TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:32:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Stand ins  (Read 9805 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2022, 12:55:18 PM »

I've had a stand up row with someone that have told me Fairport never do a gig without MotL but we know it ain't so...  Wink Smiley

And another love affair bit the dust!   Grin

Jules

Grin I can argue about other things too  Wink Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2022, 02:21:58 PM »

, Vo Fletcher stood in for Peggy as I think Matt Pegg has

Cheers,

DW
rather

Vo has depped  on more than one occasion, and Matt took on a whole tour following Peggy's argument with a diswasher.....

Was there actually a period when Peggy was considered to have left the band?

DW
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2022, 02:29:27 PM »

Cheers,

DW
rather

Vo has depped  on more than one occasion, and Matt took on a whole tour following Peggy's argument with a diswasher.....

DW

He left Fairport Acoustic Convention for a few tours didn't he, but not the mothership I don't think...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2022, 04:18:03 PM »

You mean like Steeleye and the Albions, and RT's solo career?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2022, 04:46:26 PM »

I think there was a point where they tried finishing concerts with Steve Ashley's Best Wishes instead of MOTL, but it didn't last long.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2022, 05:00:10 PM »

You mean like Steeleye and the Albions, and RT's solo career?

Jules

Brilliant, then average and then poor, then got a bit better again; interesting then brilliant then deteriorated rapidly; Jaw droppingly amazing then slowly got into a bit of a rut despite still being jaw droppingly amazing.  Tell me I'm not right... [actually, don't]  Wink Grin

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2022, 12:55:34 AM »

Cheers,

DW
rather

DW

Yes. I vaguely recall that Peggy was sacked and sent home from their last US tour, due to some alcohol-related issues. He obviously returned, probably for Cropredy. It's late and my memory isn't what it was, so correct me if I'm wrong, folks.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2022, 08:09:04 AM »

Cheers,

DW
rather

DW

Yes. I vaguely recall that Peggy was sacked and sent home from their last US tour, due to some alcohol-related issues. He obviously returned, probably for Cropredy. It's late and my memory isn't what it was, so correct me if I'm wrong, folks.
That was 2006. We saw them in the Parr Hall in the March of that year and you could feel the tension in the band. I've read about it somewhere, maybe an interview with Simon? can't find it anyway

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2022, 09:28:54 AM »

Cheers,

DW
rather

DW

That was 2006. We saw them in the Parr Hall in the March of that year and you could feel the tension in the band. I've read about it somewhere, maybe an interview with Simon? can't find it anyway

Think there was a passing reference in Peggy's "autobiography" .
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2022, 10:09:23 AM »

Did Swarb ever dep (rather than guest) after 1985?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2022, 11:12:26 AM »

I'm fairly certain the answer to that is no, isn't it?

DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2022, 12:03:50 PM »

I know CL stood in at Cropredy when Ric was injured in 1992, but I thought I'd read somewhere that Swarb also helped out at some point.

It does seem unlikely, I'll grant you. I'll blame it on post-covid brain fog.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2022, 12:31:39 PM »

I know CL stood in at Cropredy when Ric was injured in 1992, but I thought I'd read somewhere that Swarb also helped out at some point.

It does seem unlikely, I'll grant you. I'll blame it on post-covid brain fog.

Now you mention it again I've got a very vague memory of something and I'm not as certain it's a no as I thought earlier...but sadly my memory banks are failing!

StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2022, 08:37:39 PM »

I remember seeing Simon standing in for Graeme Taylor in Home Service during a Mysteries run at the National Theatre in 1985!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2022, 09:05:57 PM »

I remember seeing Simon standing in for Graeme Taylor in Home Service during a Mysteries run at the National Theatre in 1985!

Ooh, would have loved to see that.

Andy Leonard

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2022, 05:56:52 PM »

Don’t ask me when but there was a Cropredy warm up gig at the Mill in Banbury when CL was not there and Swarb played. I went to both nights and if my memory serves me correctly Swarb only depped for one of them. I cannot remember however why CL wasn’t there. I am however happy to be proved wrong!

Andy Leonard

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2022, 09:29:54 AM »

Don’t ask me when but there was a Cropredy warm up gig at the Mill in Banbury when CL was not there and Swarb played. I went to both nights and if my memory serves me correctly Swarb only depped for one of them. I cannot remember however why CL wasn’t there. I am however happy to be proved wrong!

I’ve remembered the exact details now so apologies for the above inaccuracy. It was the Cropredy when Ric had fallen through a plate glass window and had badly injured his wrist only days before the festival. CL depped at the festival as we all know, but was not available for one of the warm up gigs so Swarb stepped in.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2022, 11:02:32 AM »

I’ve remembered the exact details now so apologies for the above inaccuracy. It was the Cropredy when Ric had fallen through a plate glass window and had badly injured his wrist only days before the festival. CL depped at the festival as we all know, but was not available for one of the warm up gigs so Swarb stepped in.

I'd like to hear that...anyone know if it was recorded?

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2022, 12:57:35 PM »

CL was depping for Ric before that as I saw that line up at Gosport Festival a few weeks before Cropredy. Possibly the best non Cropredy Fairport performance I ever saw.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2022, 01:08:10 PM »

CL was depping for Ric before that as I saw that line up at Gosport Festival a few weeks before Cropredy. Possibly the best non Cropredy Fairport performance I ever saw.

It's one of the great mysteries of the universe how the man that God put on earth to replace Swarb as Fairport fiddler has ended up spending so much time in Fairport performing another very different role indeed.  We've probably got to blame Swarb himself for that by signing Chris up to Whippersnapper.  The old goat knew what he was doing...

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: