TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:02:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport ACOUSTIC Convention, 15th November, Grays essex.  (Read 43472 times)
soundmanjim
n3wb

Loc: Corringham, Essex UK

Pass the gaffer tape please.

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2005, 11:36:48 AM »

ok people, no more cheques please, if you want tickets phone me (07711 306812) and i'll reserve them for you to collect on the door. only 40 tickets left. check the website for details on getting to gryas and info of the general area and the club at this link:

http://www.fatsurfer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/DIRECTIONS.htm

hope to see you all next week.

actually the rider is sandwiches, a few bottles of wine and some mineral water, in case anyone was wondering!!!

Jim The Soundman, freelance sound engineer, can engineer YOUR gig!!
DONT DRINK AND DRIVE...EVER
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2005, 08:06:25 PM »

Good work Jim! Looks like you might get away without having to remortgage.... Grin
Have a great night and, obviously, if there's any tapes from the desk going afterwards..... Roll Eyes

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Bertil B

Loc: Lulea, Sweden

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2005, 10:14:41 PM »

Í'm looking forward to this.
My last going to a Fairport gig was the beer festival at Pump Bottom Farm more than a year ago.
The Beer was great.
The Fairport fans were very friendly.
Finally the gig was great.
Looks like this is going to be just as good.
Bertil B
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2005, 11:57:26 AM »

I'll see all and sundry there!  If it's as cold as today I will be wearing my rainbow striped jumper!

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2005, 10:27:33 AM »

OK, no rainbow jumper, it wouldn't fit into my bag.  2005 Cropredy t-shirt instead (that'll be for camoflage then).  I'm gonna try to be there well early, so I can find somewhere to get out of the thermal bike gear.  So with any luck I'll be in the bar already when everyone else arrives! 

Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2005, 10:29:21 AM »

Have fun you lot!  Grin

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2005, 10:32:21 AM »

OK, no rainbow jumper, it wouldn't fit into my bag.  2005 Cropredy t-shirt instead (that'll be for camoflage then).  I'm gonna try to be there well early, so I can find somewhere to get out of the thermal bike gear.  So with any luck I'll be in the bar already when everyone else arrives! 

Will look out for you at the bar then Anna! See you later.

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
soundmanjim
n3wb

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2005, 10:51:06 AM »

just to let you all know i have officially broken even!! hurrah!

also we have tickets that can be purchased on the door so if you still haven't got yours, theres about 40 left that can be picked up tonight.
must go, got to buy a coffee maker and make some sandwiches!!!

see you all tonight, I'll be the one looking worried with the hair and the beard!

rachel

Loc: Sheffield

not a llama

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2005, 11:09:34 AM »

just to let you all know i have officially broken even!! hurrah!

Many congratulations and have a great night. Don't worry so much that you forget to enjoy it Smiley

rachel
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2005, 12:44:09 PM »

Greetings from Germany to everybody.  Tiara
Have a great night  Kiss
Kris

Mandolin owner...

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2005, 03:44:04 PM »

Have a good one everybody who's going tonight... I'll be lurking in the shadows as usual....... Wink
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2005, 04:50:40 PM »

I’m off to see my fav’rites
The wonderful Fairport at Grays
With soundmanjim and you, me and them
We’ll have a marvellous time
Tonight, today, a marvellous time!
They’re happy as kings, they crowd’s there too
With us, and them, and fun, and friends
Fair-port!!! With the excellent music they play
I’m off to see my fav’rites
The wonderful Fairport at Grays

OK, coat's on, I'm sooooo outta here!

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2005, 05:29:03 PM »

Have a great time all of you.. you lucky things!!!

AmyJen

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
soundmanjim
n3wb

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2005, 01:12:08 AM »

wow! what an amazing gig! and i finally got to meet the inimitable mr braviner. a really decent chap, i had a chat with the guys after the gig and they thoroughly enjoyed themselves, as did we.

i spent most of the night shaking hands with people!

lovely to meet Bertil from sweden, and again i apologise to Fairport as this place is flippin' hard to find!!
poor old gerry went around the roundabout outside the club in his volvo about four times before i realised it was him . bless!

actually got to play with the faders for 2 minutes while Rob went to the bog.( Imagine that on my CV....did sound for fairport blah blah!!)

Hope ric managed to find somewhere to stash all the rasins and nuts i bought for them (honestly he's like a hampster!)

all in all it was a fantastic night and im pretty sure the boys all know who i am now!!! looking forward to linking up with them again in the summer. (and i know who theyve got lined up for croppers but im sworn to secrecy; lets just say my jaw dropped when they told me . Heh!! i love secrets!!!) you just wait! you WILL be amazed. i am!

thats it. im off to bed!!

oh by the way; i took some pretty poor pictures tonight; does anyone on here who went have any they can send me? i would be most grateful as i'd like a few nice ones to put on the website.

cheerio until the next time!

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2005, 07:49:56 AM »

Well Jim, after eventually finding the club ourselves after walking the streets  Wink  we had a supurb evening which looked to me to be very well attended. We were lucky enough to walk in and get front row seats. Met Anna from this Board, saw Bertil too during the interval (I think) standing near the stage?

Fairport were so relaxed and obviously enjoying this great atmosphere! This was the best Fairport evening I have ever been to, the crowd were so responsive, it felt like a Cropredy convention, there were so many t.shirts worn by Festival attenders who clapped and cheered and responded so well.

The chaps were seated throughout, although I felt Ric found this quite hard!!! Hiring Fair is always a favourite for me but for it to continue with the most amazing fiddle playing and then to drift into 'Summer Time' was breathtaking. But to see Gerry 'close up' was so good, the man is a genius, watching him play so well with all his 'tinkly' bits and hand movements made me realise just how much of him we miss when he is further back on the stage!

Thanks to top class musicians, a great venue, a wonderful evening! Well done Soundmanjim! (I have some photos which I am e-mailing to you)

Matty is still on sabbatical!

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2005, 09:09:45 AM »

all in all it was a fantastic night and im pretty sure the boys all know who i am now!!! looking forward to linking up with them again in the summer. (and i know who theyve got lined up for croppers but im sworn to secrecy; lets just say my jaw dropped when they told me . Heh!! i love secrets!!!) you just wait! you WILL be amazed. i am!

Ooh you tease you! Shocked  Wink Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2005, 09:41:50 AM »

FAB!!!

Wanted to catch up with you after, soundmanjim, but once I'd got changed back into the bike gear I really couldn't hang around inside for very long...  And you were upstairs.  But next time we meet I'll definitely get you a pint or three.  And thanks for the use of the store room for getting changed.  It makes all the difference not having to cart the bike kit around all the time. Smiley

I'll write a full review later when I've got a bit more time, but for now - FAB!!!  2nd everything JJ said.

"The Rosehip" is now my next target for trying to persuade my band to play...  So long as it's in one of the songbooks!

Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2005, 01:09:05 PM »

We got lost trying to find this place but everyone was very warm and welcoming when we finally arrived.

No 'Over the Lancashire Hills' which was a disappointment but we had John Gaudie instead to make up for it.

High points - Summertime, Now Be Thankful, I'm Already There and Here There Everywhere.

Low point - Close to the Wind.  I love this song but I think something went wrong in the middle.

Well done to soundmanjim for organising this gig and to the boys for a crackin' performance!
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2005, 02:07:13 PM »

Quick hint Jim - if you tell people you're opposite Morrisons  petrol station, rather than just a  petrol station, it'll probably make you easier to find.  You can't miss Morrisons, it's mostly is  Grays...

Kris

Mandolin owner...

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2005, 02:43:28 PM »

We came, we lurked, we danced at the back to John Gaudie!  Grin Grin Grin

Great night, congratulations to Jim!  You have a great venue with great sound and atmosphere.

PS Nice to meet you Anna, very briefly at the end!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: