TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:37:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Positively Speaking!  (Read 72143 times)
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« on: August 15, 2005, 04:27:09 PM »

A lot of horrible things happened this year, but there were good things as well.
So, for me the personal positives were... (in no particular order)

My faith in the innate goodness of the majority was restored
I re-met and met lots of fun, friendly, warm people
Having had a really lousy year, I could meet with the people that got me through it upright (as opposed to in a box)
I exorcised a pretty significant ghost (I heard that Delfini Wink)
I was taken to another place by amazing music
(and on a really personal note...I largely ignored the existence of the 'Boots the Chemist' that I have to cart around with me everywhere Grin.....oh alright, I know I shouldn't be smug about that one, but I am anyway Cheesy)

Mic - a happy bunny

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 04:48:40 PM »

Great topic Mic!  Cool

My blood pressure is back to what passes for normal after a very relaxing weekend.
My sister who was attending Cropredy for the first time really enjoyed herself.
It didn't rain when Richard Thompson was playing - So who shall we blame for the deluge on Saturday?
I didn't get a serious hangover despite trying very hard to do so.
Peggy said "See you next year"

Cheers
Dunc

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
rachel

Loc: Sheffield

not a llama

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 04:50:59 PM »

I didn't see a single wasp Grin

rachel
Dannny
n3wb

Loc: Dorking

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 05:45:25 PM »

Second time for me and really enjoyed it again!!! Music was fantastic .. a good mix ..the weather was, well weather!... it was great to see most people unperturbed and smiling, even when it was belting it down....and I love the efficiency of everyones waterproofing.. there are some really well prepared people at Cropredy!! ... nice to be home with the comfy bed and hot shower but ROLL ON NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!

You are disoriented. Blackness swims toward you like a school of eels who have just seen something that eels like a lot.....
foxylady

Loc: Gloucestershire

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 05:45:59 PM »

You're right Rachel, no wasps! Cheesy only just realised that!
Got to Cropredy on Thursday morning with no hassle and managed to get on Field 5 - just! and that was at 9.30am!
Friday was a lovely, sunny day, and it got quite hot in the afternoon.
The music was great.
The Indian food stall was addictive.
My friend and her children came for the first time and had such a good time that they are going to return next year.
My son only argued with me once.
If I had a hangover, I didn't notice it.
My mobile phone wouldn't work Wink
The van started first time on Sunday morning.
It was wonderful to leave all the hassles of the 'real world' behind

The Sun WILL shine
Foxy
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 05:47:56 PM »

I didn't see a single wasp Grin

rachel
I did see a single wasp. just one solitary one on the Friday.  I was worried it would return with its mates, but it probably got swatted by someone further along the field.

We had no incidents other than some noisy people nearby, but its a festival and they were probably better behaved then when I was younger Lips Sealed

All in all the four of us decided that we will be coming next year.  Though we will be bring a lot less gear, having now found the breakfast places etc.

Mark (Tired but still happy)

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 11:43:58 AM »

OK. We have had the negatives on the other thread. Now the good bits.

Cropredy happened - hurrah.

We heard some great music, camped with some wonderful people, met and drank with even more wonderful people, talked absolute rubbish for hours on end, laughed a LOT, ate lots of good food and some of us even managed to stay clean.

The two Cropredy virgins we had with us thought it was one of the best weekends ever, and can't wait for next year.

At the end of the day that was what counted, and is why we will all be back next year.

Thank you so much to everyone for the good times. It all just went much too fast.

Sandra

Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 11:51:31 AM »

I chatted with two of the young girls (mid-teens) who were with one of my neighbours. One had visited previously, her friend had not....

'What did you think ?', I asked... 'Was it like you imagined ?'

'No' came the reply... 'It was better than I had imagined'...... and of they went with smiling faces and pink fluffy ears ..... surely just a small step away from a tiara   Grin Bless their hearts.  Fez

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 11:55:44 AM »

We also had with us not only a Cropredy virgin but a complete (entire ? Roll Eyes ) festival virgin who loved it so much she'll be back next year, and she'll no doubt sample a few others with us in the mean time  Grin

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Paul JM UK

Loc: Cheshire

more important than life and death...

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 12:07:22 PM »

Ditto here - collared by a bloke on the way into the field on Friday - didn't look very folkie, (but then neither do I), but he struck up conversation.  Said he's been coming last few years - didn't think music was his cup of tea, and his mates thought he was mad, but "he just thought it was wonderful"

Said "there was nowhere else he'd rather be right now"

"So fine a breath of wind might blow her away..."

http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 12:12:55 PM »

This year my son enjoyed the festival itself much more than previous years. He couldn't stop talking about it as we went back to the van Saturday night. He went down the front during several acts, and also made a lot of new friends when doing circus skills at the top of the field.

Paul

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 12:37:43 PM »

Personally, I reckon it was one of the best festivals I've ever been to.  Fez

Eclectic music, eclectic weather, good food, wonderful company, new friends, (oh, and the chance to hear an excellent sounding pre-release of the new album from a certain prominent board member  Lips Sealed  Cool ) What more could anyone ask for?

The Fez/Tiara thing is just hysterical - this year and last I really felt I was a part of the festival, not just a punter. I really appreciate that.

The thing is, it's a festival. It's a gathering of thousands and thousands of people in strange circumstances to celebrate in ways that are totally different from everyday life. Festivals are amazing things and Cropredy is still the best of them. To next year!

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
volario

Loc: Chorley, Lancashire

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 12:39:24 PM »

Got onto Field 5 (just) which was lovely and quiet at night and near but not too near the loos  Grin
Friendly camping neighbours  Grin
Lovely clean toilets all weekend  Cheesy
Sat outside the Brasenose on Thursday afternoon, sun shining, pint in hand, baby fast asleep in pram....... Cheesy
22 month old daughter dancing away to RT at 10.00pm at night, pointing and waving at the stars  Grin

We WILL be back .............   Kiss
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 12:46:29 PM »

Came along with 9 Cropredy virgins who all had a fab time despite the Saturday rain and can't wait again until next year. Some of them had never been to a festival at all before but they all agreed that the laid back atmosphere and the friendly people were something they didn't think still existed in this day and age. Total escape.
Thankyou Peggy-Full Simon-Full Ric-Full Gerry-Full Chris-Full for a fantastic 3 days and a blinding last few hours Kiss- all over far too quick!

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 01:08:12 PM »

We had no Cropredy virgins with us this year.
As a bunch  of Cropredy veterans, we all agreed it was as good as ever!
Positive points for me:-
-It was on
-The important people were there (you lot  Fez)
-Spending time with son and heir
-Camping and taking life easy with my closest fiends
-The music, most of it fact, despite peoples personal preferences we did get to see / hear some brilliant / accomplished musicians

I've said it in the Thank you thread, but special thanks to you lot for being such jolly good folks!

All in all .......................Brill!  Grin

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005, 01:10:31 PM »

Ok, some good stuff....

- The toilets were much cleaner than last year, even on Sunday morning!
- The food was gorgeous, and healthy, I could happily have all my meals forever at Cropredy
- The sound was much better than last year, and if you wished you could have your insides rearranged by the bass  Grin
- RT, Tickled Pink and the Dylan Project were far better than I expected
- Fairport, RT, Maart and all the guests (well, most) were technically suberb and a visual treat
- The lighting was second to none
- Greenpeace were allowed a pitch, which was a really nice touch by the organisers  Smiley
- There was no cow poo
- There were no wasps
- The family field was quiet (at least from within the field itself)
- There were loads of board members and some really nice beer to share with them (MikeC, I owe you a pint)

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Suzanne
I have their verdicts in writing

"Mum" to Bentley's Ben and Barnaby

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2005, 01:36:20 PM »

Very positive weekend:

- met lots of new friends
- got some nice new clothes (pity I can't wear them to work; I think we need a bit of colour in this office)
- Finally got the chance to chill out at the bar with certain performers (they know who they are)
- Toilets were better than I've seen before (although the blue bleach was still eye-watering)
- Food was nice and edible
- On the whole (with only 2 exceptions), a good, diverse selection of performers and some real treats in it as well

Bring on 2006!
Auntiebobble

Loc: Cumbernauld, Scotland

Of The Clan McB

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2005, 01:44:53 PM »

Well done Mic for starting this - I was despairing at the volumes of moans!
It was lovely to meet you and the others at Barnstones - didn't get enough time to talk so hope for more next year!(At least we will recognise each other!)
As always we had a fantastic year - in response to previous criticism the Clan were very quiet and well behaved and sorry if they upset people last year.
Great music, very good company, lovely food, good shopping, clean loos, nice relaxed atmosphere and FUN, FUN, FUN.  Grin Isn't that what it's all about?Huh
Auntiebobble X

Beats the sh** out of camping!
Pete Gray
Totally Scuppered

Loc: Coal Aston, Dronfield - Nr. Sheffield

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2005, 01:56:38 PM »

Got the chance to dance with my 14 year old daughter who just loved the groove of the Fairport set last 30 minutes - we were down in "the mosh pit" Excellent stuff (sorry about those who were behind her when we hoisted her up high)

Brilliant event, keep it up please we'll be back !

Paul JM UK

Loc: Cheshire

more important than life and death...

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2005, 02:07:44 PM »

I certainly hope the FC boys are reading this

My positives

1. That it took place at all, and was "virtually" unchanged from previous years
2. Great beer as always (and also thanks to Braze, Red Lion and the Pav)
3. Superb food selection (see thred on Croppers food)
4. Great mix of musical styles - whilst FC were not rocking in the first part of the set (but soon did) I found the whole deal to be a lot "bluesier" than in some years.  Add in a smattering of Dub, Reggae and quite a bit of folk, and you get a mix, suitably different from other years, that will, I think, stand out for some time.  I agree with other posts here - lighting was fantastic
5. Fields seemed pretty clear, mud and poo free on arrival
6. No wasps! (I'd love to thank Fairport for this, but I think that is more down to mama nature)
7. Test match was on in the Pav
8. Stewards and scouts were, in my experience, friendly and jolly - love the signs!
9. Nice mix of stalls - still bit too much junk for the kids, but seemed to be, just, you know... more!  (two musical instrument stores for a start!!)
10. Friendly people (99% of the time!)
11. Toilets were cleaner than usual - seemed to be restocked regularly
12. whilst we had a little rain - no mud!
13. Got there at a time I thought was too early, but they let us in to get a superb pitch
14. Despite any bother that may have gone on with the Banbury crowd - the villagers were as welcoming and involved as ever (big thanks!)

"So fine a breath of wind might blow her away..."

http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: