TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:35:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faiport on the Radio 2 Folk Awards  (Read 15842 times)
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« on: February 09, 2006, 01:26:40 AM »

There wasn't a dry eye in Peel Towers during Fairport's performance of Matty Groves and Meet on the Ledge, at the Radio 2 Folk Awards.

I feel short-changed, though, about the decision NOT to televise this important milestone in the long history of Folk-Rock's supremos.

It was fitting that the award should be presented by Stuart Maconie -'the best thing to come out of Wigan since the A58 to Bolton' according to Peter Kay.  I've just finished reading Maconie's auto-biography 'Cider with Roadies' and it was a page-turner of immense insight, humour and downright good sense.  I thought he did a good job of explaining the reasons why Fairport touched us and still endure in our affections. 

My lower lip started to wobble, though, when Georgia Lucas received the Award.  Breathless and emotional, she had just a few minutes to express her gratitude to the ordinary members of the public who keep her parent's memory alive. It was very affecting and apt. It followed, seamlessly, from an acceptance speech of Ashley Hutchings - a reflective, wise and poignant observation on the vagaries of fame, celebrity and popular music taste.

A lump appeared in my throat when the line-up was announced.  I imagined that my dear Talkawhile friend, Carey Hancock, would be whooping it up in Another Place as the names were announced - Nicol, Swarbrick, Mattacks, Thompson and Hutchings.  He'd have thought it a master-stroke of genuius that Sandy's baton would be passed to the wonderful Chris While. The rendition of 'Matty Groves' was head-and-shoulders above anything that had gone before on the Show and yet, it was totally different to the version on Liege and Lief.  That's what you get with Fairport old and new - they never stand still and they constantly reinvent the songs and improve them.

I'll admit that the tears welled as the grand finale was prefaced by young Simon and when the cast of dozens was introduced by Mike Harding.  My life flashed before me.  My adolescence, my adult-hood, my working life, my family, the tragedies, the joys and the connections with other Fairport fans.  There were gigs in London, gigs in Burnley, gigs in Manchester and Banbury and there was Cropredy.

And there would be many more. 

I switched off the radio and felt uplifted.  The story goes on.  We go on.  There's plenty more where that came from and even more to discover.  I raise a glass of sherry to you all.

Sir Robert Peel

folkicons

Solderer of Fortune

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 08:14:17 AM »

According to Chris While there was a Newsnight team present and there is likely to be an item on tonight's (Thurs.) programme. Any confirmations?

"The bride wore Black & Decker"
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 08:18:31 AM »

I'll second that Sir Bob... congratulations to all the Fairports (and the others winners ans nominees)

It was a crime though that it wasn't televised... Shocked

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Andrew

Loc: Planet Earth

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 09:12:54 AM »

Great post.  I was chatting to Simon on Tuesday evening and he also mentioned that there should be a snippet of the awards on Newsnight.

Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into Stanley
SteveK
No load, always skip

Loc: London

It's a long way up from down here

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 12:19:23 PM »

You can "Listen Again" to the Mike Harding show special edition on the Radio 2 Website. The "L&L" lineup play Matty Groves and L&L style and then all join in for MOTL.

Matty starts about 1 hour 40 mins into the recording.

Great to hear Swarb playing again.

SteveK

Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 12:22:12 PM »

I was alone.  The house was still.  Having just received a crash course in how to carry out the proposed recording of the show, I settled down to review my instructions.

I felt quite matter-of-fact about the whole affair.  After all, I am a relative latecomer to Fairport Convention - late 1990s.  This Liege and Lief thing was beyond my direct experience, except in terms of the back catalogue.  I have no memories of the early Fairport.  Why should I?  I was just a child at the time.

And then it happened.  Just as Simon's voice faultered, ever so slightly (or so it seemed to me) as he sang, "And now I see ..."  I couldn't stop myself.  The emotion welled up inside and the tears began to flow.

In a few short years, this band has become immensely important to me.  Their music has rejoiced with me when I was happy, comforted me when I was sad and in a strange way helped me to come to a better understanding of who I am and the world in which we live.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that Fairport Convention has huge significance not only for the people who were there at the beginning but also for those of us who have joined along the way.  Bringing the current band on stage to perform Meet On The Ledge reinforced perfectly the link between the old and the new.  There is a continuity about this remarkable family and a sense of belonging for all of us who come into contact with it - again highlighted by the throng who supported the singing of that final song.

In the words of Sir Bob, who wrote so eloquently in a previous post, and who has been much missed during the last couple of months, by me at least ...
The story goes on.  We go on.  There's plenty more where that came from and even more to discover.
Simon Nicol
Samantha was detained elsewhere...

Loc: Usually CT4

Wilco ... and Out!

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 12:29:15 PM »

Sir Robert, Katy's Mum et al: Your words say much, what inspired you to write them says more. Thank you, on behalf of us all. I am moved....

As the Zen Master said, "Don't just do something - sit there!"
pauled

Loc: Swansea

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 04:38:39 PM »

Just "listened again " for the second time  - the whole show was excellent  ....... but FC Matty and MOTL were absolutely brilliant. And what a line up of Folk legends joined FC on stage for MOTL.

yours, in Fairportness,

Paul

A holiday, a holiday and the BEST one of the year!
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 05:59:07 PM »

I thought I had a halcyon view of Fairport, but after listening to the recording and admittedly enjoying the thrill of the "reformation" (Swarb exceeded my expectations) I did feel as though time had moved on but the Fairport spirit had moved on too. This is a good thing.

Perhaps the youngsters ( Cheesy ) could adapt a few more traditional songs, but they are Fairport now, albeit part of a lovely extended family.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Simon Care
A good head for squeezeboxes

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 06:02:34 PM »

Hi All,
I was there....and it was indeed something that i wouldn't have missed for the world.
As i said in another thread.....not only was Georgia there, but also Joe Boyd was stood side stage.

I chatted to Jon Boden, of Spires and Boden fame, and he also thought it was fab.

I was also very chuffed for Ashley to recieve The Good Tradition Award.

Nice one chaps

Simon Care (see you all at Cropredy)
Joss

Loc: Castle Cary, Somerset

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 06:30:22 PM »

You people say it all so eloquently - nothing I can add, except it was all very moving. Fairports have been part of my life since 1968, its been a wonderful journey and long may they continue. Now you may understand partly why I was so determined to create my book, to share my experience in a way that so many others would recognise and be able to join in with and enjoy.

Must go & play the tape again!!
cheers
Joss
jamesiegang

Loc: Mirfield West Yorks

How Can You Dance With Two Left Feet?

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 06:33:15 PM »

According to Chris While there was a Newsnight team present and there is likely to be an item on tonight's (Thurs.) programme. Any confirmations?

I reckon there is a good chance there will be a report tonight.
There was nothing on weds. programme. and as I mentioned on pauled's thread I was luck enough to be there on Monday.Next morning the BBC2 Newsnight report was being scheduled for Thursday at 10.30 pm.
Hope this is right, but it is a shame that the whole event wasn't shown.
It would have dove-tailed perfectly in the current BBC4 series of programmes.

"A Man of the Earth ...A Man of the Soil"
jamesiegang

Loc: Mirfield West Yorks

How Can You Dance With Two Left Feet?

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 11:55:31 AM »

No report on Thursday...apologies!
As mentioned in another thread it may be tonight on Newsnight Review.
(a clash with  BBC4 ?)

"A Man of the Earth ...A Man of the Soil"
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 08:50:16 PM »

I listened to the first part of the show on my way to see the chaps at Milton Keynes on Wednesday and the rest last night. When I heard Fairport's songs I sat there with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes

Katy's mum,  I'm with you - although they were the first band I ever saw live.............

............ this band has become immensely important to me.  Their music has rejoiced with me when I was happy, comforted me when I was sad and in a strange way helped me to come to a better understanding of who I am and the world in which we live.

A colleague's husband said 'They're not a band, they're a community'

That's how it feels to me......thanks chaps.

delfini

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 03:02:26 AM »

Residing in an entirely different continent, I was pleased to be able to listen to the broadcast via the BBC website.  It's true what others have said, that the version of Matty that was played was a) the highlight of the event, b) a faithful but not too strict interpretation of the recording - it existed in its own space too, and c) entirely contemporary sounding still.

What I wonder is - with so many people involved, who gets to keep the actual award??  I know Georgia accepted it which was a nice touch, but does she get to keep it as well, or is there some sort of roster involved?   Smiley

MH

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2006, 05:47:35 PM »

No report on Thursday...apologies!
As mentioned in another thread it may be tonight on Newsnight Review.

Which it wsn't. Looks as though that got trashed....

mikemush

Loc: Harlow,Essex :-(

"In his forties,and still unusual" H.Rawlinson

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2006, 06:27:04 PM »

Obviously, with a mega-star like Leo Sayer on they thought it'd be too much of a good thing!  Angry

Not that I actually have much against Leo Sayer, mind..........

"Aha! As I anticipated,things have gone wildly beyond my control"  Professor Nebulous
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2006, 07:33:21 PM »

As another latecomer to appreciating Fairport, I just wanted to add to what Katy's mum wrote above. I was at my desk (supposedly marking exercise books), but in reality listening to the Folk Awards. (Like others, I wish there had been tv coverage; would have loved to see the expressions on peoples' faces).

It was great to hear the different versions of Matty Groves and Meet on the Ledge, especially after hearing them so recently in Basingstoke. It's only a year since I started listening to FC, and I'm completely hooked. As Katy's mum said, there's something for every mood; if I've had a bad day at work, I listen to the title track of "Over the next hill" on the way home.

I can't understand how I managed to avoid this music for so long. I'm 45, and over the years have been to see Leonard Cohen, Dick Gaughan, Martin Carthy and Dave Swarbrick, and possess Richard Thompson albums from the 80's. Somehow there was a big gap in my education - perhaps I was scared off "folk rock" as a teenager by "All around my hat". Punk rock seemed more enticing.

Anyway, I'm making up for it now. Part of me is disappointed to think what I've been missing all these years - but the upside is, I've now got the huge back catalogue to explore. I'm doing it bit by bit, trying not to overdose.

I keep thinking I can't possibly find any more gems, then I do. Last week I bought "Full House" and can't stop playing "Sloth" - just brilliant.

I know it sounds corny, but it really has changed things for me and opened up whole new vistas. I'm loving listening to all the old stuuf, and the current stuff is great too. (What a voice Simon Nicol has - I nearly melted when he sang "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" in Basingstoke). I've even borrowed a guitar from my son's bedroom and started strumming (very badly - not tried for 20 years now!) By the way, is there a FC songbook anywhere out there?

I'm even going to take the music to work with me! Been doing ballads with Year 7 English, Tennyson  and so on. I really think we need to study "Sir Patrick Spens" next...

Very sorry to ramble on a such length (if anyone has got this far), but I'm so pleased to have found this board - I can't inflict the zeal of the converted on the people in my day to day life!

Looking forward immensely to Cropredy,
Anne T
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2006, 07:39:35 PM »

Hallo Anne T and welcome

You've certainly come to the right place to natter about Cropredy and Fairport and Ralph McT and, well, just about any music that can be tenuously connected to anything really........ Grin

Jude

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2006, 07:42:02 PM »

Welcome Anne,

Looking forward immensely to Cropredy,

You'll love it  Fez

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: