TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:07:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simon Nicol & Ric Sanders live CD  (Read 2864 times)
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« on: March 04, 2024, 06:34:20 PM »

I jumped in and started a CD label called Radz Records. In the streaming age, so almost by definition it's limited edition stuff.
Proper albums in digisleeve format. Musicians paid. Nothing bootleggy.
The first Radz Records album is planned in April and it's:

Simon Nicol & Ric Sanders
Greetings From Grolloo
Live in The Netherlands 1 March 2003
Radz Records RADZ680012

The first ever Simon & Ric album. It has material which in the FC family is only available on this.
Bach's Double Violin Concerto, Here There And Everywhere and Summertime join more FC-familiar favourites like Crazy Man Michael, Rosemary's Sister and The Hiring Fair. The artwork has photos from the gig taken by Chris Bates of this parish.

As I type this I am checking the new master CD on headphones - crystal clear all the way from 2003 as recorded by Paul Smith that day ... and you will love this I am sure. I am waiting for Simon's sleevenotes - but they're on tour.

I will post updates and a sleeve etc.

Radz (and me) are based in The Netherlands but am looking at a way to have this available in the UK and maybe at Cropredy. No need to order yet.
I am chock full of CD release plans/ideas so wish me luck!

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 06:45:26 PM »

I do like a contrarian who launches a CD only label in 2024.  Good luck, Koen...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 06:53:32 PM »

I do like a contrarian who launches a CD only label in 2024.  Good luck, Koen...

Well I do understand they fare better than some time ago. At my Roots aan de Zaan (hence Radz) gigs, CD merch regularly sells like hot cakes. I'm feeling slightly Don Quichote-ish in a way.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 08:30:02 PM »

Yes, very best of luck, Koen! Looking forward to more info on this release, highly unlikely that I won't be ordering a copy...

Flobbadob!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 10:02:50 AM »

I saw Simon n Ric together in about that time, so the set list may be similar… I will be ordering too.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 11:13:26 AM »

Best wishes for the label!

I'll certainly be up for a copy of the Simon & Ric album. They were always good value live.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 11:15:17 AM »

Best wishes for the label!

I'll certainly be up for a copy of the Simon & Ric album. They were always good value live.

How much did Simon and Ric tour, then?  I seem to remember a tour late 80s or early 90s (not long after the last Simon and Swarb tours) but I don't think I was aware it had continued well into the 21st century...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2024, 03:42:05 PM »

Sounds great!  Well done, and I look forward to further details in due course

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 06:16:26 PM »

Excellent, and good luck!
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2024, 06:38:52 PM »

Thank you's! It's quite possible this was their last duo gig, I don't think I saw the duo mentioned since. It was a very rare outing. At that festival, Iain Matthews and Ad Vanderveen played too. Ric guested with them. All recorded!. As was Little Johnny England. Twas a music filled day ...
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 09:01:43 AM »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember (again, memory can be fallible), that the 2003 Simon & Ric duo tour started out as a Simon & Swarb tour with Ric ready on standby to complete the dates in the event of Swarb not being medically up to it. Hence the rarity of the occasion, and lack of publicity.

I'm intrigued by this forthcoming cd though, and will likely order one...
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2024, 09:07:17 AM »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember (again, memory can be fallible), that the 2003 Simon & Ric duo tour started out as a Simon & Swarb tour with Ric ready on standby to complete the dates in the event of Swarb not being medically up to it. Hence the rarity of the occasion, and lack of publicity.

I'm intrigued by this forthcoming cd though, and will likely order one...

Interesting!

koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2024, 09:21:08 PM »

Simon & Ric in Grolloo 2003 was not part of a tour. I asked them; they said yes.
I'm not sure - but this was pre-Swarb's lung transplant so I don't think he performed for several years then?
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2024, 09:41:24 AM »

Simon & Ric in Grolloo 2003 was not part of a tour. I asked them; they said yes.
I'm not sure - but this was pre-Swarb's lung transplant so I don't think he performed for several years then?

Ah, makes sense if it was a one-off gig.

Swarb played at Cropredy in 2002 and 2003 - in 2003 they made a real fuss of him and gave him an extended showcase in the middle of the Saturday night FC set to play pieces from his just-released Naxos album "English Fiddler".
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2024, 09:49:18 AM »

Ah, makes sense if it was a one-off gig.

Swarb played at Cropredy in 2002 and 2003 - in 2003 they made a real fuss of him and gave him an extended showcase in the middle of the Saturday night FC set to play pieces from his just-released Naxos album "English Fiddler".

You've got a better memory than mine...although I do just about remember it. A decent album, that...and you can pick it up dirt cheap too...

Godzee

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2024, 02:55:00 PM »

This sounds such an exciting release, and I for one am really excited to purchase a copy (also @Koho - please see my other post for another potential release idea!).

It feels to me that there sued to be many more "ofshoots" of Fairport performing abck in the 1980s / 1990s / early 2000s? Simon and Maart did a few things together, I also think Mr Pegg and Ric played some gigs in the Birmingham area? There was also the Fairport "acoustic" Convention line up which is much missed. Does anyone know what happened and why it is we only see them as a singular collective nowadays?

Peggy also did a solo album which is long since forgotten but was quite nice and he had a go at singing. It's a shame Fairport don't let him sing any more, but I guess with Chris there isn't the same requirement now ?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2024, 04:42:10 PM »

Simon and Maart did a few things together, I also think Mr Pegg and Ric played some gigs in the Birmingham area?

I'd be interested to know more about these two combos...it's news to me.

koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2024, 07:30:32 PM »

Here's the front- and back cover! Whilst resizing this (I am no expert at this stuff!) it turned rather low res, is this readable?

If not --
1. introduction: Dick (02:33)
2. Sheriff’s Ride / Upton Stick Dance (trad. arr. Nicol/Sanders) (05:24)
3. Over The Lancashire Hills (Stuart Marson) (05:20)
4. Slipjigs & Reels (Steve Tilston) (05:49)
5. Bach’s Double Violin Concerto (1st Movement) (J.S. Bach, arr. Nicol/Sanders) (03:47)
6. Crazy Man Michael (Dave Swarbrick/Richard Thompson) (05:37)
7. Portmeirion (Ric Sanders) (07:07)
8. Travelling By Steam (Huw Williams) (05:06)
9. Sophisticated Lady (Ellington) / Here, There And Everywhere (Lennon/McCartney) (05:55)
10. Rosemary’s Sister (Huw Williams) (06:29)
11. Woodworm Swing (Ric Sanders) (04:32)
12. The Hiring Fair (Ralph McTell) / Summertime (Gershwin/Gershwin/Heyward) (14:56)
13. The Widow Of Westmorland’s Daughter (trad. arr. Nicol/Sanders) (05:23)
total running time 78:28

* IMG_8621.JPG (89.87 KB, 816x360 - viewed 278 times.)
Godzee

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2024, 08:22:06 AM »

I wish I could remember more about it. I’m sure it was Maart and Simon solo together somewhere in Telford; to my memory it must have been around the mid-1990s as there was a bit of crossover between the Old, New, Borrowed, Blue material. It was mostly fairport material to be fair and some sets of tunes that I didn’t know. My ex-wife might remember more, but I really don’t want to have to ask her!

Simon and Maart did a few things together, I also think Mr Pegg and Ric played some gigs in the Birmingham area?

I'd be interested to know more about these two combos...it's news to me.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2024, 09:28:10 AM »

The Fairport Acoustic Convention line-up still exists in practice, if not in name, as a 4 piece when DM isn't available to play with them.  It started out as a drummer-less version of the band, and then Gerry would come along and play percussion.  Rather like they do for the opening set at Cropredy, with them all sitting down.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: