TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 20, 2024, 11:23:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour 2006 Set?  (Read 25909 times)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« on: January 08, 2006, 01:58:58 PM »

Isn't it about time we started running the annual book on what the opening number of the gigs will be? (room there for a tasty accumulator on the what song/which bass player double, I reckon...). With OTNH hardly being the 'new' album this time round, do you think the set will still be based around it, or is there scope for pulling a few surprises out of the magic bag of tricks? Or a Folk Award-inspired trawl through "L and L" perhaps? Oh, hell, I know it won't make a scrap of difference and it always ends up with Chris mentioning that he's been to a rehearsal and we're all wrong, but has anyone got any theories? My eventual trip out to Cambridge or not will probably rest on advance reports of what's on offer this time round.
Skirky   

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 03:08:57 PM »

Isn't it about time we started running the annual book on what the opening number of the gigs will be? 

My eventual trip out to Cambridge or not will probably rest on advance reports of what's on offer this time round.
Skirky   

What's on offer?   Just the usual excellence I expect Smiley
mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 03:49:39 PM »

Oh, hell, I know it won't make a scrap of difference and it always ends up with Chris mentioning that he's been to a rehearsal and we're all wrong

ooooooH, that's hardly fair! - I'll hopefully be going to the first night, but wouldn't spoil a thread like this, even if I was given a set-list in advance. Which I doubt....

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 04:56:29 PM »

Heehee... I've seen you with a set list Chris!!!!

(Thanks for letting me see it... Wink Wink)

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 05:03:20 PM »

I can't remember when - the Cropredy warm-ups maybe - but never for the Wintour....

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 05:37:04 PM »

Crop warm up.. by the bus station Grin Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 06:49:53 PM »

What's on offer?   Just the usual excellence I expect Smiley
mic

Key word there Hon' - "usual". Tell me 'Reynard The Fox' is back in the set and that'd probably stir me to at least get upstairs and check to see where my credit card is. First reports come in that it's the same set as last year only starting with 'Travelling By Steam' and I'd probably still check my card, but only to see if I can pick up the new CD online rather than at the merch stall. Someone says that the first set is a whole "L&L" retrospective and the second set features "Bonaparte's Retreat" with strobe lights and a Ric Sanders echoplex wig-out and I'd probably be checking the car keys to see if I can get there and start queueing now. I think there's a lot to be said for having a boyhood fan actually in the band...I sometimes like to think of Chris Leslie turning up to rehearsal and saying "Guys, you know I've always wanted to do 'Babbacombe Lee' in it's entirety...how about this time out...?". Be a laugh, would'n' it?  Cool   

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 07:04:37 PM »

Tickets bought for Cambridge. Mic and I will see you there Skirky, should you make a decision to attend....

As for set list........Yeah, it would be nice to hear different stuff o'course, but I will be thrilled to bits whatever they perform. Easily pleased, that's me Roll Eyes

Gower Flower Tiara

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 07:34:37 PM »

Key word there Hon' - "usual". 

Ah yes, definitely the key word Smiley   as in, the excellence will be as usual Wink

As for what I'd like to hear:  The Game Pieces, Banbury Fair, Don't Leave Too Soon, (Don't Despise)The Deserter, From A Distance, Genesis Hall, Rosie, My Girl, Knights Of The Road...

Just for starters you understand Roll Eyes
mic

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 07:43:01 PM »

I just hope they continue to rest Matty....the way the set concluded in the Autumn would certainly get me out again.....

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 08:33:06 PM »

they're not coming to manchester so i wont bother either Angry
esp after last years lacklustre set Sad
 it would be nice if skirky's wishes came true ,them i might try southport or burnley Shocked
 but i fear it will be more of the same Embarrassed

tell you what though , re matty, i'd settle for them to play it straight and not bugger about with it
 its a gag that only really works the first time you hear it

The Dude abides
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 09:09:29 PM »

It is a well guarded secret but he first tune played will be the Frog Up The Pump medleay as everyone knows Gottle of Geer should have won the award not Liege and Lief Grin

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 09:12:24 PM »

Get your flak jacket on mate.....  Grin

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 10:03:02 PM »

they're not coming to manchester so i wont bother either Angry
esp after last years lacklustre set Sad
 it would be nice if skirky's wishes came true ,them i might try southport or burnley Shocked
 but i fear it will be more of the same Embarrassed

tell you what though , re matty, i'd settle for them to play it straight and not bugger about with it
 its a gag that only really works the first time you hear it

Not taking the road north to sunny Blackpool then Jim?

Happy mainly.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 10:15:58 PM »

As for what I'd like to hear:  The Game Pieces

I may be avoiding that gig  Tongue

Yes, they may be well rehearsed on OTNH, and there are three cracking songs on there, but it would be a poor show not to make the use of the back catalogue. even a rusty performance of Babbacombe Lee or Poor Will... would be preferable to another polished outing of Wassail Song - probably the case for most Fairporters.

I really don't plan to go to any more gigs apart from Cropredy if the setlist doesn't change. Show Of Hands have a moderate back catalogue, and vary things quite a bit. Fairport have a HUGE back catalogue... Undecided

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 10:18:16 PM »

Oh yes, please rest the Wassail Song. It's just a tad over-exposed right now and needs a few tours left in the shadows.

Hey, here's an idea - maybe some NEW stuff?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 08:35:53 AM »

I'd like to see the first half completely made up of old material - a mixture of very old and very rarely played songs/tunes.  (Babbacombe Lee or L & L would fit the bill nicely but I'd settle for other stuff!)  Chris While as guest singer.   Cool

The second half would be completely made up of new material - a combination of songs/tunes written by band members and non-band members, with a few 'new' traditionals thrown in.   Shocked

The encore would consist of Matty Groves (done in the way Jim describes) and Meet On The Ledge.   Roll Eyes

I know it won't happen because it would require much rehearsal time, which has not been available as most band members have been busy with other projects right up to Christmas.   Cry

We've got tickets for Tunbridge Wells on 4th Feb.   Grin
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 11:59:23 AM »

Ooh, I do like these threads... Completely irrelevant to what we actually get, of course, but they while away the weeks... Smiley

What I'd  like would be something along the lines of an instrumental half and an old/rare stuff half.  Only having been to the last 3 tours there's loads and loads of stuff that used to be "overplayed" that I haven't actually heard live...

Tickets already acquired for The Stables on 8th Feb...  Dragging a couple of newbies with me, to see if their brains go fizzzz like mine did the first time.

Thinking about the newbies, a good selection of everything would be favourite!  But not the Deserter.

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2006, 05:51:33 PM »

But not the Deserter.

Which one, Sandy's or Simon's ?

I like them both incidentally, which just goes to show......

Steve
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2006, 06:35:02 PM »

I really would love to see/hear Simon doing (Don't Despise) The Deserter...it is one of my all time favourite tracks Smiley

mic

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: