and Recorded in Paris", which features this line up. And nobody should be without the short-lived "Second Vision"'s First Steps LP featuring Etheridge and Sanders - a little bit less jazzy and a little bit more folky.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1594 on: April 26, 2020, 04:08:12 PM »

Love it.
Sounds like Roxy era Zappa with Ponty on violin, albeit less scratchy..

Well I never did..
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1595 on: April 26, 2020, 04:25:13 PM »

I too love it as I do all his playing in Soft Machine.  I also adore Rise Up Like the Sun on which he also plays.  

None of which explains to me why I have such an extreme negative reaction to Ric's playing in the band for the last 35 years....I've just never liked his Fairport sound.  Go figure.

Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #1596 on: April 26, 2020, 08:44:13 PM »

Lovely stuff...It would be great to find a recording with this lineup...Any suggestions?

And that Fender Rhodes is just sublime...(Along with the Mellotron, my fave keyboard sound)... Cool
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 08:58:12 PM by Glen S » Logged
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #1597 on: April 26, 2020, 09:46:54 PM »

44 years later and hes still wearing the same T shirt nowadays .

Must be Bloody hard to make a living as a Violin Genius.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1598 on: June 23, 2020, 09:17:35 PM »

Headless bass? Check. Moustaches? Check. Ric on piano. Check. The eighties called and they want DM’s shirt back.
Honour and Praise in Australia.
https://youtu.be/lLT9jVGIadc

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #1599 on: June 24, 2020, 01:29:45 PM »

I too love it as I do all his playing in Soft Machine.  I also adore Rise Up Like the Sun on which he also plays.  

None of which explains to me why I have such an extreme negative reaction to Ric's playing in the band for the last 35 years....I've just never liked his Fairport sound.  Go figure.

To some extent I agree strangely enough - but certainly would not go so far as "extreme negative". I'd already seen Ric quite a few times before he joined FC, largely through his splendid work with Andy Cronshaw (as an aside has anybody ever come across a live recording either of that duo or their band with the Pyewackett people? - that really should have been kept for posterity). But, yes, back on topic, I think when Ric joined FC he lost some of the subtle nuances of his playing … possibly went too far in leaving his jazz persona behind him.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 86   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: