TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:19:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simon Nicol & Ric Sanders live CD  (Read 2868 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2024, 09:38:24 AM »

The Fairport Acoustic Convention line-up still exists in practice, if not in name, as a 4 piece when DM isn't available to play with them.  It started out as a drummer-less version of the band, and then Gerry would come along and play percussion.  Rather like they do for the opening set at Cropredy, with them all sitting down.

Of course.  And remember there was also a bassless (plus percussion) version for a couple of years as well (when Peggy had to sit on the naughty step for a bit).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Godzee

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2024, 11:16:07 AM »

Okay, this is interesting - so the Fairport Acoustic Convention was just 1990s era Fairport without DM? Was Chris Leslie not involved in that acoustic lineup somehow but in the Maart era?

So does anyone know when the Fairport 'Acoustic' Convention brand was dropped? They certainly used to make a big deal of it, but now they have dropped that name - which in my opinion is a great shame.

The Fairport Acoustic Convention line-up still exists in practice, if not in name, as a 4 piece when DM isn't available to play with them.  It started out as a drummer-less version of the band, and then Gerry would come along and play percussion.  Rather like they do for the opening set at Cropredy, with them all sitting down.
Metro96 (Keith)
Do I look like a padre?

Loc: Adjacent to the Saddleworth villages.

My Friend there is always time for beer!

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2024, 11:47:49 AM »

Okay, this is interesting - so the Fairport Acoustic Convention was just 1990s era Fairport without DM? Was Chris Leslie not involved in that acoustic lineup somehow but in the Maart era?

So does anyone know when the Fairport 'Acoustic' Convention brand was dropped? They certainly used to make a big deal of it, but now they have dropped that name - which in my opinion is a great shame.

This year's Cropredy poster advertises Fairport Acoustic on Thursday. So it seems they have not completely dropped the name.

Pwll peint o chwerw os gwelwch yn dda.
một pint của đắng xin
ไพน์ของขมโปรด
en halvliter øl vennligst
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2024, 12:01:28 PM »

I'm fairly certain Chris had only guested with Fairport (FC or FAC) occasionally prior to joining.  He played Cropredy '92 as a replacement for Ric, of course...

Basically all FAC was, was a way of differentiating it from the larger venued, louder fully electric Winter touring band and opening it up to smaller sit down venues et al during the rest of the year.  Obviously as time marched on the boundaries between the two got blurred.  They were almost meaningless when Gerry was fully present for all dates.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Metro96 (Keith)
Do I look like a padre?

Loc: Adjacent to the Saddleworth villages.

My Friend there is always time for beer!

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2024, 12:30:50 PM »

Obviously as time marched on the boundaries between the two got blurred.  They were almost meaningless when Gerry was fully present for all dates. 

I remember at one FAC gig with Gerry, Simon explained that they were sitting on acoustic chairs.

Pwll peint o chwerw os gwelwch yn dda.
một pint của đắng xin
ไพน์ของขมโปรด
en halvliter øl vennligst
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2024, 02:39:48 PM »

Obviously as time marched on the boundaries between the two got blurred.  They were almost meaningless when Gerry was fully present for all dates. 

I remember at one FAC gig with Gerry, Simon explained that they were sitting on acoustic chairs.

At the first FAC gig I saw with Gerry, I think Simon said that they had found him sitting in the back of the van, so decided they'd better let him come along anyway!

Yes, the boundaries did get blurred - mainly the difference seemed to be whether Gerry was playing the cajon or a drum kit, and if they sat for the whole set or not, so probably they just decided the different name wasn't needed.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2024, 11:04:21 PM »

Has there not been a CD of this incarnation recorded at live shows last year on sale during the current tour? Or did I dream that? I can't say for sure as I didn't attend this year but will pick it up if it goes on sale in their web shop at the end of the tour, if indeed it exists.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2024, 08:02:07 AM »

Correct, there has been, and I imagine that it will be available soon, once the tour finishes.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2024, 02:00:23 PM »

It was on sale when I saw the 5 piece band in Swansea last week

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2024, 03:25:56 PM »

Yes I bought it from Peggy in Lincoln, great set from Autumn 2023.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: