TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 07:22:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 191234 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1180 on: December 05, 2023, 10:58:06 AM »

Winter's Turning by Robin Williamson.

In many ways and compared with many of the others it's quite a 'slight' RW album, but it's a very enjoyable one nonetheless.

Just right for a damp and chilly rush home to the warming fire...

Now there's one I seldom play , and I have it in 2 formats.

Other seldom-play RW albums I own are : Music for the Newly Born, Mabinogion, Songs for Children of all Ages, the 2 Harp albums.

All decent albums.  Is there a bad Robin album?  I really don't think so.  And there's half a dozen (at least) truly great ones.... Much as I adore his songs and enjoy his (fairly) recent live renditions, Mike's career fizzled out after ISB - Robin's just went up and up and up.  Truly a musical titan.

Yes Robin was prolific.  It  would take me a month to get through all ISB  and solo stuff, at say 2 albums a day.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested I did produce an Excel spreadsheet Robin solo discography the other year.  Available to anyone who wants it...drop me a line with your email address.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1181 on: December 06, 2023, 04:58:15 PM »

Continuing a run through some of Robin's "lesser albums", I've been enjoying The Dragon Has Two Tongues today. Incidentally a brilliant tv series if you don't know it (a history of Wales with two presenters - a Marxist historian and a traditionalist).

It sounds a little dated because of some of the instrumentation now but it's rather lovely nonetheless.  If it was being made now I imagine cultural sensibilities would have ensured a Welsh composer got the gig... Robin has now been there twice as long as he ever lived in Scotland of course...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1182 on: December 08, 2023, 05:25:02 PM »

Wonderful version of Fairytale at Shane's funeral featuring Glen Hansard, Lisa Oneill and at least four Pogues

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1183 on: December 09, 2023, 09:05:04 AM »

Continuing a run through some of Robin's "lesser albums", I've been enjoying The Dragon Has Two Tongues today. Incidentally a brilliant tv series if you don't know it (a history of Wales with two presenters - a Marxist historian and a traditionalist).

It sounds a little dated because of some of the instrumentation now but it's rather lovely nonetheless.  If it was being made now I imagine cultural sensibilities would have ensured a Welsh composer got the gig... Robin has now been there twice as long as he ever lived in Scotland of course...

The only RW CD I haven't listened to, ever, is the Robert Louis Stevenson album. Amazingly, I still have it sealed. This happens occasionally: I leave things for a rainy day, forget them, decide to play something else.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1184 on: December 09, 2023, 03:06:31 PM »

The only RW CD I haven't listened to, ever, is the Robert Louis Stevenson album. Amazingly, I still have it sealed. This happens occasionally: I leave things for a rainy day, forget them, decide to play something else.

I've got a digitised copy if you're precious about opening it?   Wink Grin

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1185 on: December 10, 2023, 10:52:21 AM »

That's kind of you David.  I don't  listen to files very much but it would be a way to audition the album.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1186 on: December 10, 2023, 11:37:24 AM »

That's kind of you David.  I don't  listen to files very much but it would be a way to audition the album.

Sent you a message with the link.  Enjoy...

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1187 on: December 11, 2023, 08:55:02 AM »

Sent you a message with the link.  Enjoy...

Thankyou David!  
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #1188 on: December 12, 2023, 04:19:05 PM »

Large plants - The Thorn

Psychedelic folk-rock - perfect for those dark, spooky winter days  Smiley

https://ghostbox.greedbag.com/buy/the-thorn-1/

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1189 on: December 12, 2023, 04:50:21 PM »

Large plants - The Thorn

Never heard (of) them before and on one listen just now it was decent, if ever so slightly failing to make me think it was massively original.  

Much more of a focus on the psychedelic and rock than folk (& more of a psychedelic revival variety than 60's based), I'd suggest.  I'll listen again.  Interesting...thanks for the heads up.

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1190 on: December 13, 2023, 09:33:50 AM »

John Martyn  :  Couldn't Live You More/ No Little  Boy  (One World 2CD, 1998).

I was rather dismissive of these releases when I first played them, but I have to admit my view has changed. I saw them as JM  being his own tribute band, recycling well tried material at a lull in his career perhaps.  I listened to both discs last night and found them enjoyable, and it was interesting to compare tracks with the original versions, in my mind.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1191 on: December 13, 2023, 05:09:42 PM »

Al Stewart Famous Last Words and Orange.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1192 on: December 14, 2023, 08:45:38 AM »

Both good ones, from different ends of his career

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1193 on: December 14, 2023, 09:27:27 AM »

Orange I've always loved.   There isn't a bad AS album imo.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1194 on: December 15, 2023, 10:18:40 AM »

I'd agree with both those comments.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #1195 on: December 15, 2023, 10:39:56 AM »

Large plants - The Thorn

Never heard (of) them before and on one listen just now it was decent, if ever so slightly failing to make me think it was massively original.  

Much more of a focus on the psychedelic and rock than folk (& more of a psychedelic revival variety than 60's based), I'd suggest.  I'll listen again.  Interesting...thanks for the heads up.

I'm glad you gave it a try, David. It's very largely the work of Jack Sharp (Wolf People) who seems to genuinely embrace folklore and folk music, in amongst the rock sound. While I get what you say about the sound being more "revival" in style, it still puts me in mind of a few early seventies bands who tried to fuse a sort of heavy folk-rock with a bit of quasi-mysticism. But I think Jack Sharp has a genuine passion for these ideas and moods, and it's not just a bit of stoned whimsy  Smiley

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1196 on: December 15, 2023, 11:07:05 AM »

Large plants - The Thorn

I'm glad you gave it a try, David. It's very largely the work of Jack Sharp (Wolf People) who seems to genuinely embrace folklore and folk music, in amongst the rock sound. While I get what you say about the sound being more "revival" in style, it still puts me in mind of a few early seventies bands who tried to fuse a sort of heavy folk-rock with a bit of quasi-mysticism. But I think Jack Sharp has a genuine passion for these ideas and moods, and it's not just a bit of stoned whimsy  Smiley

Ahhh, hadn't made the connection with Wolf People... That makes sense though.

Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1197 on: December 15, 2023, 02:43:01 PM »

For me, Last Days of the Century comes close!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1198 on: December 15, 2023, 05:43:23 PM »

I grew to love it.  🙂  It's produc ed differently from any other AS album.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1199 on: December 15, 2023, 07:20:48 PM »

I grew to love it.  🙂  It's produc ed differently from any other AS album.

Yes, it contains some jewels, like Josephine Baker, Fields of France and Helen & Cassandra, but I'm less keen on it than many of his albums apart from those songs.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: