TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:19:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faiport on the Radio 2 Folk Awards  (Read 15832 times)
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2006, 09:14:43 PM »

By the way, is there a FC songbook anywhere out there?

Anne.. take a look at http://www.maartinallcock.com/ and go the Shop link and you will find all sorts of Allcock goodies including an FC songbook

Nutts

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006, 04:26:01 PM »

Just listened to Fairport's performance on the Folk Awards (via Listen Again). Hairs on the back of the neck or what? Please tell me it was filmed, someone.

And what a natural Ms While is at the front of that band. I wouldn't want to give them any ideas, but. . .
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2006, 05:38:06 PM »

Thank you, Nutts. I have had a look, and will be requesting the Fairport songbook for my birthday. (The rest of the family will be requesting earplugs though).
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2006, 07:52:31 PM »

There wasn't a dry eye in Peel Towers during Fairport's performance of Matty Groves and Meet on the Ledge, at the Radio 2 Folk Awards.

I feel short-changed, though, about the decision NOT to televise this important milestone in the long history of Folk-Rock's supremos.

It was fitting that the award should be presented by Stuart Maconie -'the best thing to come out of Wigan since the A58 to Bolton' according to Peter Kay.  I've just finished reading Maconie's auto-biography 'Cider with Roadies' and it was a page-turner of immense insight, humour and downright good sense.  I thought he did a good job of explaining the reasons why Fairport touched us and still endure in our affections. 

My lower lip started to wobble, though, when Georgia Lucas received the Award.  Breathless and emotional, she had just a few minutes to express her gratitude to the ordinary members of the public who keep her parent's memory alive. It was very affecting and apt. It followed, seamlessly, from an acceptance speech of Ashley Hutchings - a reflective, wise and poignant observation on the vagaries of fame, celebrity and popular music taste.

A lump appeared in my throat when the line-up was announced.  I imagined that my dear Talkawhile friend, Carey Hancock, would be whooping it up in Another Place as the names were announced - Nicol, Swarbrick, Mattacks, Thompson and Hutchings.  He'd have thought it a master-stroke of genuius that Sandy's baton would be passed to the wonderful Chris While. The rendition of 'Matty Groves' was head-and-shoulders above anything that had gone before on the Show and yet, it was totally different to the version on Liege and Lief.  That's what you get with Fairport old and new - they never stand still and they constantly reinvent the songs and improve them.

I'll admit that the tears welled as the grand finale was prefaced by young Simon and when the cast of dozens was introduced by Mike Harding.  My life flashed before me.  My adolescence, my adult-hood, my working life, my family, the tragedies, the joys and the connections with other Fairport fans.  There were gigs in London, gigs in Burnley, gigs in Manchester and Banbury and there was Cropredy.

And there would be many more. 

I switched off the radio and felt uplifted.  The story goes on.  We go on.  There's plenty more where that came from and even more to discover.  I raise a glass of sherry to you all.

Sir Robert Peel

Excellent post! Quite had the strepsils out to deal with aforesaid lump in gullet... The very mention of the words "Mattacks, Hutchings, Swarbrick, Thompson, Nicol" is enough to set me blubbing with barely controlled nostalgia. How great were they at Cropredy 2002? How great were they in 1969? I think I'll head off to the Salle de la Musique and crank up dee volume on Tam Lin... NB Yoiu are so right aout the lack of BBC imagination in not screening this on TV. A seriously missed opportunity, particularly at a time when we have the really very good "Folk Britannica" on TV. Typical Beeb.

So we beat on. boats against the current...
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 11:52:16 PM »

Been saving the 'listen again' till I could do it in one- and it was a very enjoyable evening, then... Kerpow!! As others have said already, and better than I can, I was just knocked sideways. Lots of tears, but I've been singing to myself ever since. Coming up 39 years and still the music catches me by surprise and carries me away! Thank you!! August....
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2006, 12:29:26 PM »

There are more photos from the evening here and on the folllowing two pages.

This appears to be folk photographer Brian Ledgard's photo-blog site - so may well be worth bookmarking....

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2006, 05:58:25 PM »

There's a short article, pictures and brief quotes from RT, Swarb and Simon in the new Word magazine.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: