TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:56:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Albums members of Fairport Played on...  (Read 9223 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2023, 03:04:20 PM »

Didn't RT play on Maria McKee's album?

Yes, think I have that one on cassette (for David’s benefit lol). The other one I recall he played was Beausoleil’s Cajun Conja album

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2023, 05:21:55 PM »

This could be a very long list!
I have a couple of unusual ones to add.
The wrestler,cabaret artist and country singer Brian Maxine.
His album king of the ring 1972 features Dave Pegg and Swarb, I found the record in a charity shop!
also his 1975 album ribbon of stainless steel features Dave Pegg ,Swarb, Sandy,DM,Trevor Lucas,Jerry Donahue and Linda Peters. I have never seen this album .
I also have a 1969 album called folk in worship on BBC records which has Peggy on the bass.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/4505708?ev=rb

I have a copy of "Ribbon of Stainless Steel". It's not bad!

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2023, 05:34:20 PM »

Yes, think I have that one on cassette (for David’s benefit lol). The other one I recall he played was Beausoleil’s Cajun Conja album

I've got albums II and III on cassette actually but not the debut solo...not a huge fan of it tbh....personally, I think she really came into her own with Life is Sweet which is a Top 20 album for me.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2023, 06:23:24 PM »

She did a good version of ‘Has He Got a Friend for Me?’, and ‘Drinking in My Sunday Dress’ is classic RT. Produced by Mitchell Froom, who also roped him in to play on Crowded House’s ‘Temple of Low Men’. I was lucky enough to see Thompy and CH in intimate form at The Borderline at a gig to launch ‘Rumor and Sigh’ when Paul Hester got RT up on stage to do the solo on ‘Sister Madly’ during the Crowdies set and then insisted he stay on for the rest of the show.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2023, 07:40:13 PM »

OK....if we're aiming for the really obscure.

Simon Mayor was an original member of Feast of Fiddles, together with Simon's Nicol and Swarbrick, although this line-up never recorded

Well, I never knew that... what sort of date?  Did they play live then?

Not sure of the dates, will have to dig out my FoF Anniversary Programme..... Grin
Simon Mayor was at university with Hugh Crabtree, so any early gigs would have been local to Reading.
Knowing the answer to the "three Simons" question in the Cropredy programme for 19?? resulted in a goody bag of FoF cds!

The first Feast of Fiddles gig was 14th feb 1994 at Nettlebed.
The 6 fiddlers in the original line up were Ian Cutler, Tom Leary, Chris Leslie, Phil Beer, Simon Swarbrick and Ric Sanders.  

So with Simon Nicol then?

Haven't a clue! I'm guessing he made a few appearances on the back line, although he does have form with the viola...
I found FoF via the Albion Band/ Joe Broughton route so well before my time; Vicky may have some idea....

And please don't get started on the Albion Band...the equivalent of National Service for folk musicians..(Phil Beer).
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2023, 09:02:01 AM »

Can’t let this thread go without mentioning this one.
Red Shoes (of this parish) released their album “It Isn’t Over Yet” in 2017.
Peggy and Ric play on the album.
This one is rather special for me as the track “Maple Tree Boy” was inspired by my Dad’s experience on Juno Beach on D-Day.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2023, 12:22:02 PM »

I noticed that Mel Gaynor played drums for her, which puts her in the same family tree as Iron Maiden.

And the Nolan Sisters

The Dude abides
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2023, 07:42:01 AM »

I noticed that Mel Gaynor played drums for her, which puts her in the same family tree as Iron Maiden.

And the Nolan Sisters

Those ladies were true rock chicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LczdjBhMOaw

Well I never did..
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2023, 11:05:32 AM »

And the Nolan Sisters

Those ladies were true rock chicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LczdjBhMOaw

Classic. there is a different video of that floating around somewhere with Lemmy more to the fore. When I played the above link it followed on with Th Walkabouts "The Light Will Stay On" . Another classic. The only time I have seen Micky Moody was with Juicy Lucy and to say he was appalling would be a massive understatement. Every so often Andy Pyle and Ron Berg would stop playing and just stare at him. I think he had overdabbled somewhat!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2023, 07:31:50 PM »

Ric Sanders on one of my favourite ever Spirit of the West tracks. He’s obvious from the get-go. https://youtu.be/ZH3WBlWJdKQ

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2023, 11:52:50 PM »

Ric Sanders on one of my favourite ever Spirit of the West tracks. He’s obvious from the get-go. https://youtu.be/ZH3WBlWJdKQ

He plays on three of the tracks on Red Jasper's 1990 album Sting In The Tale too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erB1eBPdTVg
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2023, 03:43:04 PM »

Martin, you may be thinking of the now-defunct website run by Ian & Stephanie Rennie called Expletive Delighted.

Nope, this was a book that was actually advertised in one of the Cropredy programmes (late 80s?) and were handing our fliers on the field.  I think I've had conversations about it on here but I can't find the relevant threads.  I was convinced it had never happened but I think the evidence was that it actually did get published?

I think I remember seeing it advertised somewhere as well.
The guy was based in the US, and this was long before websites existed. He used to hang around on the usenet forums.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2023, 04:40:07 PM »

RT apparently played on Gary Farr's 'Strange Fruit' album - in fact his guitar is joyously distinctive on this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1wOodqCA9Q

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2023, 01:39:44 AM »

RT apparently played on Gary Farr's 'Strange Fruit' album - in fact his guitar is joyously distinctive on this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1wOodqCA9Q

This was the case with Robert Plant's Fate Of Nations. Listening to it without reading the credits, ''Come Into My Life's'' guitar solo is obviously RT.
Maart also played mandolin on 'If I Were A Carpenter', and all instruments except drums and vocals on "Colours of a Shade".

Well I never did..
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2023, 01:22:04 AM »

Sally Barker's excellent This Rhythm Is Mine album features Peggy, DM & Maart.
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2023, 07:24:02 PM »

I've also got a Seekers album from the 1970s (With a different singer) that Swarb plays on.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: