TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:29:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Show of Hands - Match report  (Read 36223 times)
tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: West Sussex

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2005, 05:50:58 PM »

no probs Keith - I'm going through a clumsy phase!

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2005, 10:56:31 PM »

Havant Arts Centre - Friday 13th May

I think the best I have ever seen Show of Hands, they were on excellent form. Steve seemed to start off with a frog in his throat, but it very quickly cleared. They did all the songs mentioned, plus a special request of Crow on the Cradle. They also did a new song, about a Devon chap that dreams of emigrating, but comes to a tragic end.

They finished with Country Life, which always leaves me in tears. They then came back on, and started the encore with Widdicombe Fair. Very eerie in the darkness, with no microphones. Phil siddenly appeared on the stairs behind us, witha ghostly violin solo.

I think one of the best things with the present set list, is the fact that it puts Phil at the front of the stage much more. He is a brilliant musician, and it now shows what a good singing voice that he has. Steve's songs continue to tug at the heart strings, and he makes it very clear how passionate he is about the unfairness of the way the genuine country folk are being treated.

I didn't buy an umbrella, but I did come away with a new double live CD, and the songbook. Shame Country Life isn't in it.

Paul

mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2005, 11:11:15 PM »

They did all the songs mentioned, plus a special request of Crow on the Cradle. They also did a new song, about a Devon chap that dreams of emigrating, but comes to a tragic end.

Paul

Paul
Was it called Dive?

I think I paid a tenner for mine, but that was a while ago, when they first appeared.

Think they were still a tenner in Lancaster last week

we're going to see them at the High Barn on 26th. Hope they play "Cars".

Might have to ask for that one Keith as it hasnt appeared on any set lists I've seen for this tour yet. Good song though.

MikeC

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2005, 11:19:32 PM »

Was it called Dive?

Steve didn't say, but it sounded very poigniant, as though he new the bloke. Lived in holiday acomodation in the winter. Theres a few people like that round here.

Paul

tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2005, 11:44:36 AM »

Phil siddenly appeared on the stairs behind us, witha ghostly violin solo.

At Cranleigh it wasn't such a surprise as the fire door onto the balcony had an awful squeak! Everyone looked up as he snuck through the door - and you could hear them thinking 'who's that idi... oh!'

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2005, 01:33:47 PM »

Phil siddenly appeared on the stairs behind us, witha ghostly violin solo.

At Cranleigh it wasn't such a surprise as the fire door onto the balcony had an awful squeak! Everyone looked up as he snuck through the door - and you could hear them thinking 'who's that idi... oh!'

Love it when they do that tho  Wink Haunting

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2005, 10:29:45 PM »

Was it called Dive?

Steve didn't say, but it sounded very poigniant, as though he new the bloke. Lived in holiday acomodation in the winter. Theres a few people like that round here.

Paul

Seems your song hasn't got a title yet Paul, at least according to the SOH board. Dive is a different one and is about a father and son on the sea and one gets lost diving. Nice to see Steve is writing more new songs. Not sure how he can improve on the Country Life CD but cant wait to see how he tries.

Have to agree about Widdicombe Fair. Its brilliant, erie, haunting, spooky and so atmospheric when played 'unplugged' and 'in the dark'

MikeC

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2005, 10:41:42 PM »

Yes, they sung dive as well.

Paul

tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2005, 12:12:36 PM »

Just been listening to the new CD of the 2004 tour.

Excellent - really captures 'the night'. And a bargain at £10 for a double Grin

Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2005, 04:48:57 PM »

Listening to the live CD at the moment, and Country life.

Was Phil using an ebow on stage? I couldn't see properly, but his guitar was sustaining incredibly well for an acoustic.

Paul

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2005, 07:15:44 PM »

Just been listening to the new CD of the 2004 tour.
 Excellent - really captures 'the night'. And a bargain at £10 for a double Grin

I'll look forward to listening to that - after all this talk, I was driven to pick a copy up at Oxford - expect Damascene posts shortly  Grin
Skirky

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2005, 07:18:21 PM »

Me too! Must put that and the brolly on my Show of Hands shopping list!  Cool Wouldn't mind Mr Knightley either! I reckon I could just about cope with him  Grin  Wink 

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2005, 09:59:49 AM »

Anyone at SoH in Brum tonight?
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2005, 12:23:53 PM »

Coope, Boyes & Simpson joined them at Oxford on Sunday to perform their Cyril Tawney tribute.....

Only caught the rehearsal unfortunately - was called away just as CBS were going on stage.....but mega! Hope that sees the light of day sometime.... Cheesy

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2005, 09:56:36 PM »

Looking forward to seeing SOH tommorrow night at High Barn. Hoping to meet some other Boardsters too  Wink

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2005, 09:59:30 PM »

Cracking venue JJ - you'll have a gas! Sadly, I screwed up and missed the 'sold out' deadline. Let us know how it goes  Smiley
Cheers
Sk

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2005, 10:20:36 PM »

Thanks Skirky! If I ever find it that is  Roll Eyes James has given me directions  Wink

Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2005, 01:40:38 PM »

Oh my gosh, having just got back from holliday realised I'd forgotten to book for Tonbridge before I went!!!
Nick of time, there are still tickets if anyone is despairing. Really looking forward to it. Any other boardsters going? Do I christen my badge?
All the CDs are brilliant, but they really are something else live.  Grin Grin Grin
 Angry Went and messed up by booking another break over the Abbotsbury weekend, REALLY cross with myself. You're definately in for a treat you lucky people!
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2005, 07:41:53 AM »

A really good evening at the High Barn despite getting lost on the way  Wink Never mind we had a beautiful ride through the Essex Countryside. Good to meet James, Helen, Keith, Mrs Keith and of course Steve and Phil who were exceptional, together with Miranda Sykes. One or two new songs played, I especially loved The Dive. Ralph McTell was mentioned two or three times, Steve calls his advice McTips!!!  Grin  Had a really 'close up' view cos we were at the front table about touching distance from the duo and was able to read the set list upside down which they changed and swapped about a bit! A special moment was Steve unplugged playing/singing amongst us and Phil's fiddle playing at the back of the barn.  Bought the newly released double cd which they both signed, oh, and a brolly!! Grin
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 08:18:36 AM by JJ » Logged

James SftBH
Tertiary Donna
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Posh North Essex

Freedom is not just a word; it is an activity.

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2005, 03:49:46 PM »

As I'd only recently heard any SoH, I was open to offers on this one (High Barn). In the end I thought they were fab and bought a nice Steve Knightley & Martyn Joseph CD, which is nice and raw. Yes, I'll definitely go and see them again, although if I may be a bit controversial we weren't that keen on their version of 'Willin'; Helen commented "They are doing a truck-driving song with their hands in the "ten to two" position!'  Grin

Very nice to meet JJ, DJJ and Mrs. Keith, too. I would also echo JJ's comments on 'The Dive', a corking song which made Helen cry...and she wasn't even pissed.  Shocked

Always trust your cape.
www.songsfromthebluehouse.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: