TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:53:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Albums members of Fairport Played on...  (Read 9229 times)
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« on: March 29, 2023, 08:40:23 AM »

They get around, I know, but someone recently gave a me a box of albums and one of them was 'Kites' by Dave Walters. Ric Sanders is the violinist and Fred Baker (Currently in Soft Machine) is the bass player. No surprise, as I believe Sanders and Baker played together in the early 80s...
Only listened to a few tracks but its pleasant enough.
Can't find any info about Dave Walters online - seems to have done a couple of albums in the late 70s and early 80s and vanished.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 09:56:17 AM »

Interesting post to me, because of all the album artists included in my collection, Dave Walters is possibly the most obscure. He played our folk club in the mid-80's and I do still have the year's programme from that time, which said something like "Normally the most mellow of folkies, with his new trio he produces a beefy folk-rock sound". That is indeed a perfect description of the mellow "Kites" LP (only one I have and that is only a taped copy) and of the excellent folk-rocking gig that we attended. Fred Baker may have been in the trio, but Ric Sanders certainly wasn't. I have seen, but not heard, one other Dave Walters LP, which is inspired by the works of William Blake. BUT so far as all of us here attempting to list all of the albums that FC members have ever played on ... I'm not sure if the Internet is big enough   Wink
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 10:22:55 AM »

I have Kites on vinyl. I got it from a friend whose parents went to a lot of folk gigs in the Liverpool area back in the 70s and 80s. I see Phil Cunningham was also in Dave's backing band playing keyboards, accordion and whistle.

I got various LPs along with the Dave Walters one including albums by Roy Bailey, Hot Vultures, Dave Burland, The House Band, Johnny Silvo and a couple by Peter Bond.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 01:45:46 PM »

Interesting post to me, because of all the album artists included in my collection, Dave Walters is possibly the most obscure. He played our folk club in the mid-80's and I do still have the year's programme from that time, which said something like "Normally the most mellow of folkies, with his new trio he produces a beefy folk-rock sound". That is indeed a perfect description of the mellow "Kites" LP (only one I have and that is only a taped copy) and of the excellent folk-rocking gig that we attended. Fred Baker may have been in the trio, but Ric Sanders certainly wasn't. I have seen, but not heard, one other Dave Walters LP, which is inspired by the works of William Blake. BUT so far as all of us here attempting to list all of the albums that FC members have ever played on ... I'm not sure if the Internet is big enough   Wink

Years ago, when I was a student back in the early 1990s, there was a guy online planning to write detailing where members of Fairport had played.
He used to be on the old Usenet text newgroups.
I remember sending some info to about Maart being involved with The Mission and Ric doing stuff with All About Eve.

I don't believe the book ever came out!

I have a vague recollection it was the 'The Fairport Connection' or something similar.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 02:29:40 PM »

Dave Walters ran Lytham Folk Club in the seventies where I spent many a happy evening before going away to uni. He usually opened both halves of the evening before the guest played. I can remember many of the songs he played - Sailor’s Life, Jock o’ Hazeldene, Silver Coin, and several Tom Paxton songs amongst them. He was the first person I heard play The Band Played Waltzing Matilda ((very well).

This was the start of my love of folk music as I heard many fine acts there: Therapy, Doug Porter, Hamish Imlach, the Dransfields, and many of the comic end of the folk scene: Derek Brimstone, Tony Capstick, Bernard Wrigley, Brownsville Jug Band, Richard Digance and not least Mike Harding and Jasper Carrott.

I seem to remember that Roger from Fylde Guitars used to help with the running of the club. It was held at Lytham Cricket & Sports Club, where I later played my tennis and hockey, and even had my wedding reception. Still spend most weekends propping up the bar there.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 05:08:08 PM »

Martin, you may be thinking of the now-defunct website run by Ian & Stephanie Rennie called Expletive Delighted.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 05:26:40 PM »

Martin, you may be thinking of the now-defunct website run by Ian & Stephanie Rennie called Expletive Delighted.

Nope, this was a book that was actually advertised in one of the Cropredy programmes (late 80s?) and were handing our fliers on the field.  I think I've had conversations about it on here but I can't find the relevant threads.  I was convinced it had never happened but I think the evidence was that it actually did get published?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 08:48:26 PM »

I believe that FC were the house band on Beverly Craven’s eponymous debut album.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 09:01:10 PM »

I believe that FC were the house band on Beverly Craven’s eponymous debut album.

It's not quite as simple as that but there's plenty of them on there...Pat D too https://www.discogs.com/release/7057941-Beverley-Craven-Beverley-Craven

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 09:10:19 PM »

I used to love that site.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Thom

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2023, 07:50:33 AM »

There’s also Julie Covington’s self-titled album which has RT in the band, plus Simon, DM, Peggy, Trevor and Iain Matthews at various points (and John Cale, Stevie Winwood and other luminaries too), and kicks off with a RT song then a Sandy song.

Not to mention the first Matthew’s Southern Comfort album (Iain obviously plus RT, Simon Ashley and Gerry C as the main band), plus Nick Drake and John Martyn’s albums that have some fairly prominent Fairport appearances (E.g. Peggy and Bruce on Dancing from One World).
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2023, 09:41:43 AM »

I used to have the album London Moon And Barnyard Remedies by Mark Germino (RCA, 1986). Produced by Paul Samwell-Smith and includes backing from Christine Collister, Maart, Simon Nicol, Russ Kunkel, Ric Sanders and Peter-John Vettese.

https://www.discogs.com/release/12042815-Mark-Germino-London-Moon-And-Barnyard-Remedies
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2023, 10:29:02 AM »

There's a Bob Fox album called Dreams Never Leave You which all of Fairport apart from Simon played on. Bob had been special guest on Wintour 2000 and from the sleeve notes it looks like Dave Pegg in particular was keen for Bob to record his new songs at Woodworm Studios.

It includes a cover of the Beatles' From Me To You which apparently was Bob's song of choice to play at sound checks.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2023, 11:15:59 AM »

OK....if we're aiming for the really obscure.
DM features on "You Don't Know" the latest album by Hilary James.
Hilary and her partner Simon Mayor opened for Fairport on a Wintour many years ago.
Simon, who is probably the country's leading mandolin player, joined Maart and Chris Leslie for "The Working Party (Live at the Mill). Great evening, brilliant album!
Simon Mayor was an original member of Feast of Fiddles, together with Simon's Nicol and Swarbrick, although this line-up never recorded.

To pick up on an earlier comment, it's probably easier to list albums that members of Fairport don't have a connection with.....particularly DM!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2023, 12:00:50 PM »

DM features on "You Don't Know" the latest album by Hilary James.
Hilary and her partner Simon Mayor opened for Fairport on a Wintour many years ago.
Simon, who is probably the country's leading mandolin player, joined Maart and Chris Leslie for "The Working Party (Live at the Mill). Great evening, brilliant album!
Simon Mayor was an original member of Feast of Fiddles, together with Simon's Nicol and Swarbrick, although this line-up never recorded.

To pick up on an earlier comment, it's probably easier to list albums that members of Fairport don't have a connection with.....particularly DM!

Well, I never knew that... what sort of date?  Did they play live then?

DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2023, 01:00:36 PM »

I think it was an early 90s Wintour programme where the chaps were asked their favourite, or perhaps most memorable sessions. Two that spring to mind are Simon appearing on a Chris Rea album, and DM recording with George Harrison just after John Lennon died.
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2023, 01:17:03 PM »

Simon Mayor was an original member of Feast of Fiddles, together with Simon's Nicol and Swarbrick, although this line-up never recorded

Not sure of the dates, will have to dig out my FoF Anniversary Programme..... Grin
Simon Mayor was at university with Hugh Crabtree, so any early gigs would have been local to Reading.
Knowing the answer to the "three Simons" question in the Cropredy programme for 19?? resulted in a goody bag of FoF cds!

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2023, 02:21:51 PM »

Simon Mayor was an original member of Feast of Fiddles, together with Simon's Nicol and Swarbrick, although this line-up never recorded

Not sure of the dates, will have to dig out my FoF Anniversary Programme..... Grin
Simon Mayor was at university with Hugh Crabtree, so any early gigs would have been local to Reading.
Knowing the answer to the "three Simons" question in the Cropredy programme for 19?? resulted in a goody bag of FoF cds!

Knowledge is power!

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2023, 03:50:56 PM »

Of course DM and Jerry Donahue played on two of The Proclaimers' early albums (Sunshine on Leith and Hit the Highway)

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2023, 05:50:14 PM »

RT produced and played on a couple of Loudon Wainwright albums, I'm Alright and More Love Songs, with Gerry, Ric and DM playing on some tracks.

Well I never did..
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: