TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:53:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Show of Hands - Match report  (Read 35856 times)
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« on: November 28, 2004, 01:31:30 AM »

Now the Lowry Quays theatre is my kind of place.  The bar-staff dress in dickie bows and white shirts, the pre-show scoff is a treat, and what’s more, it’s accessible from all points north and south of the Greater Manchester conurbation by tram.  When I first came to these parts, this was a waste-land.  The rats were the size of cats and it stank.   Now it is transformed.  On the left, across the water, is the great Imperial War Museum of the North.   Behind it is the Theatre of Dreams, Old Trafford, home of Manchester United.  To the right is the dreaded Designer Outlet Mall, where the young Peels spend my cash on Whistles frocks and Republic of Ireland rugby kit from Cotton Traders.  In front of us is the Lowry Centre - home not only to our beloved son’s great paintings and sketches, but also the magnificent theatres.    The Quay theatre is probably my favourite venue for folk gigs - sumptuous red velvet seats and cosily intimate, yet holding a good sized audience.  It reminds me of the place that hosted ‘the Good Old Days’ - a music hall - with two,  or is it three tiers of people leaning over their balconies. 

The Peel party were in the second row, in the middle.  I had persuaded three other couples to join us, after preparing samplers for them.   

Are there any superlatives left? Yes I think there are.  Mr. Knightley acknowledged that this was one of the big nights of the Tour.  So many people uplifted by the  music - Sir Philip de Beer must have had three spontaneous rounds of applause for the sheer beauty of his pieces.  Lord Knightley of Topsham was greeted with admiration and adulation for his superb singing and those sublimely crafted songs with a kick.  They catch you in the throat and your heart.  They creep up on you unawares.  How does he reach the parts that others cannot reach?   He sang us a new one that he had finished off during a lull in his hectic schedule, at Chester.  What was it?  Tell me, someone.  It’s floating around my subconscious and I need to know toute suite, if not sooner.  Embarressed to say, I cried once again , at The Setting and Mary of Dungloe.  That’s the deal when you’re the offspring of Irish Immigrants.  Cry 

Miranda Sykes took the stage.  Or was it? I had seen her and been smitten with her at Cropredy (and at the risk of having a clip round my ear from Lady Peel, I admit to having her portrait on my office wall in the bowels of Talkawhile)  but here was a taller, slimmer, gorgeous apparition.   It has been said elsewhere that she contributes much depth she contributes to the SOH sound  (go to the Longdogs site) - and they are right. But she came into her own during the song ' Blue Cockade'.  ’Tis a heart-rending and beautiful song, that SOH do most marvellously - but come on, chaps - ’tis a girl’s song, and Miranda is the girl what can sing it.   

This time last year, I had not seen Show of Hands.  Now I am an expert.  The merchandise stall was packed with newbies who didn’t know their Galway Farmer from Cousin Jack.  The unfortunate stall-operative was besieged.  I found myself helping people choose the right CD.  They wanted Santiago, Crow on the Cradle, Blind Fiddler, Crooked Man, Country Life, Crazy Boy, Be Lucky, Corrina Corrina and more and more, but I had a ball pointing them in the right direction.  I got the feeling that Show of Hands have now reached another level - we shall probably never see them more at the Bury Met or Shaw Theatre, Oldham  They are hotter than that it would appear from this gig.  Yes - next time, they’ll be at the Bridgewater in Manchester.  The hard work and effort of all those festivals, gigs, and air-play on local radio has finally paid off. 

During the gig I unexpectedly met lots of colleagues who greeted me with the same phrase - ’I didn’t know you were a Show of Hands fan, Peel - fancy seeing you here!’  There must have been about 30 of us.  Later we adjourned to a hostelry in Old Salford.  The Landlady had tattoos on her neck and muscle on her spit.  In Lady Peel’s handbag there is a copy of ’Covers’.   Tomorrow I tee off on the first hole at my golf club at noon.  Rain is expected, but I shall look the Bees blimmin’ Knees with my Show of Hands brolly.  Thank you chaps, for an unforgettable night.

Peel   
Keith Taylor
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 12:17:18 PM »

Oh Sir Bob what a great review of the lovely misters Knightley and Beer.. or Jesus and the Toby Jug as a dear but now sadly departed good friend used to call them (with great affection I might add!)

I wish I'd seen the brollies...  I would have asked for an early Ch*****as pressie if I had!

Amy Wink

Oh I love that description! Yes a Great Review of a Great Concert!

I'll echo that comment on the comforts and sheer style of The Lowry. Lovely place. Much as I enjoyed the Pacific Road concert the night before, The Lowry one was really special.

For fellow North-Westerners, if SOH withdrawal sympton symptons set in, look out for Joseph & Knightley in Birkenhead & Bury in early April, and Show of Hands at Biddulph on 5th May and Lancaster on 6th May. Indeed, if you go into "What's On" on Longgogs there is a link to web ordering for the Lancaster gig. It's at the Chaplaincy Centre of the University, which is quite appropriate given the description in the quote!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 12:27:58 PM by Keitht » Logged
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 12:04:29 PM »

I can only echo Sir Bob's sentiments - SoH were on top form at the Lowry.  Unlike Sir Bob I've been a SoH fan for a number of years (I've actually seen them three times this year) and Saturday nights gig was probably one of the best, if not THE best, I've ever seen then perform.

Turning the award-winning duo into a trio with the addition of the lovely Miranda is inspired.  She adds another layer to the songs with her bass playing - witness how powerful 'The Oak' now sounds - and she's got one hell of a voice to boot.

I hope we didn't damage the roof too much during 'Santiago'.  Wink
Dunc

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 12:41:23 PM »

I am new to the music of Show of Hands, but thanks to all the good things I've read about them on this Board, have now bought my ticket for their gig at the Grand Theatre, Swansea next April.  Greatly looking forward to it.  Smiley

Gower flower

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 01:01:52 PM »

I am new to the music of Show of Hands, but thanks to all the good things I've read about them on this Board, have now bought my ticket for their gig at the Grand Theatre, Swansea next April.  Greatly looking forward to it.  Smiley

Gower flower

I'm sure you'll enjoy it - Watch out though SoH are addictive. Wink

What ever you do don't go up to Mr Knightley and inform him you're a SoH virgin Shocked - It appears that he gets very embarrassed whenever this happens.  Embarrassed

Cheers
Dunc

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
Folkie (Jen)
Cropredy Princess

Loc: South Wales

I'm a teacher now...

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 01:56:29 PM »

Gower flower

It's tonight and I can't wait to go. Are you going to be there gower_flower? Any other board members maybe?

Jen

*Cropredy princess Wink *
(Hey! I have a custom title!!!!!)
you dream too much
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 02:28:59 PM »

Yep, I will be there Jen! Grin

Gower flower Wink

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 04:30:11 PM »

Thanks for resurrecting this thread girls!  Galway Farmer eh?  Blue Cockade...  Classic songs, must get hold of a CD methinks...

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Folkie (Jen)
Cropredy Princess

Loc: South Wales

I'm a teacher now...

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 11:40:01 AM »

Last night's gig was very good. It was in the Arts Wing of the Grand Theatre and if the gig could sell out, I think it was a sell out. They had to bring in extra chairs.

The boys played songs from their current album "Country Life" as well as various songs from their back repertoires.
The audience was good, they joined in for the choruses and provided nice harmonies for a few songs.

All in all, a very pleasant evening. And if you get the chance to see them on their tour, go and see them!!!

Jen

PS: gower_flower, I did see you but didn't get the chance to talk to you. Roll on Gower Folk Festival now. Smiley

*Cropredy princess Wink *
(Hey! I have a custom title!!!!!)
you dream too much
pauled

Loc: Swansea

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 05:06:19 PM »

As usual, excellent SOH gig. Throughly enjoyable evening.

Paul

A holiday, a holiday and the BEST one of the year!
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 12:40:54 AM »

Listen, will you all stop saying how good SOH hands are please!!!!!!!!!!!

As I was working away from home I didn't order a ticket in time and now find out they are sold out  Angry Angry  Embarrassed

Anyone got a spare ticket for Worden Arts Centre in Leyland on the 8th May by any chance  Tongue

cheers

MikeC

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 12:28:41 AM »

No need to panic folks, I know you have been looking at ways to get me a ticket for Leyland but I've managed to get one for Lancaster so you can all stand down. Thank you for all your sterling efforts.

whatya mean you have bothered  Shocked

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 03:07:34 PM »

Don't forget that you can see them at the Oxford Folk Festival on Sunday 15th May.

Day and single concert tickets now on sale.

Sandra

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 03:24:13 PM »

and they are appearing at De Montford Hall Big Session festival 17-19th June  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2005, 09:44:28 PM »

Things did not bode well when my carriage joined a queue of mechanically propelled vehicles that crawled from Chorley to Preston at 15mph. Passing the Blackpool turnoff we picked up speed to 20 mph, but there was still another 20 miles to Lancaster and just 20 minutes to go. I abandoned the carriage in a Permit-Holders only bay (hey, I’ve got a permit holder - just haven’t got a permit) and ran towards the ticket-checker shouting: ’Make way, make way, I am a celebrated and esteemed Talkawhile Reviewer and this is an emergency.’ Crept into a seat as the chaps took to the stage, sat back, and let the cares of my journey on the blimmin’ M6, wash over me.

Tonight , young Knightley unveiled a brand new song. I shall say nothing more about it because I don’t know the title. Perhaps it’s so new that it hasn’t got a title. Perhaps the title was given, but I’m as deaf as duvet and missed it. Let’s just call it ’Finished at Biddulph.’ Here we have an atmospheric adventure story that is exciting, dramatic, sounds personal, reflective, and at the last verses, intensely moving. Ah yes, a demn good song if ever I heard one.

The first set started off with one of Peel’s top 10 Show of Hands songs - three cheers for the 'Bristol Slaver'. If there’s one song that can showcase the style, song-writing skills, and musical talents of Show of Hands then this is it. And it’s a terrific horror story, too. The rest of the set was largely a celebration of their influences and heroes.  The set List had been posted on the Longdogs, Show of Hands fansite but there were quite a few changes to earlier set-lists - more of that anon.  Angry
We finished the set with a rousing rendition of 'Cousin Jack' and the lights went up. It was my first chance to take a good look at the venue. I had been sitting in a warm, light space with rich acoustics. It was an Anglican Chapel made of seasoned wood - almost in-the-round like an amphitheatre, with huge floor-to-ceiling windows, surrounding us. Simply divine. 

A terrific bar and provisions stall had been set up in the foyer, with well-organised young women dealing promptly and efficiently with the queues. All proceeds were being given to charity, so it seemed like a good idea to quaff both a can of Coke and a Sprite to wash down a packet of Bombay mix, and stock up on the chocolate covered peanuts. The peanuts are threatening to break my dentures as I write - but no matter, a Longdog overcomes the pain to bring his friends all the commentary and news as it breaks. So, let’s get back into the chapel for the second half.

The seat beside me had been vacant, but was now occupied by a mature student with a very heavy cold. He looked like Ross Kemp’s fatter, younger brother and he said that he was taking a break from revision. I reminded him that mobile phones had to be switched off . When the set resumed he shifted uncomfortably in his seat - snorting, sniffing, scratching parts of himself that he oughtn‘t to in good company, yawning and looking constantly at his mobile phone, which, mercifully was switched to silent. To be frank, I wanted to snot him,  Angry  as we say in Manchester,#
but he was doing a good job of drowning in nasal fluids by himself. Young Beer came to the front of the stage and introduced Cyril Tawney’s Wide Funnel. Ross stopped scratching his three piece suite.
The verses alternated between Beer and Knightley with the audience singing the chorus most beautifully. Kemp Junior joined in. I smiled at him: ’You liked that one, didn’t you?’
‘I suppose I did.’ he smiled back, ’I’m not really into folk. Don’t know much about it, really. But that was good. Yeah, that was OK.’

Steve K. sang 'Romeo and Juliet' and Ross didn’t think it was as good as Knofler’s.
’Blimey, so you’re an expert now, are you?’ I said, ’Have you heard Knofler sing his version live and acoustic? No, I bet you haven’t, boy.  I’m telling you that this is better.’ He shrugged and started scratching again. I looked away and sighed heavily.

He wasn’t sure what was going on when Beer and Knightley returned for their Widecombe Fair spot, into a gloomy hall without benefit of microphones and electric accoutrements. He applauded enthusiastically at the end though. ’You liked that one, too’. I said ’We’ll make a folkie of you, yet.’ He gave me a funny look.

I remained in my seat with the rest of the audience and we clapped as the chaps walked out. ‘Hey,’ I said to no-one in particular, ‘what happened to 'Country Life'. What about 'Country Life'? Aren’t we going to get 'Country Life'? It's on the Set-list, and I demand a rendition of 'Country Life'
I was obviously not on the set-list.  Cry   
It had probably been squeezed out by some other number, and quite frankly, there wasn’t a weak song/instrumental that I would have discarded. I stopped clapping and protesting when people starting stacking chairs and gathering rubbish, around me.  Wink

Highlights of the night? There were three for me. The first was the song ‘Finished at Biddulph’ or whatever it’s called. The second was the superb ‘Courting is a Pleasure.’ S. Knightley has a voice that delivers traditional songs most mellifluously, while P. Beer provides a stunning slide guitar arrangement. The combination of the two provides a sound that breaks one’s heart. The third was the spectacular venue of the Chaplaincy Centre within Lancaster University, and the hospitality and unrivalled service provided by the organisers. Yes, top marks to organisers.

Sir Robert Peel
Talkawhile's man on the spot, Lancaster.

tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: West Sussex

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2005, 11:00:20 AM »

Thank you for an excellent review Sir Bob. We're seeing them on Thursday in Cranleigh.  Grin

Anyone know how much the brollies are?

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2005, 12:20:40 PM »

I think I paid a tenner for mine, but that was a while ago, when they first appeared.

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2005, 12:25:01 PM »

Thank you for an excellent review Sir Bob. We're seeing them on Thursday in Cranleigh.  Grin

Anyone know how much the brollies are?

When I saw them earlier in the year at Barking there were no brollies for sale  Sad

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: West Sussex

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2005, 12:08:36 AM »

Back from the gig in Cranleigh.
BTW - you need to get to Cranleigh early to park - we didn't.

Small, intimate venue, good acoustics, good view. Both lads in good voice and good spirits.

Don't ask me about the set list - i can never remember these things, but it's all probably been given elsewhere. Many old favourites, a couple I hadn't heard before but I am fairly new to SoH.

The quips and witticisms flowed between numbers and kept the audience laughing, though, apart from some whoops I thought they were a fairly sober bunch, not loud enough for me quite to sing my heart out in 'cousin Jack' (I'd promised not to embarrass my friends.)

The interval came round quickly - time for me to spend all my birthday money plus at the merch stand, brolly purchased ready for a certain wet field in August. ( & time enough for me to crawl around on my hands and knees to find out where the magnet off my fez badge had gone - located eventually stuck tom the metal panel at the bottom of the door. Friends duely embarrassed!)

Into the second half, with solo spots. What a superb voice Mr Beer has, and how well Mr K does Romeo & Juliet. this half seemed even shorter! Finishing with 'country life' and then 'Widdecombe fair' and 'are we still all right' as encores - short term memory seems OK.

Rushed out to get my book signed only to somehow find myself on the wrong end of a long queue and my lift needing to leave. So once again I left without speaking to either of them but having spent an excellent and wonderfully ejoyable evening.

And so to bed.

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2005, 11:39:08 AM »

Sorry about th badge Tarda. They are all checked before they go out - they only come off if you knock them but survive most dancing.

Glad you had a good time, we're going to see them at the High Barn on 26th. Hope they play "Cars".

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: