TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:46:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Stand ins  (Read 9807 times)
Andy Leonard

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2022, 03:51:23 PM »

Did Swarb ever dep (rather than guest) after 1985?

I'm fairly certain the answer to that is no, isn't it?

Don’t ask me when but there was a Cropredy warm up gig at the Mill in Banbury when CL was not there and Swarb played. I went to both nights and if my memory serves me correctly Swarb only depped for one of them. I cannot remember however why CL wasn’t there. I am however happy to be proved wrong!

I’ve remembered the exact details now so apologies for the above inaccuracy. It was the Cropredy when Ric had fallen through a plate glass window and had badly injured his wrist only days before the festival. CL depped at the festival as we all know, but was not available for one of the warm up gigs so Swarb stepped in.

CL was depping for Ric before that as I saw that line up at Gosport Festival a few weeks before Cropredy. Possibly the best non Cropredy Fairport performance I ever saw.

It's one of the great mysteries of the universe how the man that God put on earth to replace Swarb as Fairport fiddler has ended up spending so much time in Fairport performing another very different role indeed.  We've probably got to blame Swarb himself for that by signing Chris up to Whippersnapper.  The old goat knew what he was doing...

Goat as in Greatest of all time?!! 🤣🤣

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2022, 08:30:33 PM »

Goat as in Greatest of all time?!! 🤣🤣

Aye, that too.

I don't half miss Swarb.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
jonmuse

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2022, 03:41:15 PM »

I have just read that some stage in the late 80s when FC were supporting Tull Doane Perry took over drum duties from DM - I was unaware of that and it got me thinking how many musicians have depped for Fairport without ever being recognised fully as a band member?

Paul Warren I guess stood in again on the drums for a few gigs in the 70s, Vo Fletcher stood in for Peggy as I think Matt Pegg has, Chris L depped for Ric prior to joining the band but any others? Roger Hill, Bob Brady, Roger Burridge count as full band members of course.

Cheers,

DW

Here is one of the gigs with Doane at the drum kit. Not my recording BTW

https://youtu.be/qWXnrW3BZF0
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2022, 04:00:57 PM »

I have just read that some stage in the late 80s when FC were supporting Tull Doane Perry took over drum duties from DM - I was unaware of that and it got me thinking how many musicians have depped for Fairport without ever being recognised fully as a band member?

Paul Warren I guess stood in again on the drums for a few gigs in the 70s, Vo Fletcher stood in for Peggy as I think Matt Pegg has, Chris L depped for Ric prior to joining the band but any others? Roger Hill, Bob Brady, Roger Burridge count as full band members of course.

Cheers,

DW

Here is one of the gigs with Doane at the drum kit. Not my recording BTW

https://youtu.be/qWXnrW3BZF0

It's hard to tell from an unmixed recording but I'm inclined to think that Doane admirably illustrates the difficulty of playing drums for Fairport...it's a bit rock drumming in a folk-rock context-y or am I just overthinking that?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Thom

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2023, 10:44:09 PM »

It’s not totally Fairport, but Chris Leslie also depped for Swarb at Joe Boyd’s History of Fairport gig at the Barbican in 2010(?) after Swarb dropped out during rehearsals. Did a great job too.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2023, 12:06:36 PM »

It’s not totally Fairport, but Chris Leslie also depped for Swarb at Joe Boyd’s History of Fairport gig at the Barbican in 2010(?) after Swarb dropped out during rehearsals. Did a great job too.

Dropped out?  Stropped out...

That's almost the opposite of a stand-in then as Chris was actually in the band and Swarb wasn't... Wink Grin

It was also one of the very best concerts of my life (Dead centre, front row of the circle), and after about 50 odd shows the penultimate time I saw them.  I'd been going off the last lineup for quite a while and after one truly appalling show in Chester the following year knocked it on the head.  If the band featuring DM came anywhere at all near me I might consider it again though...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2023, 02:51:00 PM »

That's almost the opposite of a stand-in then as Chris was actually in the band and Swarb wasn't... Wink Grin

It was also one of the very best concerts of my life (Dead centre, front row of the circle), and after about 50 odd shows the penultimate time I saw them.  I'd been going off the last lineup for quite a while and after one truly appalling show in Chester the following year knocked it on the head.  If the band featuring DM came anywhere at all near me I might consider it again though...

I’d say that the current tour is the best I’ve seen from Fairport in the last 25 years or so. DM definitely gives them more omph
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2023, 03:09:04 PM »

It was also one of the very best concerts of my life (Dead centre, front row of the circle), and after about 50 odd shows the penultimate time I saw them.  

Totally agree, one of my top gigs too. We were also front row of the balcony, near the centre.  Grin

I seem to remember an outdoor Fairport gig, in Ludlow, where P J Wright depped for Ric, or maybe Chris, I'm not clear due to being  rather  over-refreshed at the time.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 03:15:42 PM by Andy » Logged

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Peter Allen

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2023, 03:09:21 PM »

I dropped out of seeing Fairport on the winter tour once Maart and DM had left , but I really enjoyed the show at Lincoln this year , totally agree DM just gives them some real power , and the emphasis on Full House material sure helped , although Walk Awhile didn't work , not sure why , just seems hesitant , like a new song not bedded in
Well chosen support act too
I'll be back as long as DM returns
Thom

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2023, 04:08:44 PM »

After I posted last night I went back and read the old thread about it again where I’d previously posted (under my old username ThomA which I can’t access any more), and a lot of it came flooding back. I’d forgotten a lot of details so it was nice to be reminded of just how amazing it was.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2023, 04:50:30 PM »

After I posted last night I went back and read the old thread about it again where I’d previously posted (under my old username ThomA which I can’t access any more), and a lot of it came flooding back. I’d forgotten a lot of details so it was nice to be reminded of just how amazing it was.

There are recordings out there...

hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2023, 11:14:56 AM »

I’d say that the current tour is the best I’ve seen from Fairport in the last 25 years or so. DM definitely gives them more omph

Having seen them last night at Stratford ( Sat 4th Mar) , I couldn’t agree more. They were on top of their game….
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: