TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:12:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport ACOUSTIC Convention, 15th November, Grays essex.  (Read 43477 times)
soundmanjim
n3wb

Loc: Corringham, Essex UK

Pass the gaffer tape please.

« on: September 27, 2005, 01:58:53 AM »

FAIRPORT (ACOUSTIC) CONVENTION
15TH NOVEMBER 2005
THE FAT SURFER
GRAYS WORKING MENS CLUB
79, LONDON ROAD, GRAYS ESSEX
RM17 5YF

Here at the fat Surfer we’ve been pulling a few strings.
Acoustic strings to be precise; managing to wangle  FAIRPORT CONVENTION to our little venue.
‘Big Deal’ you may think; but for me, and all the rest of us that work here, it’s a crowning achievement of 5 years of hard graft getting this club up and running and fit to host excellent bands such as these.

In fact, the bands manager and sound engineer, Mr Rob Braviner, thought we were having a joke with him when I sent him the begging e-mail!!

I explained the arrangement and reassured him that the venue wouldn’t be full of spiky haircuts and ripped jeans (hang on, maybe there will??) meaning the gig would not be a ‘normal’ Fat Surfer night.

Perhaps I should explain.

Over five years ago, a friend of mine, Steve Lawrence, also a musician, said that he thought that our local area was missing a decent music venue and did I want to help in putting that right?

I jumped at the chance.

It turned out that there was a working men’s’ club hall just nearby that was a bit down on its luck and wanted us to host some bands to get some beer money over the bar. We wouldn’t be charged for the hall and they would provide extra staff.
The first Gig we did was obviously a low turnout; a few people standing about wondering what was going on.

That was five years ago.

Now the place is packed every Friday night.

We provide a venue for all the local (and not so local) bands. They come here and play to an enthusiastic audience, and they get a few bob for their trouble. The people get to see a great up and coming band and also get to hear their favourite tunes. We get some money to bay back the loan for the new PA system!! Everybody’s happy.

We have hosted Bad Manners, Million Dead, Hayseed Dixie and are looking forward to seeing The Beat and Jerry Dammers from The Specials, along with The Levellers and hopefully the Sultans of Ping F.C.!
It’s been hard work. All the funds we raised on the door was put towards new gear and, gradually, we amassed the equipment and expertise we have now.

There’s one other thing.

The club isn’t run as a business; we are more like a family of musicians blowing our trumpets and having fun. None of us get paid. Girls on the till, guys doing the stage, people rushing around; we ALL do it because we love it; and I think that’s why we’ve come so far.

As we work under the umbrella of the workingmen’s club this also means the beers cheap; guaranteed to bring in the punters.

Other reasons why we have done so well is because of our position in the town, away from dwellings but only 2 minutes walk from the railway station.
We have a massive car park nearby which is empty after 6pm (and free after this time) and we are situated right opposite a petrol station, which has proved very handy when running out of cigarettes, food, tape etc!

Our aim is to provide Thurrock with a quality music venue and I think were just about there, judging by what people are telling me.

So what’s the Fairport angle then?
Well, yours truly is a full-on Fairport fan; so much so I run one of the fan sites on the Internet, Fairport fans.
Being a musician myself, I always enjoyed the Cropredy festival in Oxfordshire and its laid back family atmosphere, and have been going to that festival since 1989. Many times I watched the band play and though how great it would be to see them near our own home; and this did indeed come true a few years ago, as some of you may remember, as they played at the Hassenbrook school in Stanford le hope, which was, incidentally, my old stamping ground!!!

It was a great gig, and once we got the club up and running I vowed I would try and get the boys to play here.

Now I have.

All I need now are all you people out there to join me fulfilling my dream of putting on my favourite band at my own music venue.
Its going to be a fantastic night, as I guarantee you WONT see the boys this close up anywhere else around (except, perhaps at the bar!!).
It’s a very intimate venue (capacity 250), but there is a large bar and a friendly atmosphere, so whip those cheque-books out and send me £15 (per person) for your ticket to:

Fairport Grays Tickets
245, Crawley Close
Corringham
Essex
SS17 7JU

Make the cheque out to Mr J Henderson

Make sure you include a stamped addressed envelope and as soon as your cheque is cleared, we’ll send your tickets. Due to the nature of the booking I’m afraid we CANT sell any tickets at the door, so don’t leave it too late!!!

Have a look at www.thefatsurfer.com for more information on the gig and the venue in general, and to check our location.

I look forward to seeing you all soon.

This is probably going to be a one-off so don’t miss this opportunity to see the boys in action!!

Dont forget, don’t leave it too late!!!

Cheerio

Jim Henderson

Sound Engineer, the Fat Surfer Music Venue

P.S. i suppose youve all woked out that obviously i'm trying to drum up sales, and who can blame me? I'm taking a big personal financial risk here.  i'm sure i'll sell all the tickets and all will be well wit the world. Also, if i didnt advertise here and you missed the gig and wanted to go, you wouldnt be very happy would you? So here it is.
I am not worried about profit; this is my dream come true so as long as i cover the bands fee im fine!!! Grin

P.P.S. If theres enough demand i'll get the bar manager to put on some cask ales especially for the night. let me know if you think this will be a good idea, and if yes, what should we have? 6X???

Jim The Soundman, freelance sound engineer, can engineer YOUR gig!!
DONT DRINK AND DRIVE...EVER
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 05:58:30 AM »

Good luck, sounds like it'll be a great night!

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 08:10:48 AM »

Received my tickets for this last week!  Wink Good on yer!  Grin

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 08:18:37 AM »

Prepare for a squeeze. Rumour has it that Gerry is playing on all of the Acoustic gigs.  Grin

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 08:20:09 AM »

Sorry, already booked that night to see live acting entertainment featuring one of our young village lads. Good luck for the evening.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 08:44:38 AM »

What time's kick-off? And is there any support act?

Kris

Mandolin owner...

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 01:49:38 PM »

Hi Jim!  Looking forward to this one - sent you a cheque last week!!!

My missus has just called me to ask you to put some decent cider on!!!  I hate the stuff  Tongue, so 6X for me if there are enough takers!!! If not I'll try and drink it on my own, just to help you out of course Grin

See you there,

Kris
James SftBH
Tertiary Donna
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Posh North Essex

Freedom is not just a word; it is an activity.

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 02:12:50 PM »

Ah yes...Jim...can I suggest a small brewer in South Woodham Ferrers for some beer? Champion Beer 2005 and all that. I'm a bit biased cos I work there. Crouch Vale Brewery 01245 322744.

Hopefully you got an email from me with a vague enquiry about a support slot. C'mon people....tell him we're nice.

Always trust your cape.
www.songsfromthebluehouse.com
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 02:18:28 PM »

Oh yes!!! Great idea! SftBH - very good indeed!!!! That would be excellent!  Cool

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 02:21:34 PM »

Great idea about SftBH, book them now.

Jackdaw
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 02:22:32 PM »

Yup I'll third that!!

Jude

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 02:44:26 PM »

...and me... book them...

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 05:37:38 PM »

Good luck with the ale James, old boy, but isn't PJ Wright supporting on the tour... Huh
Skirky

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 05:44:24 PM »

Good luck with the ale James, old boy, but isn't PJ Wright supporting on the tour... Huh
Skirky

Isn't that the Winter tour? Or is this Autumn tour the same thing as the Winter tour?

I can't work it out...............

Jude

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 06:00:02 PM »

Quite correct Jude, PJ on winter tour  Wink

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 06:01:31 PM »

So is Fairport Acoustic (with or without Gerry  Roll Eyes) the Autumn Tour or the Wintour then?Huh

Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 06:02:38 PM »

Autumn tour JJ  Fez

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 06:05:11 PM »

Thanks BD - therefore there may be a space for SftBH??  Huh Grin

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 06:11:01 PM »

Unlikely - FC usually play the whole evening, roughly two 1-hour sets.

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2005, 06:47:31 PM »

Oh, and of course, bloody well done Jim and congratulations on an ambition ticked off  Smiley  Fez Looks like all the hard work paid off  Cheesy I'll make a point of keeping an eye on the site for expeditions to make in future.
Cheers
Skirky

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: