TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:15:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic Connections  (Read 23734 times)
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2006, 07:37:06 PM »

two more

[attachment deleted by admin]
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2006, 07:40:57 PM »

Lovely Martin.. and great to see Peggy looking so happy Grin Grin

Thank you Kiss

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2006, 07:41:51 PM »

Many of you will know this Cropredy regular, David was in the front row celebrating his birthday, the chaps dedicated Canny Capers to him.

martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2006, 07:53:41 PM »

When we got back to the hotel, the fire brigade were in attendance, all the guests were standing outside in the cold. Fortunately most of them were pretty well fortified against the bitter chill, if you get my drift, so no one really minded. Whilst everyone huddled together for warmth, Simon ably assisted by Alan Thompson decided to sing an impromptu version of Roy Wood's "Run and get the Fire Brigade" with everyone joining in the chorus,                 well we enjoyed it !!!!  Grin.
Gez the sensible one, decided to forgo this singing extravaganza in favour of opening another bottle of Sauvignon.

Maart
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Northwest Wales

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2006, 10:34:51 PM »

When we got back to the hotel, the fire brigade were in attendance, all the guests were standing outside in the cold.

Last year there was a fire alarm went off at none o'clock in the morning. (Actually about 9am, but CC is a late night event more than just a concert thingy - Lunasa went onstage in the festival club the other night at 3:30am...) It was very interesting to see so many folk/folk-rock luminaries there gathered and to see what they'd decided to salvage from the room at such short notice. Everyone had their instrument and their laptop with them...

Maart - can't wait to get back there...
Auntiebobble

Loc: Cumbernauld, Scotland

Of The Clan McB

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2006, 12:52:54 AM »

Thanks Martin for the great photos, a lovely reminder of the night. David was totally made up with his dedication - what a lovely thing for the guys to do. Hope they get back to Scotland soon, Auntiebobble XXX

Beats the sh** out of camping!
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2006, 10:06:19 AM »

Excellent, excellent!  Great reviews everyone, and pics to boot!  Many thanks to all.

Yours vicariously,

Off to the FC website now to see what all the Croppers fuss is about...

@

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2006, 10:25:38 AM »

Excellent, excellent!  Great reviews everyone, and pics to boot!  Many thanks to all.

Yours vicariously,

Off to the FC website now to see what all the Croppers fuss is about...

@
Many thanks to all who posted reviews and photo's.  Really good to see Peggy back on board.  Glad the chaps gave you all a good time.  Many thanks to the McB's for representing the Cropredy crowd.   Grin  Fez

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2006, 11:35:35 AM »

It's Martyn Bennett Night, tonight!
The Martyn Bennett tribute evening was held in a different venue and had a later start time Cocker. As the FC gig finished at 10pm, some folks took the opportunity to attend both events. 

The Martyn Bennett Night - and I'm sorry I wasn't able to attend the peformance of some of his classical compositions that afternoon - was great. In parts.

The mixture of backing track and live playing was just right, I thought, and weighted towards the dance/trance aspect of things (and to be able to dance to "Harry's In Heaven" as live-ly as is possible was truly wonderful). So some of the finesse. the more delicate arrangements, was lost, but the night was geared towards a celebratory rowdiness of melody.

Some superb playing, and a high level of musicianship, and passion for the music.

After the main band, a combination of bagpipers and a samba band, which was pretty fab.

And then. The stiltwalkers - fabulously costumed - and the body-painted dreadlocked er "dancers".
Much unchoreographed writhing.

Now, I'm the first one to dance like a fool, but oh (insert grimacing smiley) we were embarrassed by them.

And there was the irrational, unavoidable sense of half expecting the boy himself. Let's raise a glass to him.

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
mikshaw

Loc: Newmilns Scotland

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2006, 03:37:36 PM »

as said before, the lads seemed to be in a happy place and it showed. the music was good, the banter with the crowd was excellent. I would say it's a long time since I've heard them as tight. Gerry Conway was at his best. I was and still am a DM fan but Gerry was on top form. At one point he did something a bit different than he had in the past and SN turned and nodded in agreement. I was going to give Cropredy a miss this year but as we have just found out Swarb will be there. I may have to have a change of plan and start saving
Mik
Jambo

Loc: Glasgow

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2006, 10:19:28 PM »

A great gig.

The audience was really up for and the band duly obliged.

Best I've heard them in a while. Peggy looked to be enjoying it again.

They don't play up in Scotland often enough.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: